Waiting for my residence - how much time it takes?

Hi, I'm waiting for my residence, actually I did all by myselfe so I didn't have to pay a lawyer. It was really diificult but I did it. At the end I took a lawyer who made the last step that is to give all the papers with her "official power" to the place that will accept it, process it, and give the residence.

So my question is how much time it takes to wait from the point the lawyer has given all the folder? Because I am in hurry; need to go to Nicaragua, but I cannot go out till they give me the residence cause my visa is dead. And I have already waited for 3 months now :S is that normal?

Hello medinacastro :)

Please note that a new thread has been created as from your post, since you were off topic on the other thread you participated.

Regards

Kenjee

Normal and lawyer cannot go on the same sentence :|

Jorge que sinifica "cannot go on the same sentence" ?

As I understand it, this applies for every country in the world.

It is "normal" for a lawyer to take his own sweet time to do your paperwork.
It is normal to charge a little "extra" for having to go to another government office to complete your work
A "fee" can help to hurry up a bureocrat that has your paper in the bottom drawer
It is normal that the faster you need your papers, the slower they work
It is normal that in the end, you end up spending more than what you had agreed
And so on.....

Most abogangsters, ooops, sorry, abogados, are the same everywhere

ok. yes that's sad. in my country actually we don't need any abogados to make the residence, and in 2 weeks it's done, that's why I couldnt accept in my head that here it would be 2000$ with a lawyer, and tried to make without. but I understand that it is very different in other countries, I have to accept it. Still I saved money doing by myselfe but didn't save time.. at all. :S :S

I recomend you look for second and third opinions from other lawyers so you get a better picture.........

You likely won't save much money either as this is an old game. Also remember that all your documents are dated so after 3 months they expire and are no longer valid so you have to go get new ones. The lawyer may forget to mention that and your file will just sit on the bottom of a pile for many months. Of course then they will recharge you to re-apply with updated documents. I know people here on the island who have been waiting years. Then of course you may have to pay a fine for over staying your visa. Sometimes it is easier, much faster and not much more expensive to just hire the right person for the job in the first place and let them do it right. All my clients I recommend to the right lawyer get their residencies correctly done in 60-90 days.

You will wait until eternity ends. You cannot do the paper work without an attorney in Honduras. I know one who is honest, however if I mention him they get psychotic.**

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum.

Seeing that you had power of attorney, wait no longer than six months. Most attorneys will pull your chain forever and then Fijase. Within six months you should have at least residency in process.

Thank's for the other responses. Now it's 6 months. But actually it is not the responsability of my attorney, because the process is done by the goverment. My attorney does her job: calling each week to see why the folder doesn't run. I also visit goverment each 2 weeks. Now they have a problem with the fact I changed name when I get married... so stupids. We have a reunion soon -.- I hate all this I'm in carcel. I recommend to live illegal it's much more easy!

Have you received your temporary residence, (in tramite)? After six months you should be well on your way to getting your residence.  Press your attorney and demand that you are entitled to know what the delay is!

Six months is about right, but you should receive something temporary, (en tramite), however if you leave the country and try to come back without your residency, you may receive a stiff fine at the border.

I repeatedly asked different agencies and got vague answers. I hope what I found out will save others some stall time. The process is not complex but LONG. First let me say, I am an American, so I do not know what it would take in Canada for example.
1.get yourself an Hondurian attorney to help at the Hondurian side.
2. Here is what is required for status as a retiree. You have to have all of this to give to attorney before she or he can move forward.
   a) valid passport with at least a year left before it expires, photo copy of double page with photo to attorney.
   b) 2 additional front view headshots
   c) statement of earnings monthly showing a minimum of 1,500.00 usd per family from a retirement agency (example ss) or official pension plan. Must be on official paper. (I used letter fron ss administration that can be printed from online)
    d) statement from FBI of no criminal activity ( cost 18.00 per person usd; can take up to 22 weeks to obtain. All information and the form can be found on line under FBI, except for fingerprint card. FBI will send you one, fingerprinting costs about 5.00 usd. Once fingerprinted send form and card to FBI and wait.
    e) signed form from MD showing good health. I could not find one on line, my MD said forms varied so I had my attorney send me one accepted in Honduras. Form must be notarized.
    f) a Honduran bank account where monthly deposit of at least 1500.00 has been made, and will be made each month. SS will direct deposit with a routing number, name on account, and account number. My attorney is setting that up for me through a POA. Retirement status must be renewed annually and Honduran bank must show consistant monthly deposits. Attorney get validation for me in Honduras.
    g) my dog was easiest documentation. Vet international health form filled out within one month of travel, approved by USDA in my state. She is then good to go.
    h) finally, all documentation (retirement monthly income, FBI search once returned to me, pet form, 2 photos, passport photo double page copy, MD form)  must be sent to my state Secretary of State designee to be signed off on. (Appolistate, as required by international agreement)
Once I get this done, all papers are sent to Honduran attorney where she gets Honduras bank statement showing deposit. Then she or he sends all documentation translated into Spanish to the Hondurian federal government for approval, which can take up to 6 months.
Once approved, I get my residency card as a retiree, which allows me one duty free shipment of goods.
Approximate time up to 1 year. Before I started process was lead to believe 3 months, so I waited to get started.
Now, I am ready to move, but still waiting for FBI, which so far has taken over 2 months, everything else is ready to send to Appolistate. So I am at least 7 months behind my plan.
I know this response has been long but NO ONE gave me a staight answer when I repeatedly asked, and, I wanted to prevent others from the same confusion and any more delay than necessary.

I just spent some time in Honduras - spoke to a couple who are living there for 20 years - it takes some time to get residence- I was told one has be very patient.  I was told one has to get an attorney and make sure that person will be ethical.  It is possible. I decided to not pursue this.

No one has given you a straight answer because there is no straight answer. The majority of lawyers in Honduras are not honest, so if you chose the wrong one she/he will drag it out as long as they can and you keep paying!

On a less cynical direction, sometimes the bureacracy will drag their feet. Something does not seem correct whichever of the two may be occurring, as I received my residency after six months, however that was through my children.

First, I have a very honest attoney in Honduras. Second, delays are wait times for US documents. My comments were to help people get a realistic time line from beginning in home country to end with residency card.

Have you ever received a tramite, or that the residence is in process? You should have. If the process draws out for at least nine months, then start asking serious questions.

What does your attorney have to say about the wait time for US documents? It seems to me that nothing can be started until all documentation has been provided!

My attorney cannot start process until all documents in. The misleading info came from US officials as to how long those documents would take, for example FBI search can take up to 22 weeks. That is all waitng for in US.

Well then there is nothing that you can do until all documentation is provided. It appears that you will have to leave the country for 72 hours every three months until you get a document stating that your residency process has officially begun. Good luck! Make sure that you do not overextend your visa or they will fine you and the fine now is quite high. I have heard that you can extend your visa in Roatan. However, I do not know the cost.

If you pay the fine you can go to Nicaragua. Have your attorney go down to migración with you.

Still in states