Moving to jakarta - Salary 50m IDR no accommodation - need advices

Hi everyone
I'm new member
I'm actually from morocco casablanca and Have a job offer in jakarta.

the salary is 50m IDR
No accomodation or other benefits are offered.
I will be provided hotel room for 2 first weeks

As you may understand I need all advices possible to help me make the right choices before and in the first 4 weeks.

Thanks for your help

Grab it.
Many people in Jakarta live on 2 to 3 million per month, so you'll be living like a king.
The place is generally safe, and the people are lovely.
Bonus - Indonesian food is fantastic.

To give you an idea.
A small city car would cost you 2 month's salary (if you went wild and bought a really posh one) - A larger car would go to 3 or 4 month's salary.
If you look around to get the right place (avoiding the rip off places aimed at foreigners, you can rent a nice house in a guarded estate for 2 weeks to a month's salary.
Lunch will take you about 10 seconds to earn, unless you go wild and have a party.

Just make sure first that the company is providing/sponsoring you a work permit !!

Never consider working on any visa other then having an IMTA/KITAS.

Thanks
I will ask my employer about this

Fred wrote:

To give you an idea.
A small city car would cost you 2 month's salary (if you went wild and bought a really posh one) - A larger car would go to 3 or 4 month's salary.
If you look around to get the right place (avoiding the rip off places aimed at foreigners, you can rent a nice house in a guarded estate for 2 weeks to a month's salary.
Lunch will take you about 10 seconds to earn, unless you go wild and have a party.

Thanks I'm feeling relieved with your comment, I will have the offices adresses so you may help choosing the right neighborhood

Thanks again

The place you live MUST be near your office.
Kakarta's traffic is hell on Earth.

samirskif wrote:

Thanks

That's the most important part actually.

As long this is not yet under process you should be high alerted. It is extremely difficult these days to get a work permit and the process is very lengthy.

Have you been asked to provide various personal documents which the company needed to apply for work and stay permit (KITAS/IMTA) ?

happyhour wrote:
samirskif wrote:

Thanks

That's the most important part actually.

As long this is not yet under process you should be high alerted. It is extremely difficult these days to get a work permit and the process is very lengthy.

Have you been asked to provide various personal documents which the company needed to apply for work and stay permit (KITAS/IMTA) ?

Actually I received the following answer:

"you will be on a business visa first while waiting for your KITAS"
Actually the company is hiring a lot of expat across ASIA and I don't think that such big company can't play it dirty with the law.
What do you give as advice?

It seems like a very strange reply. Nevertheless I would quickly accept the job offer because it is a good salary, even more than what some western expats are earning.

A final word from me on this topic is to be careful and do not send any money to the employer should they ask for money to pay for any visa application. Job offer scams are a common occurrence in Asia. Good luck with the job. Indonesia is a beautiful country.

Another final bit of advice, rented accommodation is often paid in advance. So if you want to rent a place for one year then you may have to pay one year's rent up front, plus a deposit. For two year contracts you might well have to pay two year's rent upfront. You should bear this in mind when looking for a place to live.

I don't agree to quickly accept the job offer because of the salary.

With a business visa you are not allowed to work period !

You can attend meetings/seminars but that's it (after they revised the new regulations again). If the company is saying you are on the business visa first while waiting for your KITAS, then they would have start applying the process already which obviously they don't.

Also you will only get a single entry business visa except you have been in Indonesia before 3-4 times using a proper visa (not using "visa free" or "visa on arrival")

As said before, if they are serious and going to arrange a limited work and stay permit (IMTA/KITAS) then they would have asked you to provide various personal documents which are needed for the application . These days it can take up to 3 months until you get the work and limited stay permit, it is very costly for the company also.

Bear in mind if get caught by the authorities misusing your visa you can be detained, deported and blacklisted, be jailed up to 5 years and paying up to Rp 500.000.000.

happyhour wrote:

I don't agree to quickly accept the job offer because of the salary.

With a business visa you are not allowed to work period !

You can attend meetings/seminars but that's it (after they revised the new regulations again). If the company is saying you are on the business visa first while waiting for your KITAS, then they would have start applying the process already which obviously they don't.

Also you will only get a single entry business visa except you have been in Indonesia before 3-4 times using a proper visa (not using "visa free" or "visa on arrival")

As said before, if they are serious and going to arrange a limited work and stay permit (IMTA/KITAS) then they would have asked you to provide various personal documents which are needed for the application . These days it can take up to 3 months until you get the work and limited stay permit, it is very costly for the company also.

Bear in mind if get caught by the authorities misusing your visa you can be detained, deported and blacklisted, be jailed up to 5 years and paying up to Rp 500.000.000.

What kind of documents should I normally provide for KITAS?

Samirskif, it would be wise to discuss this with your employer and follow their advice and from there you should make a decision about what you want to do.
They should be upfront with you about any visa issues and the time they take to be issued and if you still want to come then you should. Its a fun place to be.

lukereg wrote:

Samirskif, it would be wise to discuss this with your employer and follow their advice and from there you should make a decision about what you want to do.
They should be upfront with you about any visa issues and the time they take to be issued and if you still want to come then you should. Its a fun place to be.

Thanks a lot
I will discuss the matter with them
I know by solid source that they have plenty of expat and that they all on regular situation since they are the market leader in their field for a big part of asia

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Off-topic

I earn a little more than half that and support an extended family. It's a bit tight for me, but I think you'll do ok on 50 million. Of course it depends on your expectations.
But ask what the NET pay is. There will be some tax to come out of the 50 million.
Another thing, employers are to organize and get the work visa etc, but get it in the contract that they pay all associated costs, eg airfare to Singapore etc.

50M is the net salary
I understood from their email that they take in charge the flight also.
They asked finally for this list of document to prepare my KITAS 
copy of passport, pass photo, Bachelor degree certificate/ Master Degree Certificcate, CV, reference letter which statement that you have 5 years experience of work,

Sounds like you are coming to teach something are you?

lukereg wrote:

Sounds like you are coming to teach something are you?

I'm an experienced Learning and development Manager
so yes definitely related to teaching or more specifically people development

Then I am sure you wont have to wait too long for the visa to materialise. Good luck with the move.

lukereg wrote:

Then I am sure you wont have to wait too long for the visa to materialise. Good luck with the move.

Thanks a lot

You might be careful not a scam company. My recommendation, you might want to request a short trip 1 week to familiarize with overall environment and also part of your consideration before accepting the job offer.
Have the company to book your ticket and hotel prior your arrival too.

If they are scammers then they will ask you to send them money. So if they don't then probably they are legit. And if you know by solid source that they employ lots of expats then there is not really anything to worry about. They will take care of all your visa/work permit formalities, and the salary is pretty good for living in Jakarta. I would just go for it.

Hansson wrote:

If they are scammers then they will ask you to send them money. So if they don't then probably they are legit. And if you know by solid source that they employ lots of expats then there is not really anything to worry about. They will take care of all your visa/work permit formalities, and the salary is pretty good for living in Jakarta. I would just go for it.

Thanks
I'm sure about them, since they hired one of my friends in malaysia and he's the one who proposed me for this role

friendly advice, asking more details on the wages package, net after deduction of personal tax? ( here named as npwp )
with your current offer, you might look up to 30% from your wages paying to tax from income earned.

KLNG wrote:

friendly advice, asking more details on the wages package, net after deduction of personal tax? ( here named as npwp )
with your current offer, you might look up to 30% from your wages paying to tax from income earned.

Thanks a lot
I asked them for NET income
As the Gross income is 65,000,000 IDR