Commuting to Santo Domingo

Hi all!

My husband and I are moving to the DR in mid-March for ten months. I will be doing research that will include frequent short trips, and I will need to do some archival research in Santo Domingo. Up until recently, my husband and I just assumed we should live in Santo Domingo for practical reasons, but as I read about rental prices in one of the other forum topics, I started to wonder if we could live elsewhere to save money.

Basically, my question is this: are there other cities where I could live that would be more affordable than Santo Domingo? I would maybe commute to Santo Domingo 1-3 times a week depending on my research. Specifically, anywhere we can be near a beach?

Thank you in advance!

Planner lives in that  area and I am sure she  will be along shortly to give you some information

Bob  K

I think you can find more affordable housing in SD too, as Bob said planner knows the area, she might be able to help you.

From my personal experience, I would still stay in SD instead of commuting 2 - 3 times a week from somewhere else. Maybe you save few pesos, but the time to travel back and forth - not sure if it's worth it. Living by the beach won't be much cheaper than SD - my guess. I am not sure what prices you got and where exactly in the capital city.
Good luck
Denise

Hi Maryal

I hope you reconsider your plans of looking for an affordable place by the beach and away from S.D. or you will end up finding something like Boca Chica, you really don't want to be there.

In Santo Domingo the best neighborhoods are by affordability and safety:

$$$$ Los Casicascos, El Naco, El Piantini, La Esperilla
$$$  Gazcue, El millon, Las Praderas, Los Prados.
$$    Ensanche Ozama, Zona Colonial, Alma Rosa I & II

Small towns at the beach and safe, away from S.D. to consider are :
-Las Calderas de Bani. 2 hours approximately from SD. Dark sand beaches
-Palmar de Ocoa. 2h 45min from S.D. Dark sand beaches
-Pueblo de las Dunas de Bani.  2 hours approximately from SD. Dark sand beaches
-Bayahibe 3hours, More touristic influenced.

I would rather do it the other way around, rent in Sto Domingo, and commute to the beach as much as you want.

Cheers

Santo Domingo has many affordable areas that are safer then where expats tend to want to live.  The more expensive areas above are where I would never want to live.

My hunch is you would live in Santo Domingo and commute to the beach when needed.  Living in Boca Chica would not be good.  Nearest beach area to Santo Domingo that you might consider is Juan Folio. 

There are some decent areas on the east end of Santo Domingo.

Just a small correction to the distance from SD to Bayahibe, it actually takes 50 minutes from SD airport to Bayahibe, from the city is a bit longer depending on where exactly you will be and of course on the traffic. Go with what planner said, she knows the SD area the best :)
Denise