Thinking of moving - anybody to give us some good pointers?

Hi, my wife and I (58 + 66) are moving to Spain. We wonder if somebody in Spain can give us some good pointers, or make us aware of some of the pitfalls. we are thinking moving to the  southern part near  or around Almeria.

i never seem to get a reply on my posts but here goes my wife then 41 yrs and i 55 yrs moved to spain in 1988 ,it was hard going but well worth the effort ,i bought ,almost immediately a house ,cash to live in  could have been my first mistake ,but it wasnt  you need to rent to find out if you like it there .the area and the people ,secondly we moved to a non touristic area .great no mistake we learnt spanish and intergrated within the community and both got jobs in gibraltar ,weve ,retired and would never return to the uk.one pitfall is grandchildren i know of so many people whereas the female partner missed the grandkids and wanted to return ,mine .well where here if they want to see us hop on a plan e  dont pick a holiday complex where the summer is full  and noisy and tthe winters your on your own  good luck whatever you choose eddie

Thank you for making the effort "linedancer" thank you so much for your response. We are Dutch born and I moved to Australia in 1970  My childhood sweetheart joined me 12 years ago. My wife has a son (29) in the Netherlands. I have brothers and sisters. we want to keep the warmed we have here in Port Macquarie. we also going to rent first for a while. we are looking to Almeria, but are open to other suggestions.

to tulip  49 thanks for your reply glad to have helped ,i cannot suggest where  to settle as ive never been further than malaga northwards,,i picked algerciras basically because its near gibraltar and gibraltar airport.if your just renting then you can move around pick where you would like to spend yiour time ,property where i live is very reasonable ,ie a detached 3 bed house with garage and garden in the region of  180.000 euros ,to a uk citizen this would be about 150,000 pounds ,apartments come much cheaper dont go isolated ,you may need a  doctonr or hospital in a hurry  good luck eddie

Thanks Eddie, your advise is very valuable to us. Were open minded about where to live, but as you say doctors and hospitals are nice to have near as we get older...........Karin and i are living in Port Macquarie in Australia we do love it here but we have family in the Netherlands. So we decided to move, although we weren't going to compromise on the climate. we love the son. We have decided to rent for a while. We don't think that we'll get to Spain before end November or maybe even later. We'l stay in touch. Regards Karin & Hank

Hi tulips49 & linedancer,

Please note that we created a new thread as from your posts on the Almeria Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien

hi hank and karin, when sue and i came here in 1988 ,they were not in the common market.work was not permitted but we were lucky enoug h to get jobs in safeways in gib,we had problems.especialy on the language side,but we got through it ,recently,my son moved over and ac tually bought a house nrxt door .hr had very little to bother about  as we told him what to do ,and also he got an english speaking solicitor,yeh keep in touch hank any advice io can give you your welcome eddie

we have hundreds of posts on Spain.  What info did you need pointers on, specifically?   You can check us out at Wagoners Abroad.  We live in Almunecar and have been here 3 yrs on non lucrative visa.  we have info on many topics for moving to spain, just not sure where you want us to start with answers in this thread.

Hi,
we came to Spain in 1991 at ages 50 &51.
I rush in where angels fear to tread and have obviously made mistakes (never been done down by a Spaniard unless they where solicitors).
Originally lived in Granada province where we where done down by an English estate agent. Moved to Almeria where the "natives" are the friendliest in all of Andalusia ( we have also lived in Cordoba &* Cadiz but moved back to Almeria last year).
Would not even think of moving back to the UK.
Health service 10 times better than the UK and our little "pueblo" of Albanchez as an ambulance 24/7 also a doctor who speaks perfect English, even my Spanish grandson speaks to him in English something he does not always do with me. 
Someone pasted on this subject that you could purchase a 3 bed villa  for about £150 K, contact me and I will sell you one for more like £100K.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share email address on the forum.
alantalbot wrote:

Hi,
Someone pasted on this subject that you could purchase a 3 bed villa  for about £150 K, contact me and I will sell you one for more like £100K.

Hello alantalbot

I suggest you to drop an advert in our Housing in Almeria section concerning the sale of the villa to reach out to more people.

Regards
Kenjee

Hi i sawyour message to somebody and i believe it was something about moving to spain... My husband and i are planing moving to spain,the problem is i am from philippines and i only have a visa for family visit in belgium, so we are in belgium right now, i am supposed to go back philippines at the first of september, we are hoping if you can help us or any of your friends who know about this matter... We would be very appriciated if you response for our problem... Thank you so much

Hi

I am considering buying a villa in the Almeria area as a holiday home. I will probably spend around 3 months a year there and my daughters will also use it.

I don't really know the area and planning to fly out in the next few weeks to explore it and meet a few agents. My budget would be up to £175,000 and would prefer a 4 bed villa with pool in a reasonably quiet area but walking distance to local villages and about 3o minutes plus to a beach.

Am I asking for too much or is this possible.

Sfd1

Hi,
with your £175K your expectations are quite reasonable and I could build you your 4bed with pool on a elevated plot in Arboleas.

Alan, sounds interesting! I assume you are a builder