Husband got a job in Barbados and we will be moving shortly...

Hi Everyone!  My husband got a job in Barbados and we will be moving shortly.  I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of where to find a list of all the things that I should be packing in a shipping container.  Please and thank you

Hi there!  I do...

I am from canada too and plan on moving out to Barbados in July.  As exciting as this is I feel overwhelmed and am trying to figure out what to pack and what not to pack.  Can you please give me some advice.  We have one shipping container on which the cost is being covered.  We are planning to rent for the first two years and we have decided we will not be bringing out furniture down.  Any other advice?

Hi Ravinathomas,

Welcome on Board :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Barbados Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien

It is completely up to you what you pack. Depending on where you are shipping from, the cost per sq cubic foot can be expensive. If you are not paying for it, then that is a good thing and you can pack what you want. Duty will have to be paid on everything, but if it looks like it has been used for awhile, it will be less expensive. If you are shipping a car, the duty is very high, but once again if you are not paying for it... If you have to pack furniture, you will need the shipping company to help with that. If you husbands job is paying for everything, I would ask the shipping company to come in and help with arranging the packing.

Thanks so much for the reply!   Yes the company is covering the moving cost.  Because they drive on the opposite side of the road we were planning on selling our car and just buying one once we got there.  I think we have to pay the duty.   But I'm wondering about stuff like toiletries such as toothpaste, creams and that kind of thing.  Do you have to pay duty on that too?   

Regardless, a very exciting time!!!

That is a good thing that your husband's job is paying for the moving expenses. Anything coming in to Barbados is subject to duty. Please ensure that your husbands job is covering the duties on everything. There are several shipping companies, but I used Laparkan, and they handled the agents, so I did not have to hire an agent to deal with my personal goods. If you pack everything before you leave, you can pack whatever you want. Of course this does not include guns, ammunition, gasoline, or any other harmful item. Toiletries are no problem, and the agents will go through your things and decide what the  duty will be on everything, but in a collective box, it is bound to be cheaper, than if you ordered it on line and had it shipped here. Everything shipped should look like it has been used for some time. Things that look new and in a box will bring on an inspection. With your husbands job paying for everything, I am not sure if they are accustomed to shipping personal goods overseas, but ensure that they are paying the duties and shipping to your house here, as shipping companies only care about the shipping, The hiring of the port agent and sending it to your house here is left up to you, unless you bring it up, and get some sort of guarantee.