New bus fares and cards

yes I read all that last night. BUT and its a big but all the tourists on buses going north will have to que up to buy on the bus so delays to service will be even worse. its bad enough now if you see all the people at no1 bus stop let alone august. I was referring to same thing rob said, tourists buying advance tickets. Obviously the 2 hour thing cant apply if you buy from a kiosk/machine unless it is swipeable onboard. anyway it is all conjecture till nearer the time.

btw TEARNET ....cynic? lol

Exactly, the price difference is huge, way worse than the old one used to be.

What happens if a newbie arrives and can't get a tallinja card straight away, although needs to use to bus to get to work and back every day. Instead of a €6.50 weekly ticket, they would have to pay 10 x €2 single tickets, i.e 3 times as much, a bloody rip-off. Same with tourists who wanted to use the bus every day to see all the sites.

I have absolutely no problem with the new system if the tallinja card is easily available for tourists and new residents, but I don't like the way it's looking, needing a Maltese address, picking up the card at your local council. Maybe I'm being hasty though, let's see what transpires in the next few months.

On An Island wrote:

Exactly, the price difference is huge, way worse than the old one used to be.

What happens if a newbie arrives and can't get a tallinja card straight away, although needs to use to bus to get to work and back every day. Instead of a €6.50 weekly ticket, they would have to pay 10 x €2 single tickets, i.e 3 times as much, a bloody rip-off. Same with tourists who wanted to use the bus every day to see all the sites.

I have absolutely no problem with the new system if the tallinja card is easily available for tourists and new residents, but I don't like the way it's looking, needing a Maltese address, picking up the card at your local council. Maybe I'm being hasty though, let's see what transpires in the next few months.

Amen or Aye lol well said

Ropw2,

Did you have success with your Id number yet? I tried today and all numbers of my ID is "invalid".

Thanks

pmichelazzo wrote:

Ropw2,

Did you have success with your Id number yet? I tried today and all numbers of my ID is "invalid".

Thanks

yes enter the one ending in a  make sure its a capital in the maltese id box do not untick then on the next page enter the number which is prefixed mt (without the mt)

robpw2 wrote:
pmichelazzo wrote:

Ropw2,

Thanks

yes enter the one ending in a  make sure its a capital in the maltese id box do not untick then on the next page enter the number which is prefixed mt (without the mt)

Thanks Robpw2, now it's ok.

best

Reading the terms and conditions of the tallinja card it suggest that there will be non personalised cards and a 12 day card which I assume will be aimed at tourists etc
From t&cs

A Cardholder may only pay for one passenger per journey with a personalized Tallinja Card or Explore card. If the Cardholder is travelling in a group, each passenger must use a separate Tallinja Card or different method of payment. Non-personalised Cards may be used for more than one passenger per journey as long as it is validated for every person using the bus.
https://www.tallinja.com/en/terms-conditions

More details here

12 Day  Journeys Card Card includes 12 Single Day €15
Trips      @ €1.25, 6 Single Night Trips @ €2.50 or any combination of both.
cards can be used for a group

Explore Adult     Explore Child (<11)
Unlimited            Travel    (Day and Night Services)
€21     €15 both valid for 7 days from first activation
its worth noting that cards are for individual use only  and will be valid in malta and gozo

both of these cards will be availble to buy from kiosks and will be valid straight away

Is this not almost exactly the same as the last scheme, cheaper tickets for residents, which the EU told them was illegal? I read somewhere that you need a Maltese address to be able to apply, presumably as the card is sent to your local council office where it can be picked up. The T&Cs do state the Tallinja Card can be applied for with a Passport number, as well as an ID Card number. But if you don't have a permanent address in Malta, how can tourists apply?

