Health care in Panama

hi, all -

we're planning on moving to Panama, the time factor possibly being who wins the presidential election.

i've read and/or scanned several forums and haven't found an answer to my specific concern.

my husband is almost 71, i am 64. we have health problems, i.e. -COPD and chronic bronchitis which sometimes moves into pneumonia.

my question: i realize we will need private insurance. are there restrictions on age to receive that insurance and what's the real deal on pre-existing conditions on the insurance? would we just have to pay more or would it be impossible to get private insurance. how about the local insurance? what are the requirements there, if we can't get the private kind?

we're strongly considering Boquete - are their lst class hospitals in David? i seem to be hearing varying opinions on that.

we can't live on the coast due to the humidity (which doesn't go well with asthma and COPD) - any other good places you can recommend near doctors and hospitals (if needed) in dryer areas of Panama?

thanks. pat ;)

Hi redoaklady,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you will find soon responses to your questions.

All the best,
Christine

Dear Redoaklady

I have lived in Panama for a while.  Health care is very good and not too expensive.  Best care is near Panama City.
There are age restrictions for health care but you can try companies like ASSA or BLUE Cross Blue Shield.
Best is to affiliate with San Fernando or Santa Fe hospital who will give healthcare to elderly expats.

Ursula

Thanks Urshen - we'll have to check it out.

Hi Pat,

I am considering a relocation to Boquete with my Mom.  I have the same questions and am eagerly awaiting responses.  We'll see how it goes.

Karen

I know that everyone has different health care needs.  One thing to say about healthcare in general is that insurance has played a large role in why costs and healthcare services are so messed up in the States.  Insurance is getting more common in Panama and can be found...but for most people it is not needed.  Shopping around talking to doctors and discussing prices may sound bizarre to many...but it really creates a market that keeps good practice up and costs down.  In the interior...you can walk into a clinic off the street, see a doctor within a short while and get advice and a prescription...all for $3. My sister wants to get down to Panama for a carpel tunnel surgery.  States = $11,000  Panama Interior = $700.  Depending on the surgery, this kind of shopping around helps.  If I were looking for a neurological operation, I may put less emphasis on the price side and more on the quality etc.

In short, while you guys are comparing insurance companies...keep in mind that you may be able to do without.  Mountain air and good living will hopefully help too!

As BRR mentioned, shopping around is very important here in Panama. A doctor I visit in the city (Panama City) only charges $4 per visit. However, with chronic illnesses, even though you may get by on cheap doctor visits, you'll probably feel more comfortable with insurance. Several frequent travelers I know use Bupa International. Their website is: http://www.bupa-intl.com/. They're supposed to be one of the best, although I know nothing about their fees and services.

Panama City has the best in top notch medical care. The Punta Pacifica hospital is a Johns Hopkins hospital, and is supposed to be the best here in Panama City. Their website is www.hospitalpuntapacifica.com

If you need to live in the mountains (you mentioned Boquete and David), but you want to be closer to Panama City and its excellent healthcare systems, I'd recommend the community of Altos del Cerro Azul. This a gated mountainous community just above a part of the city called 24 de Deciembre, which is located near the Tocumen airport. The roads have a lot of potholes, and there's nothing really on the mountain as far as shopping goes other than a small mini-supermarket. For any other shopping you'd need to travel down the mountain (about 30 minutes) and go about your business along with everyone else in the city. The great things about Cerro Azul is the fact that it is up on the mountain, so it's nice, quiet, tranquil, comfortable, and the weather is great. You don't get the hot temperatures you get in the rest of the city. The average is probably about 70 degrees up there.

Here's the website for Cerro Azul. Not sure how helpful it will be. http://www.losaltosdecerroazul.net/

Again, there are many other mountain communities in Panama, but this is the closest one to the main downtown part of the city, and therefore the closest to the best in healthcare facilities.

I hope some of this info helps. If you want to hear more about random Panama info, check out my blog at www.thestayathomegringo.blogspot.com

Chris

thanks BRR and CMichael - good info, thanks. i've been thinking more and more about the eastern hills/mtns(?) above Panama City as they are somewhat dryer and warmer than Boquete from what i understand. i will be doing much more research of the area. i appreciate your replies. i think we would feel more secure with paid insurance due to our health risks and i think we will have enough to consider that option so will check out the ones listed. we also DON'T want to get too far from supplies, docs and hospitals in case they're necessary - also the dryer weather sounds pretty good. i do thank you for your replies and will check the sites out.

redoaklady wrote:

hi, all -

we're planning on moving to Panama, the time factor possibly being who wins the presidential election.

i've read and/or scanned several forums and haven't found an answer to my specific concern.

my husband is almost 71, i am 64. we have health problems, i.e. -COPD and chronic bronchitis which sometimes moves into pneumonia.

my question: i realize we will need private insurance. are there restrictions on age to receive that insurance and what's the real deal on pre-existing conditions on the insurance? would we just have to pay more or would it be impossible to get private insurance. how about the local insurance? what are the requirements there, if we can't get the private kind?

we're strongly considering Boquete - are their lst class hospitals in David? i seem to be hearing varying opinions on that.

we can't live on the coast due to the humidity (which doesn't go well with asthma and COPD) - any other good places you can recommend near doctors and hospitals (if needed) in dryer areas of Panama?

thanks. pat ;)

Hey Pat, I heard from an 80 year old gentleman who took his wife to a Mexican doctor, she suffered from COPD and chronic bronchitis, and she got a shot in Mexico that cured both diseases in less than two weeks time. I found that to be unbelievable, however my friends tell me , it is not, because Mexico is a country that does stem cell therapy. This gentleman said that after her trip to Mexico was concluded that she had gone to her regular doctor up here in Western Washington and he told her that Mexico allows for stem cell therapies whereas the States doesn't allow it. He then told her she had the lungs of a twenty year old, and her husband asked why they weren't informed by him that this procedure existed somewhere in the world?!!! He was told that the US has strict policies in place by the FDA not to tell us anything about these procedures, as our government continues on a path of self-destruction, I find this not to be too much of a stretch. Either way, if I was suffering from these type of breathing diseases, you can bet you bottom dollar I would look into it in Mexico myself!!!

Kurt......