SGN airport

Anyone traveled internationally from SGN recently?  The official advice is get there 3 hours ahead of time, which seems unnecessarily cautious. Is 2 hours reasonable?   

I can't comment on the place, but I do g a bit over-well prepared whet comes to air travel.

I would go with the tree hours, get checked in, then food and a coffee.

Safe is good when it comes to airports and not missing flights.

Anyone traveled internationally from SGN recently? The official advice is get there 3 hours ahead of time, which seems unnecessarily cautious. Is 2 hours reasonable? 
-@CHRISLANGTON

I personally think at least 2 1/2 hours is appropriate, if you're flying economy class, though I admit I haven't flown out of there internationally since June of 2021.

Economy class lines at ticketing/baggage check-in can be very long and slow, especially the closer you get to flight time.

Same for security screening lines.

Also, please remember part of the reason for recommending 3 hours: they are essentially working in the possibility of a major traffic problem or something that you wouldn't otherwise plan for on your way to the airport.

If you are flying business class, lines will be shorter and quicker, and you can have a relaxing break in the Lotus Lounge.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

When I flew out in July, albeit more busy during the summer months I got there 2.5 hours early and had to rush to the gate as it was already half boarded.  It took 1.5 hours just to get the ticket and then another hour for security/customs.  I'm going 3 hours early this Saturday.

When I flew out in July, albeit more busy during the summer months I got there 2.5 hours early and had to rush to the gate as it was already half boarded. It took 1.5 hours just to get the ticket and then another hour for security/customs. I'm going 3 hours early this Saturday.
-@SteinNebraska

You are leaving SGN International on Saturday? Then please post how the terminal was!  Going Bangkok in 3 wks.

When I flew out in July, albeit more busy during the summer months I got there 2.5 hours early and had to rush to the gate as it was already half boarded. It took 1.5 hours just to get the ticket and then another hour for security/customs. I'm going 3 hours early this Saturday.
-@SteinNebraska

You are leaving SGN International on Saturday? Then please post how the terminal was! Going Bangkok in 3 wks.
-@gobot

No problem.  Will do.  I'll be back again in January.

-@SteinNebraska

You are leaving SGN International on Saturday? Then please post how the terminal was! Going Bangkok in 3 wks.
-@gobot
No problem. Will do. I'll be back again in January.
-@SteinNebraska

Happy Holidays in advance 1f383.svg1f983.svg1f332.svg1f387.svg

So I had a 7:00 flight this morning and I said I would be there theee hours early due to the crowd in July.  Well, maybe 30 people in front of me in the ticket line when I arrived at 4:00.  They didn't open ticketing until 4:00.  That took 10 minutes.  Then walked up to the only immigration agent.  No wait.  Passed in a minute.  Then to security where I walked straight up to the agent.  I was to my gate by 4:20.   So yes it has slowed significantly after the summer rush for international flights.

Flew from SGN to DMK (Don Mueang Int'l Airport) in Bangkok a couple of days ago. Hired OceanBeach's recommended driver to get us to HCMC from Geezerville (Vũng Tàu). We left a bit after 9 am and arrived about 11:40. There was a bit of traffic congestion in the city (This is referred to as 'understatement'.).

We got out of the car, gathered our stuff and were at the check-in counter in literally a minute as it was located right where we entered the terminal and there was no line at all.

It should be noted that the airline DID ask for an onward ticket. We all got visa on arrival in Thailand of 45 days.

Immigration and security were similarly over in a few minutes, so we had over an hour before boarding began at 1:30 to walk around and laugh at the absurd prices of food and goods.