Visa run; 72 hr min - or in/out same day ok?

I live in Drake (on the Osa) and have been to Paso Canoas 5 times with 5 different results, I guess I would like to know what is correct.

My understanding is that before the 90 day visa expires, one needs to leave the country for 72 hrs in order to be given a new 90 day visa. Additionally if one is out for 72 hrs, one can import up to $500 worth duty-free.

But what happens if one exits and re-enters the same day ?
Will a new 90 day visa be granted ? (I know the duty-free will not apply.)
In Paso Canoas a muchacho will do this for $100 (actually hand in the passport on the return to CR to a "buddy" in the office), but is the visa actually legal ? (It is the computerized date/time stamp.)

Paso Canoas is something of an arm-pit and if I can day trip the visit I would like to, save some $ as well.

Bill

If you exit and return on the same day, probably you will get a 90 day visa. However, some border guards interpret the 72 hrs to apply to visas as well (legally, you should get a new 90 day visa, but knowing this will not change the fact that you may not get it).  So, you take a small chance - may be worth it.
If you personally do *not* leave the country - if your buddy takes your passport to get stamped - then you are illegal. If caught, you could be deported for many years, with no time or chance to collect even your toothbrush. Definitely *NOT* worth it.

Hi JulieH,

Thanks for your answer, you seem to be the most responsive on this forum.

When I go 'out' for 3 days I actually stay in Paso Canoas, but I do nothing to attract attention (bar-hopping, etc.) i.e. having my passport checked.

In any case I am now 'with' my passport at all times, was not once and CR siezed it - had to go pick it up in person, moderate hassle and a big lecture with a written warning blah blah.

From your answer, even if the individual will not issue the visa, I could simply wait out the 2 1/2 more days ? (I suspect that CR looks only at the dates on the CR visa stamps.)

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill -
that's what I would do - try coming back the same day, and if no 90-day visa is forthcoming, then stay out longer.
Still waiting to find out about that $100 renewal - no one's sure if it will apply to those who normally get a 90-day visa.
Julie

Hi Julie,

Are you referring to $100 'extra' for a 180 day visa instead of the std 90 day ?
I've heard it discussed, but seen nothing written.

Please let me know if it is factual, and I will ask also directly when I go in late April.

Best, Bill

The new immigration law (now in effect) allows for a visa renewal for $100, w/o leaving the country.
What is not clear is whether it applies to 90-day visas, or only visas *less* than 90 days.
It is also not clear just yet where to get these.

ah
in Inside Costa Rica the $100 cited was the monthly penalty for overstaying the 90 day visa, in order to get a new visa

??

Best, Bill

the penalty is another part of the new law - each month (and I think any part of a month counts as one month) that you overstay your visa, you are fined $100. I believe you have a choice to either pay it, or stay out of the country for 3 times the amount of time you overstayed. It could be both (I'm not that "up" on that aspect).
And just paying the fine does not renew your visa.
BTW - ARCR keeps on top of these things. Do you know about the forum? forums.arcr.net/

Thanks again Julie

no, I did not know of ARCR - will visit

Best, Bill

You can now pay $100 per month to Immigration in San Jose (read long lines) to extend your original 90 day visa into 6 months.  (They say they are thinking about adding post offices for payment centers for those that live far from San Jose - we'll see)  Anyway, you can do this up to 3 times for a total of one year.  At that time, you must leave the country for 72 hours.  If you overstay your 90 day, you are fined $100 per month.  You can pay the fine or leave the country for 3 times the amount of time you were here illegally.  I would not give my passport to anyone for your 72-hour exit - you may never be able to return if caught.  Why not just spend 3 days in Panama and call it a vacation!

Thanks for the info tweety
I go to SJ perhaps once a year, but a local post office would be sweet
- let me know if it happens

Bill

2 recent visa extension experiences in Paso Canoas:

A couple of friends went to PC by car for a one/day in/out for a 90 day visa. No way said the clerk; 30 days. After much pleading, cedulas and vehicle papers; changed the days to 80 - with a lecture about their need to change their visa status.
Everyone else was getting 30 days, no more.

I went this Monday by taxi to do the same in/out looking for 90. I was able to 'get it done', but only with the assistance of a local to walk me through it. It works, but not recommended.

