Working Visa China HIV Positive

Hello everyone, recently I got a job in China, Shanghai one year contract, I know that people living with HIV face discrimination in education and at work. What should my actions be like?  I am HIV positive and I've been on medication for 2 years already. I have no viral load, The virus has long been undetectable. Will I face problems?

And most importantly, I want to work there for more than 6 months, which means I'll be needed an Health Check to get residence permit from my emplyer! I cannot find any correct and reliable information about people's being on therapy. What should I do? I am really afraid of winding up in jail! I was told by the ANAIDS "You don't need to disclosure your status, which means you don't need to tell your employer if they don't ask." I do not really get this sentence - what does the prhase "don't tell them" mean? I mean they won't ask you they'll be supposed to check you medicine check- up. And they'll see. And another question the medicaments. What is the unsuspicios quantity of them to bring along with me so that no unnecessary and boresome quiestions occur

Hello Downtown93,

Till members provide you some feedback, have a look at the following, could be useful : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 32#4643678

Regards,

Bhavna

Below are information from UNAID wedsite under their document section. Seems pretty positive. http://www.unaids.org.cn/?_l=en

3. Four documents--Working Rules on Visas and Residence Permits for Foreigners, Regulations on the Management of Employment of Foreigners in China, Administrative Rules on the Acceptance of Foreign Students by Colleges and Universities, and Procedures for Approval andManagement of Permanent Residence of Foreigners in China and Implementation Regulations -- only mention that health certificates are required for foreigners' employment, school admission and residence in China. There is no stated clause of restriction on people living with HIV after abolishing the Specification of issuing health certificate for entry-exit personnel."

below is the updated brochure from UNAIDS China http://hkb980dd.pic44.websiteonline.cn/ … nChina.pdf

i just wanna give an update on my situation, as I'm now in China and I HIV+. Hopefully this be helpful to whoever.

Although according to UNAID, no restriction on your status and i have confirmed this thru email communication with UNAID.

But ....

HIV test will be still included when u do ur medical checkout in order to apply for the resident permit. Your condition will be reported to your company (actually not to CDC for follow-up), as your company will need to decide if they wanna continue to support ur other permit application. So they still can deny you.

I'm very lucky, my HR and company doctor, were helping me to protect my privacy (i hope is truth) and no discrimination on my condition. I received my work permit and resident permit last week.

However, since HR don't know how to handle my status, so i'm currently on quarantine, mean time i have followup blook work ... etc with local hospital.  Not sure when this quarantine will be ended, as if this continue, i will have difficutly to explain to my supervisor, why i can't come it to work.   

It was a very very stressful month since i arrived China month ago, and the stress will continue till HR decided how to "handle me".

Hi there,

I'm interested to hear how you are managing with the Quarantine, etc. It doesn't seem to make any sense.

Maybe you have now passed the "quarantine"? Even though this is a non-communicable disease!

Best of luck and keep me posted please!

Lucas.

@downtown93 Hi there, I am interested to find out if you were successful with your teaching plans for China?

Best regards,

@chinabound  hello ... i think i probably shouldn't use the word "quarantine". I guess i'm just really frustrated when i wrote that post and somehow quarantine is how i felt. In reality, I just wasn't allowed to be back to office till the company have figured out what to do with my status. But i'm free to leave my apartment. Well ... this is indeed a non-communicable condition, however, since the test is still included during the entry health check, the hospital will not label ur test result as "passed" and u will have no choice to let ur hiring company know and they will decide what's next.

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. The situation does sound anxiety-provoking. I hope that you heard back from your school or hiring company and they were able to let you start teaching? Or are you still waiting to hear?

Hi, thank you for sharing with us!

Please tell us if you are now working for your company and if everything is fine. I'm in the same process with a big company and about to move next month in Shanghai. I wonder If I should tell the company im hiv+ because in the offer I signed it's mentioned that the offer letter will be ineffective when there is an unqualified health check report...

@Budirano i'm back to office and work as “normal”  employee. My status kept only between me, head of HR and company doc.

To make ur relocation less complicated, i think u should discuss with HR, in the case if health check fail (which you will), will they proceed with ur residential application. As, according to china law, you can't be discriminated and they can't deny your employment due to ur status.

Hi all, has there been any updates on this? It would be good to find out about the visa-stage part of the process in addition to the in-country stage. Thanks!