V.A. is there a Va hospital in panama?

I am a vetern,I get my health care from them,?????? What information do you have on this?

SCOTNEY yes there is in Panama City. Its at the Hospital National and its 1st class. Problem you need to be either on FMP or service related disability. Also, they can't access your records from here. If u need to get FMP I have the name of the gentleman at the VFW in PC to assist you. I'm going thru the same thing right now.

Good luck.
Jim

The VA system in Panama isnt very good, my father is a veteran and we lived in panama for six years. During those six years he never got the attention he needed.

Hi Jim:
I would really appreciate the name of the gentleman at the VFW in PC that can assist me with getting setup with FMP for veteran befefit coverage at the Hospital National in Panama City.

All the best,
Ken

I would like any info. on the FMP also on the  VA health care in the states.

So if anyone has info. Please post.

You have to have Tri Care to get it here in Panama. I don't know what FMP is. The VA care in South Florida is excellent. I've been using it for almost 20 years now. At my age we get free meds sent to my door and free checkups yearly with all necessary tests included.

I wouldn't get any insurance at my age now bcoz the VA has all that I need.

Good luck

Jim

Hi Jim
I would really like to know a contact at the VFW please.
Can you tell me what TriCsre its.
Thanks
Richard
Rlmehrer at gmail

I'm not sure if my post went.  I'm a veteran moving from NY to Panama. (planning stage)  I.  46, retired and waiting on my disability and about 100k in backpack. I've done research and decided Panama is the place to go.
BUT I NEEEEED HEALTHCARE.  I currently have VA Healthcare.  Is there anything special I need to obtain VA Healthcare in Panama?
Are there chat forums with Americans that are already in Panama that would like to help.
Thanks all,
Donnie
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

You are going to need Tri-Care here in Panama.

Jim,
What is FMP?

The Foreign Medical Program (FMP) is a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care benefits program for Veterans with VA rated service-connected conditions that are residing or traveling abroad. Under FMP, VA assumes payment responsibility for certain necessary health care services associated with the treatment of service-connected conditions, disabilities associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected condition, and care for Veterans participating in a rehabilitation program under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 31.

Here's a link to the VA site explaining the FMP program, FAQs, and enrollment information.

http://www.va.gov/PURCHASEDCARE/programs/veterans/fmp/

There are no VA Hospitals in Panama (duh), but this is a reimbursement program as Invader609 states for medical costs incurred by non-U.S. resident citizens in connection with service-related conditions and disabilities only

Thinking of moving to Panama as well in a year year in a half time and 100% disabled I need VA access any information about this process can you email me at xxx

Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.

Read the previous post!!

If you read the previous posts, you will have your answers.  :cool::dumbom:

Thank you.

There is NO VA coverage or hospitals in Panama. There is an organization that has been trying to get the VA to work with them, but that has been going on for more than 5 years and so far nothing. I do get my prescriptions through the VA by mail. However, I have to go back to the U.S. annually to have a physical and renew my prescriptions. Do not let anyone tell you that they will cover you with the VA, there is NO VA coverage in Panama, that is a pure scam.

Sunnymikkel wrote:

There is NO VA coverage or hospitals in Panama. There is an organization that has been trying to get the VA to work with them, but that has been going on for more than 5 years and so far nothing. I do get my prescriptions through the VA by mail. However, I have to go back to the U.S. annually to have a physical and renew my prescriptions. Do not let anyone tell you that they will cover you with the VA, there is NO VA coverage in Panama, that is a pure scam.

Of course, if the poster's disability is service related and his participation in the program has been approved following the application process with the VA (link posted above several times) he may be reimbursed for certain medical costs incurred in Panama, but as you confirm there is no direct insurance coverage in the sense that the VA deals directly with the healthcare providers.

Thanks

Sir, there is a state of the art Hospital in Panama City dedicated to U.S. veterans.  It is not owned, run, or operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs, but it is approved and rated superior by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  The millions of dollars in funds to build the hospital was donated by the owner of Home Depot and several other wealthy veterans and organizations.  There is a V.A. Representative in David who can give you all the details along with all the other veterans benefits available if you would like to contact him and get the official and up to date information.

strkerinpanama wrote:

Sir, there is a state of the art Hospital in Panama City dedicated to U.S. veterans.  It is not owned, run, or operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs, but it is approved and rated superior by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  The millions of dollars in funds to build the hospital was donated by the owner of Home Depot and several other wealthy veterans and organizations.