Has anyone waited in line at immigration in SJ ?
Results ?

Bill

[moderated: commercial ads not allowed in forums! pls insert an ad in Classifieds]

Hello Folks,
I arrived mid Aug from US and was given only a 30 day visa with no explanation.     My passport has added pages and not many empty spaces for her stamp - she seemed put out about that. 
Can someone recommend a fixer here in Heredia to guide me thru the $100 extension process ?   I don't speak Spanish well and   I don't want to do a visa run so soon.
Muchas Thanks
A Good Guy Gringo

Hi ggg,

if you find a 'fixer', let me know
8919-1708  Bill

Thanks

I would like to put word out on a same day tourist visa renewal service. It works like this once a month a charter flight takes you from Pavas airport to Nicaragua to the Indio lodge on the Atlantic side. Its a 30 min flight, take a small tour of the area. You are fed a small breakfast and large brunch. You arrive back to Pavas airport around noon. Upon arrival you pass thru immigration and given a fresh 90 days on your passport, they even provide you a return ticket to Nicaragua. I have done this twice in the last 6 months with no issues or problems, overstays you can pay the $100 fine (at the departure tax booth at Pavas). In addition the 72 hour rule applies to customs regulation in order to bring into country $500 of duty items at no cost, take a moment and look at the forms. The CR immigration form does not ask if have been out of the country, the CR customs form is the form requesting the 72hr info. The total cost including departure fees and entrée fees to Nicaragua is $270 per person for further info contact: Eric 8649-7384 or Mike 8334-7158. Very easy and convenient for those who prefer staying a tourist.

i WANT TO LEAVE THIS WEDNESDAY MORNING, HELP ME OUT IF YOU CAN?

The next flight is in the first week of May, contact Mike or Eric.

ouch I must be out by the 25th guess it will be tico bus to NIC. Guess it will be TICO bus this time' Thanks

The Tico bus will be fun David.  :-).  Long and hot, but fun.  Tee hee. I can't laugh too much.  Before I know it, I will be taking the Tico bus

Ill fill you in not a big deal just a day on a bus another adventure.
Had my life threatened Friday, just in a days work.lol

Nooooo!  Tell me about it. Either here or private or email. [email protected]

Do not give your passport to anyone to get stamped. IT IS ILLEGAL!!!! this is safest way I have found to renew your visa the same day and its a fun trip.

Yes its legit!!!! as I said I have done it twice with this company. Besides being very, very, convenient its fun too. Call Eric or Mike its there company and have all the details. I am going up in June to get my visa renewed.

Call Mike or Eric to get details on the fine your probably OK. I have overstayed by 2-3 weeks without issue. An issue can come up if leave before your 90 days are up. If you go up 5 days before your 90 is up technically immigration may only give you 4 days to complete the 90. The 1 or more monthly overstays seem to be issue with immigration.

There are ways of obtaining legal residence by which you can avoid this matter of having to leave the country when your tourist visa expires. If you would like for me to recommend a residence category to you, please write to me at [email protected] or at [email protected] Some people have been pleasantly surprised to find out that it is not as difficult to obtain residence as they had heard. Lic. Arcelio Hernandez, Jr.

I am a pensionado here now; but it took me a year to make my mind up to stay or not. This is good option prior to making a very big decision, once you do this you will never take the bus again. Also I have friends that prefer to stay tourist. They stay for 6-7 months year this provides them an option to be and stay here legally.

Yes, but normally if you stay in a country for more than six months, the correct thing to do is to obtain legal residence in that country. Otherwise, you run the risk of not being accepted back in. But some people like to take risks, even when they have significant investments here. I have clients and friends who go to San Andres island to renew their visa. It's a very nice destination, inexpensive, and much better than going to Nicaragua or Panama. I have personally visited the island two or three times, and it is beautiful place to do snorkling and relax for a few days. I recommend the DeCameron hotels, there are six on the island, and you have free access to all of their six facilities and all-you-can-eat restaurants and bars. Another nice and inexpensive option is Cuba. You will definitely enjoy the food, the beaches, the scenery, the culture, the people, and the safety. Many US citizens worry about what the US government will think about their going on vacation to Cuba, but they do not stamp your passport, and they definitely do not tell Obama that you visited the island. LOL

Very good JAAJAJA