Medicaid in PR

Hello I will be moving to PR to help care for my grandfather. I am thinking about signing up for medicaid as I don't have the income to afford a private insurance carrier. Does anybody have any experience with medicaid in PR? Is it any good? I don't have any serious medical conditions but I do think I need coverage. Any advice is appreciated.

Sugarbird from another post provided the following information:

"I can help you with that! You can't  use healthcare.gov for PuertoRico but Triple S is BC/BS of PuertoRico and they offer qualified healthcare plans under US "Obamacare" guidelines. You will find the coverage is excellent and very less expensive than in the US. MCS also has similar plans and a big network. They both have coverage in the US available if you need treatment off island. When I tell you the coverage is good...I mean like a $100 co pay for a hospital admission and then EVERYTHING that happens in the hospital is covered....all the doctors, diagnostics procedures everything. All the physician office visit co pays are like $8-20 and that's on a PPO plan."

Thank you for the info but I'm hoping to find out about medicaid. Do a lot of providers accept it? Is there a big difference in the quality of coverage?

I'm sorry, I don't have any information on medicaid but there are a lot of helpful people on this forum who may know.  You can try searching older posts, maybe?

My sister in law use it. I believe it is called ' la reforma'   I have not hear complaints. As with everything in the island you will have to go and register. I will ask her and let you know.

Thank you so much!

Medicaid eligibility and other information:

https://medicaid.pr.gov/Elegibilidad/Default.aspx

JF214 wrote:

Thank you for the info but I'm hoping to find out about medicaid. Do a lot of providers accept it? Is there a big difference in the quality of coverage?

Here is he information on la reforma;
There is an office at each municipality.
It will depend on your income and if you have any pre existing conditions.
You will need to provide proof of residency, water or electricity bill.
If you have children, they automatically qualify.
Proof of income.
Bank accounts (you can't have move than $2k on the account).
SS benefits
Depending on these factors will determine whether you qualify and how much you may have to contribute.

Thank you very very much adlin20...this is really helpful info!