What's the name of this hospital to which you refer?  Where is it located?

You should get all additional information concerning V.A. benefits in Panama from the V.A. Representative from this point forward.  That way you will know it is correct and up to date.  I am new to this country and have been here less than two years and was given a lot of incorrect information about medical services and V.A. benefits before I came by people who simply do not know the facts.  There are many expats here and all are very eager to give you information based only on their individual experiences.  You can contact the V.A. Representative at:  xxx for valid and up to-date information concerning V.A. benefits in Panama.

Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
strkerinpanama wrote:

You should get all additional information concerning V.A. benefits in Panama from the V.A. Representative from this point forward.  That way you will know it is correct and up to date.  I am new to this country and have been here less than two years and was given a lot of incorrect information about medical services and V.A. benefits before I came by people who simply do not know the facts.  There are many expats here and all are very eager to give you information based only on their individual experiences.  You can contact the V.A. Representative at:  xxx for valid and up to-date information concerning V.A. benefits in Panama.

That's what I thought!  Some expat is working an angle.   Like an official V.A. rep would use hotmail.

Good luck with your plans to come to Panama.  It is a wonderful place.

I am moving to Panama next month. I am looking for info about VA care availability there. I am service connected disabled and require monthly meds. Would appreciate any advise and/or contact info anyone might have.

Kandymill wrote:

I am moving to Panama next month. I am looking for info about VA care availability there. I am service connected disabled and require monthly meds. Would appreciate any advise and/or contact info anyone might have.

Read Post #12 above for enrollment and other information.

I am 100% disabled Viet Nam veteran. Are there any other places in Panama where I can be treated for my diabetes, dialysis, and more?

rojo9314 wrote:

I am 100% disabled Viet Nam veteran. Are there any other places in Panama where I can be treated for my diabetes, dialysis, and more?

There are plenty of hospitals and clinics in Panama that I am certain could treat you for your medical needs, but your status as a U.S. veteran does not provide you any benefits in Panama, such as free medical care or reimbursement by the U.S. government for your out-of-pocket medical expense.  The only exception I know of is acceptance by the VA in the U.S. for participation in the program linked multiple times already in this thread - a program that may permit reimbursement to you for medical expenses incurred outside the U.S. for treatment associated with service related disability.  Again, this is a U.S. program you apply for if your disability is service related.  I hope this helps.

Hi, I´m new here, just landed on this page pretty much by accident. As you, I am a vet living in Panama and haven`t "enjoyed" ANY VA benefits whatsoever. I heard on TVN news that there´s an association of sorts formed by U.S. Vets who help other vets with the VA but I couldn´t quite catch who they are or how to contact them. Also, in your answer to Jim you state that you have the name, and maybe contact info?, of a person who can help with FM. Can you help me with this?

Thanks!!

This is a thread started in 2012 but with current responses and queries.  Thanks to everyone who has posted info in here.  I am also interested in relocating to PC area and was wondering about VA affiliated healthcare.

Another question I have about panama:  is this country really friendly to American expats?  Are there hard feelings about the crushing American response to the Noriega affair?  I am also considering Costa Rica due to its large expat community, but would enjoy free healthcare in a country which once had 60,000  Americans in it!  I am surprised the VA does not have a 'real' oresense in PC.

desertstormer wrote:

This is a thread started in 2012 but with current responses and queries.  Thanks to everyone who has posted info in here.  I am also interested in relocating to PC area and was wondering about VA affiliated healthcare.

Another question I have about panama:  is this country really friendly to American expats?  Are there hard feelings about the crushing American response to the Noriega affair?  I am also considering Costa Rica due to its large expat community, but would enjoy free healthcare in a country which once had 60,000  Americans in it!  I am surprised the VA does not have a 'real' oresense in PC.

Again, there is no VA hospital or VA affiliated healthcare facility in Panama.  The only VA medical facility in a foreign country (that is, outside the U.S. or any U.S. territory) is an outpatient clinic in the Philippines.  Again, those who apply and are qualified can received reimbursement under the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) for certain service-related expenses they incur.  "Free" healthcare is only available to you in the U.S.

