Moving to Guatemala with kids

Hi,

Moving abroad is an adventure for both parents and children: settling overseas is a challenge for each family member.

How was the move to Guatemala for your kids?

How did they manage to adapt to their new environment?

Share with us your experience and advice on settling in Guatemala with children.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

I'll let you know in a few months.  We are moving in November.

Hey Priscilla,

It really depends on your kids mother language. Finding the schools were the main challenge. For me it was a real nightmare. The best schools here in Guate (as they say) demands them to speak English or Spanish, if your kids do, you will not have problems. (I visited 6 schools here and one by phone).

In my case, since my kids didn´t speak any of these two languages they were rejected by most of the bilingual schools here, some of them don´t say that they are rejected, but will apply an exam...etc.. (in English and Spanish).... You can imagine kids in other country being submitted to an exam in other language....

Two schools (that I have visited) have accepted, and are really prepared to receive foreigners... One costs a lot o money , and the other comes to a reasonable prices, but both are far from the downtown.

Beyond the problem on finding the school, the adaptation occurred very well, the Guatemaltecos are very nice people and help a lot.

The kids, after three months here, besides not speak fluently spanish, didn´t complain on going to school, and looks to have fun in general.

The adaption also, depends also on where you will live, and how many children there are around.

Besides the starting point with the school, it is a nice place fo the kids and no problem so far.