Cycle tour

I have one month off from work to tour Vietnam on a bike, I have motorbiked from Ho Chi Minh to Hue but not sure how well the roads are built for a bike.
My question is can anyone help me plan a route? Or give me a link to a map website that has up-to-date routes. I would love to hear from someone who has done this trip before, I'm only interested in scenery and the ride.
I am also debating a tent/hammock incase I don't make it to any hotels, is this pointless/dangerous?

If you want to reply on here that would be great or meet up for a beer and a chat that would be great too.
Thanks guys and girls
Benjy

go to
crazyguyonabike.com and search for Vietnam in the journals section.

I wouldn't bother bringing sleeping gear unless you intend to go to really out of the way places. Firstly, there are lots of theives in Vietnam and you should make sure you are in a town by dusk every day;
secondly, the police definitely do NOT want you camping in their patch and cause them problems by being robbed, or worse;
thirdly, accommodation is so cheap you should take advantage of it and get a good night's sleep;
fourthly, there are still creatures that are happy to eat you out there (refer also point 2 above).

If you are starting from Saigon, you can avoid Highway 1 for most of the trip up to Hue by using back roads along the coast. Google maps and VN road atlas (Tap Ban Do Giao Thong Duong Bo Vietnam) are useful to help you plan your route. You will also need to ask along the way, because neither of these have all the roads. Good luck.
If you get to Nha Trang, I' always happy to meet for a beer.

Thanks buddy :) big help!
Yeh highway 1 was the worst part of motorbiking so i would love to avoid this at all costs. Does this mean that when i get to Hue i will need to head inland? or be forced to take the Highway?

I can't answer your question, as I have only checked as far as Hue.  As an alternative, you can cycle the Ho Chi Minh Road (National Highways 14 and 15). However, in southern Vietnam there are long sections of very bad road and road under repair. A few people have cycled this QL14 and 15 and seem to have enjoyed the northern section more than the southern. Check for reports on crazyguyonabike and other cycling forums, including
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ … -your-bike