Panamanians are neither impressed nor unimpressed with Americans and other expats.  Don't expect outward hostility and don't expect them to fawn all over you.  Those you get to know will treat you the way you treat them.  Panamanians are proud so stirring up resentment in any way is a pretty dumb thing to do as a guest - and may lead to getting knocked on the head, especially around days of national celebration.  I have never seen uniformed U.S. military folks - for good reason - but ample private "contractors" such as pilots working for U.S. DEA flying missions with the local agencies, but they look and act like tourists to me.  Just my observations and opinions from time spent there.....defer to others with greater knowledge, whose experiences my differ.

Hey, SawMan!  I dig the nickname!

I am relieved that you perceive no lingering hostility over Noriega-era events!  This gives me great hope!

So, if I am FMP approved, I might be reinbursed in 'any' foreign country for service connected issues?  I am going to a VA site seeking more info.  I have never heard of FMP before last night.

Hi there,
I am new to the blog, but I DO have some experience with VA. Folks, if you have ANY service connected disability, established and recognized by the VA Health System, you will be reimbursed ANYWHERE in the world. In the case of Panama hospitals you might have to pay upfront, but the FMP office would help you. Here is their information. Take Care and Thank You for your service to our nation!

How to Apply for FMP

Enrolling in FMP is simple. Send your full name, mailing address, address of residence (including country), U.S. Social Security number and VA claim number to:

VHA Office of Community Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

We will confirm your service-connected disabilities and send you a benefits authorization letter, which outlines the medical conditions we cover.
IMPORTANT NOTE: A copy of your rating decision that includes the listing and description of all service‑connected disabilities is required to determine Veteran eligibility. If you do not have a copy of your rating decision, FMP will request one from your servicing VA Regional Office.

Also, here is the link:
https://www.va.gov/communitycare/progra … /index.asp

A hospital  is  been  build in Brisas del  Golf,  Hospital  Brisas, at the 3rd  floor of  the do it center,  they take  good  care  of  veterans  and  send  your  medication  home,,,  they  actually  have  clinics  in  chiriqui, chorrera, and  2  in  Panama  city...     507-831-6116,  they  could  help  all  veterans  with health  care issues,   hosptal san fernando, nacional,  also have  offices  that  help  veterans.  I found the  people  at  san  fernando  hospital more  friendly  that  those  of  hospital  national...    but the  folks  at  your  pharmacy are  the  best with all  their  clinics  and the  new hospital....  also  for more  assistance  the  retiree  office  in  corozal,  can help a lot  and  you can get  your  ID card made  or  re new and are  staffed with volunteers  veterans and  those  guys  knows  all  the  tricks  of the  trade  for  living  in panama...    their  number  is 507  317-6560   are  open tuesday and thursday  from  9 - 12,     Panama  is  much  better  than mexico  or  costa  rica  for retire  living,  just  the  discounts   for  airlinee tickets  of  25%  nobody  else  in the  world  give  that,  plus  all the  other  discounts  including  medical, food, and  taxes...    plus  panama  is  more  secure  and  inexpensive  than costa  rica  or  mexico....   Ive  been  here  for 15  years,  and  no  regret...  is  a  different  culture and  dont  expect people  in  panama to  act like  your  are  use to in  kansas  or alabama....  this  is  Panama... people  are  humble  and appreciate  expats,,,

There isn't one but there is a clinic in la chorrea called Dr. Care that helps with Tricare and VA. They will inform you with all the information you need. They help me out with FMP and paperwork and give discounts for being military.

Sort of las brias deals with vets. Write Dave ajax,vet service officer, [email protected] or 507 978 8201

Sort of , in panama city,Las Brias hospital 507309 2300 deals with vets. Write Dave ajax,vet service officer, [email protected] or 507 978 8201
Doctors care ,LA Chorrera 2530632

there is no va hospital ,, a friend of mine stayed in hospital national and had help not sure what coverage but he also had soc sec here etc.

i have been here 17 years have had some issues as well ,, is cheap compared to the states unless you go to patilla is more expensive then the states some things

The hospital national was OK,I went there for nearly 3 years,not the las Bria's hospital is better. Write to vet serviceofficer Dave Ajax [email protected]