GUNS IN GUATEMALA

What is the status on guns here? Banned or can have a concealed carry permit or what?

Hi DQ,

You can have guns in your house and carry a concealed gun as well.
the Ministry of Defense is the one in charge of the control of the arms in the country.
Minsitry defense Link

So you can either import your gun, or buy one in Guatemala and get the proper license you need according the use you want to give to the arm.

Hello Armand:

Thank you for the speedy reply! I've been having a debate here, and knew what you said was right, so thanks for backing me up :)

I would never live in a country that had a ban on guns.

Well the USSA gun ban is on the near horizon... they are trying the patience of the Americans, and it will not be pretty once the revolution starts here. I am glad Guatemala gives the people the right to bear arms -- everyone needs to know they can protect themselves and their loved ones.

Am seeking employment in Guatemala. It is good to know that I will be able to carry a weapon for protection.

I live in US. A national gun grab is a very real possibility.
Unfortunately very few people here have the nerve to stand up and say NO to this regime. They (some people) equate few or no guns in private hands with security:(moderated).
Benjamine Franklin said it best: "Those that would give up essential freedoms for imagined security deserve neither freedom
or security".(sic)

Hello Roy :)

I agree with you 100% When are you relocating to Guatemala, and what city are you looking at to live in?

Glad to have you here on the blog! :)

Looking to move to large town or small city. Want most of the ammenities but not the problems of a large city. But, mostly where a Security Professional can ply his trade.

What is currently the easiest way to get a buy and register a handgun in Guatemala?

Check the web site of the direction of Control for arms and ammunitions

Owning a gun in Guatemala legally is very possible under the law if you don't have a criminal record, I would love to tell you how easy it is, but the truth, the paper work and dealing with government agencies is a royal pain, so if you are willing to deal with that you can certainly owe a gun.

You must have residency and over 25y/o and then have a lawyer or Transmitador handle the paper work. Once approved (w/Gun License) buy your gun(s)and bring them to DECOM for inspection and registration. After that it's once a year no big hassle.

Thanks for the great info.  I am considering moving to either Guatemala, Honduras, or maybe Panama.   I've been there a few times as my parents and brother lived in Panama in the 70s and 80s.  My brother actually graduated from Canal Zone High School.
Terry H.

What if you don't have residency?  As a tourist, can you carry a gun?  And if not, would it be a bad idea to do it anyway?  How hard is it to become a resident? 

Thanks!

You do have to have residency to own a firearm. Then there is a license process to go through. I know some expats have or carry, but if caught you will probably face at least big problems and probably jailed.

There's more than enough left-wing paranoia in this country among U.S. expats about the U.S. government (9/11 truthers and such). We certainly don't need any right-wing added to it. Please let your rants about a "gun grab" in the U.S. at home. This "regime" has been in power for 7 years and has made not a single effort to "grab" your precious guns.  In fact, they've supported gun owners' rights.

Guatemala is far safer than the U.S. Be an idiot by walking home drunk at night and you'll be the victim of a crime of opportunity, but you'll deserve that. Engage with locals and go with them when you visit new areas and you'll be fine.

KInd of grouchy aren't you? It's not called paranoia when they ARE after you and what you have. Wow. I would never move to any country where I couldn't own a gun to protect myself and my people. Calm down.

It's unfortunate that you'd prefer to live in a country that is unsafe enough to require a gun to protect yourself. I would prefer to live in a country where that wasn't necessary. Guatemala (at least the area I'm in) is very safe as long as you're not an idiot. It's very calm and stress-free here. It's the wackos on the left and right that need to calm down and realize no one is after their precious weapons.

I don't even know you, which mean YOU don't know ME. So don't presume to know where I live nor what I want. There will ALWAYS be some deviant who wants to do harm to someone -- what's wrong with being prepared and ready to defend yourself? How ignorant to think you would never need a gun for any reason. Wow. I might be living in the USSA now, but it's NOT my preference thank you very much. Put away your dysfunctional crystal ball because it's giving you BAD info. Best to not open mouth and insert foot when you don't know what you're talking about. And gee, I hope no wackos ever come into YOUR "part" of town -- you'll not be able to protect yourself or anyone else. I'll be in Guate soon and know where I'm going to live and how. You need to seriously wake up. Every government who is run by evil wants our guns! How long have you had your head in the sand? Yes, it would be grand if we didn't NEED to own guns to protect ourselves. But as long as there is evil out there, we'll need to protect ourselves. You can't change history, but you CAN learn from it.

Hi everybody,

This topic is very old (2012) and in addition to it, the initiator is no more an Expat.com member.
I am therefore closing this thread straightaway.

P.S Please stop picking fights on a public forum, it is not constructive at all !

Thanks

Priscilla

(Topic closed )

Closed