American staying in Almaty, Kazakhstan

Hi everyone,
  I've been here in Kazakhstan for two weeks now.  I'm finding it very interesting and different.  I am from a small town in California.  I was married this past September and then a week later came here!  I will go back to California in December, then come back again next Fall.  I love my appartment here, but miss my home there.  My husband enjoys his job here and finds it an adventure.  I've run into people from Texas, Washington state, Iowa, and Wyoming.  Mad Murphy's is a great place to meet English speaking people.  It has good food too!
  Bye for now.  Kristal

Welcome on board Kristal!

Are you currently working? Will you tring to find a job in Kazakhstan?

The unfortunate thing about this country is that we don't often hear about it. Is there any english-speaking news website that we could consult to find out how is life over there?

Take care,

Julien

Hi Julian.

Try expat.nursat.kz for information on Kazakhstan.  It has helped me.  I have found restaurants and pubs where other English speaking people go.

I am not looking for a job.  I am learning to be a housewife, with my main goal of learning to speak Russian.  This will help greatly with day to day life.  Thank you.   Kristal

Thanks for the link Kristal!

I am not looking for a job.  I am learning to be a housewife, with my main goal of learning to speak Russian.  This will help greatly with day to day life.

I realized you already answered my question when I read your other posts ;)

I wish you the best,

Julien

Just checking in...

I am an American from North Carolina who is going to be moving to Kazakhstan to live and work in Almaty.

I am interested in anything anyone can contribute here with respect to food and markets.

Thanks,
M

I am on my way to Almaty and would like to know a few things if you don't mind..

What's the housing like? Is it all apartments or houses?  What sqare footage is average for a family dwelling?

Driving or drivers?
Maids?
Beauty salons, clothing, food (shopping in general)
What products/supplies would you stock up on if you could before coming to Almaty?
What is cheap there?
What is expensive?
High speed internet?

anything you can offer, i would appreciate greatly!

Hi,

I am a 29 years old Turkish female. I am a profecional tourist guide in turkey and will work in turkey as a tourist guide during the summer. In the end of the summer im planning to come to Almaty to live 5 months during the winter off season of tourism and learn russian and when the touristic season starts in april come back to turkey again. I got your email from a website about expat in almaty. Are there much students in almaty who comes to learn language from other countries? How can i find a school and arrange my accommodation before i arrive? Could you possibly inform me about those if you can or give me related links or email addresses that i can find an answer?

Regards,

Dilek

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR