- expat blog
- Your favourite team
- From: small earth
- Registered: 2008-06-01
- Posts: 5411
How to make friends in Dominica
We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Dominica
Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Dominica??
Thanks in advance for your participation
The expat blog team
Share your expat experience!
- New member
- From: Venice, FL
- Registered: 2009-04-14
- Posts: 4
Re: How to make friends in Dominica
Best tips to meet locals and make friends anywhere in the world:
1. DON'T be an Ugly American/German/Frenchman/Anyone who is loud, obnoxious (yes you), thinks his/er own country is the greatest place on earth and proclaims it to all, and don't physically or verbally look down on/sneer at/turn your nose up at anything local because it's 'not like home'.
2. Keep your eyes and ears open to the ebb and flow around you.
3. Act with humility not arrogance. Be polite.
4. Don't hang out with your fellow ex-pats; get to know the local people.
5. If you don't know it, learn at least some of the local language or creole.
6. Attend local events
7. Stay out of bars, whorehouses and other dives...