Moving Company from USA to Brazil

Anybody recently move to Brazil? Looking for an international moving company. Planning to ship the end of September. Everything is already packed up in storage and ready to go. Specifically moving to Goiania. My wife is a citizen and is currently preparing our new house. I know there is a 6 month window once she returns to get items there. And that she must meet belongings in port for inspection. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Craig,

Unless you have an employer who is going to cover the costs of shipping your furniture to Brazil then you may want to think twice (or even three times) about the idea. The costs of shipping here are prohibitive to say the very least and your household items will be tied up in customs for ages once they arrive.

It will be far less expensive if you sell off what you can get any money for, donate or give away the rest and buy all new here in Brazil. Electric appliances will either not work here or require major modification, and then there is the legal and civil risks of using appliances here that are not INMETRO approved. Your CSA or Energystar approval won't protect you here. Any fire that could be attributed to such an appliance would wipe you out financiallly, especially if you lived in an apartment and other units were damaged or destroyed. Bad, bad, bad idea even to think of bringing gas or electric appliances here.

Few expats ever bring much with them for the reasons above. You are looking at somewhere in the tens of thousands of dollars depending on what you plan on shipping and there are really few reliable international movers that serve this country because there is not a great demand because of the costs involved.

Cheers,
James          Expat-blog Experts Team

My employer will cover most of the cost, I will pick up small portion. Just looking at a ball park price from someone who has done it.

Yeah I'm aware of electricity / gas problems. Not too concerned, building a stand alone house. Moved everything we could in 8 luggage last month. Wife and kids are all settled in. Just waiting on me now.

Well, I hope somebody here can give you the information you're looking for. Don't hold your breath though Craig, it's very rare that expats ship their stuff here.

You may find it easier if you can get your employer to get estimates from companies here in Brazil that offer international moving services. The only one I can think of off the top of my head would be Graneiro.

Cheers,
James

Hi Craig ,
Wen I was living in Goiania I found I guy from Italy that did this , moved everything from Rome to Goiania . Kind of a hero in my opinion ...
Good luck with your new life !

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : External links not allowed on the forum. Please do not share emails on the public forum for security measures.

Awesome, thanks buddy! Are you currently still living in Goiania?

Craig

No Craig , I moved away from Goiania in 2011 . I used to live in " Setor Jao" over there ,  pretty quiet neighborhood with a great place to spend the evenings " Clube Jao " . When you settle down there give it a try , it's a great place to make friends .