Healthcare in Puerto Rico

Hi,

how does the healthcare system work in Puerto Rico ? Is it efficient ?

What are the main differences between public and private sectors?

Is it recommended to purchase private health insurance in Puerto Rico?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience !

Julien

Health care is not bad.... you can also get a good medical plan which includes eye exams and dental care for less than $200 x month.
the BAD part is most MD's don't take appointments so you WAIT and WAIT and WAIT......try to find some one who does take appointments ( and respects them!  just ASK!) they hate gringos any way so they know we don't like to wait...sometimes you can go, sign in, leave and ask the nurse to call you when it looks like you might be next. 
Many of the MDs are main land trained and  the ones trained here are usually top shelf, very professional.. they will not rush you and most are genuinely interested in your well being.... it's the system here that stinks..... they have very little respect for the value of your time.
the best hospital is CENTRO MEDICO but it is a total zoo - public hospital but the BEST DR> on the island.  PAVIA and AUXILIO MUTUO  are good heart Hspt.  The local community hsptls usually  have urgent care clinics;  El Presby in San Juan is the best: many services and most are bilingual.   Veterans is also good if you are a VET.

If you ever have to go to the hospital here make sure you bring your own blankets and pillows. They won't be provided for you. Bring plenty of blankets because the hospitals are veerry cold. Also if you stay more than overnight be sure you have someone that can bathe you and change your dressings and such because most places won't do that either. But from my experience the doctors, technicians, nurses etc. seem to be well qualified. Just don't expect things to be just like the states. I can't afford quality healthcare in the states. But even though the care isn't quite as good here, I can still find a way to get health insurance.

Hi,

In order to help expats and soon-to-be expats, we would like to invite you to share your experience on this topic, with updated info on the healthcare system.

Thank you in advance,

Julie
Expat.com Team

My own experience with health care here in PR. Yes, they use the number system here,  at least at r Doctors n lab we use. Wait is not bad, once u see your doctor, they don't rush u out. As for hospitals, yes bring your own blankets n pillow but my personal stay at Ryder's Humancoa was amazing. I had total knee replacement n was treated very good. After hospital stay I was taken to the rehab at Ryders n there they were very nice, caring n helpful with my recovery. I couldn't have asked for anything better. I will have another knee replacement in May n I know I will get great care with a wonderful staff. We love r doctors n their staff. One must have patience's here but its not bad...... :D

I feel very fortunate to have access to the SALUS clinic on the border of Bayamón and Guaynabo.  It's the only Mayo-certified clinic on the island and my experiences have been pretty good.  The doctors and dentists take appointments and adhere to a schedule.  In our neighborhood, it seems to be a 50/50 split of good experiences vs bad experiences there.

The lab that's associated with SALUS, however, is another story.  I've never met more inconsiderate healthcare workers.  I always seemed to get yelled at for doing something wrong.  Maybe it's because I'm usually there first thing in the morning, but wow!  I've was treated one hundred times better when I was a military recruit.  Most of the staff should find another line of work.

Health Care is Awesome!  You just can't come in like an ugly American, and see the minor differences as part of the charm of this great place.  My doctors all take appointments, from my GP to my daughters pediatrician (both Harvard Med School grads - didn't have THAT in CA!) to even the chiropractor.  The MRI place made we wait half the day, but thats the only place.  There are definitely differences, some places wait forever - much like US medicine of 20yrs ago.  But if you just take a casual due diligence, ask around for recommendations,  and put a smile on your face, you will find as good or better health care in PR as the US.  And insurance is about 20% less as well.  We use MCS and LOVE it, it takes care of us when we are in the states as good as Blue Cross, and here its widely accepted.  My friends bounce yearly or so between MCS and Humana, and say they are both about the same.

I have had only good experiences with healthcare needs in Puerto Rico.  Also, the cost of dentistry is much lower in PR as compared to New York.

side241 wrote:

Health Care is Awesome!  You just can't come in like an ugly American, and see the minor differences as part of the charm of this great place.  My doctors all take appointments, from my GP to my daughters pediatrician (both Harvard Med School grads - didn't have THAT in CA!) to even the chiropractor.  The MRI place made we wait half the day, but thats the only place.  There are definitely differences, some places wait forever - much like US medicine of 20yrs ago.  But if you just take a casual due diligence, ask around for recommendations,  and put a smile on your face, you will find as good or better health care in PR as the US.  And insurance is about 20% less as well.  We use MCS and LOVE it, it takes care of us when we are in the states as good as Blue Cross, and here its widely accepted.  My friends bounce yearly or so between MCS and Humana, and say they are both about the same.

I can use Medicare Plus when I retire in PR but wife is not old enough yet, so I will need a different plan for her. Are these Medicare type plans or do they cover folks under 65?

I just found a new PR web site that is trying to get people to come to PR for medical treatment and dental treatment. It says that the cost is 40% to 60% cheaper.
See web site http://www.starhealthcarepuertorico.com

Apparently they are trying to increase or establish a Tourism medical center.

They must be counting on less medical professionals not leaving the island I guess.