Rent a flat or a house in Santo Domingo

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Santo Domingo. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Santo Domingo.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Santo Domingo?

How to find a home in Santo Domingo: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Santo  Domingo  is a HUGE city  and  it  is important to first identify  where you want to live and why.  Things you want to consider:

Stability of  electric  supply
Stability of water supply
Are there phone and internet  lines available in the area
Do you need access to public transportation
Do you need   good schools and shopping close by
Is the area  safe for your lifestyle

Once you establish what is important then start to narrow down  areas (urbanizations) and  specific areas withing  that. Sometimes you will find a  4 block  area that is  just perfect.

Once you establish this then start  walking or driving down the streets, if you speak spanish, ask!  People are friendly and will help you. Enlist the  help of a local. Look for signs.Here they really  don't advertise too much and an agent will want a full month of rent for their help.

Normal terms are 2month deposit and 1month for the agent.  then you pay rent in arrears not in advance. This can depend on the landlord and contract. A contract is NORMAL.  But it does not cost more then 2,000 RD for a contract. Do not pay more then this.

Sometimes you will need a local willing to sign for you!  I can understand this as  it is not uncommon for  expats to up and skip town.

Prices will vary   widely.  It can go from 3,500 RD  a month for  a room and shared bathroom to  5,000 AMERICAN  dollars for a penthouse  suite or  beautiful waterfront home.  Here is where a knowledgable  local comes in, they can guide you on  pricing.

I live in the colonial zone and I pay a premium to live right near work,  able to walk to  supermarkets,hardware stores and all the restaurants and  clubs I want.

I  would spend the  time to  get to  know an  area  before signing a  lease!  Ask lots and lots of  questions and do  not take  what you are told at face value!  Confirm!

Thanks for your contribution planner!

Harmonie.:)

You are  very  welcome!

Come and visit for a few months and explore the country.  There are many places to "settle" down in depending on what your interests are.

Bob K

Agreed without a lot more info it is really hard for us to give you any advice.

And be careful what you write on an open forum!