If the only option for tourists is the Non-Personalised 12 Journey Cards, it means that non-residents will be paying 2/3 more for each journey, €1.25 per trip instead of €0.75. Back to the same old discrimination as before.

sounds like it but then they will argue that its residency based and not nationality

its a scheme designed by the scheming

On An Island wrote:

Is this not almost exactly the same as the last scheme, cheaper tickets for residents, which the EU told them was illegal? I read somewhere that you need a Maltese address to be able to apply, presumably as the card is sent to your local council office where it can be picked up. The T&Cs do state the Tallinja Card can be applied for with a Passport number, as well as an ID Card number. But if you don't have a permanent address in Malta, how can tourists apply?

If the only option for tourists is the Non-Personalised 12 Journey Cards, it means that non-residents will be paying 2/3 more for each journey, €1.25 per trip instead of €0.75. Back to the same old discrimination as before.

No it's 1,25 per single day trip it say on that ticket
Also they can apply for the unlimited travel card too which is the explorer card ,

robpw2 wrote:

Also they can apply for the unlimited travel card too which is the explorer card ,

:unsure

It's 1.25 per trip, agreed, 50c more than it costs on a Tallinja Card.

Can tourists apply for a Tallinja Card if they don't have an address in Malta??

The previous scheme was also based on residency, not nationality, and that was deemed illegal.

On An Island wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

The previous scheme was also based on residency, not nationality, and that was deemed illegal.

they can buy the explorer card from the kiosk
the 12 day tickets specifically say 12 single day trips not single journeys ....all other tickets say per journey which seems to be confusing me .. lol  i am sure it will all come out in the wash

With over 21,000 already applied I will be surprised if all these are issued before July!

This is based on the problems over the EID application and issuing.

Terry

On An Island wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

its still 75cts cheaper than buying on the bus , i really dont know if its illegal or not

but london has the oyster card system where they charge less to those who have it  than those who dont
so i cant see it being that illegal

tearnet wrote:

With over 21,000 already applied I will be surprised if all these are issued before July!

Terry

lol we shall see wont we it cant be that difficult ... can it ?

robpw2 wrote:

the 12 day tickets specifically say 12 single day trips not single journeys ....all other tickets say per journey which seems to be confusing me .. lol  i am sure it will all come out in the wash

No, it can't be €1.25 for a single day trip, it must mean single journey. Or people with a Tallinja Card could buy a Non-Personalised card and pay €1.25 for 6 single journies in a day, rather than €4.50 using their Tallinja Card. It is a bit confusing though.

Doe it really matter if it costs a little more for a tourist, they are usually only here for a short while?

When we go to Germany, although we are seniors, we pay the full fare even though there are schemes available. We just buy the cheapest travel option available to us, if it costs us a few euros more than locals, so what!

Ray

robpw2 wrote:

but london has the oyster card system where they charge less to those who have it  than those who dont

Oyster Cards are available to everybody though, wherever you live in the world. They have visitor ones, you can order them online and have them delivered to anywhere in the world, ready for your trip to London.

tearnet wrote:

Terry

They didn't say which July though.

On An Island wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

No, it can't be €1.25 for a single day trip, it must mean single journey. Or people with a Tallinja Card could buy a Non-Personalised card and pay €1.25 for 6 single journies in a day, rather than €4.50 using their Tallinja Card. It is a bit confusing though.

the more you use your talilinja card though the cheaper it gets if yoru doing 6 journeys a day you will only be paying for 6 days then the rest of the month would be free as you have the automatic cap of 26euro

also i wonder if they are charging 1,25 per journey if they will get round any unfairness by claiming that 5 euros of the money paid for the card is for the card itself  because the cards are apparently  5 euros they are just offering them free in the first year to residence to get them to apply for the scheme .

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Doe it really matter if it costs a little more for a tourist, they are usually only here for a short while?
Ray

The last scheme Arriva used (Resident vs Non-Resident price differences) was deemed illegal by the EU, and they were forced to close it. So I guess it does matter.

On An Island wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

Oyster Cards are available to everybody though, wherever you live in the world. They have visitor ones, you can order them online and have them delivered to anywhere in the world, ready for your trip to London.

yes but the oyster cards cost to buy which im sure was 5£ last time i got one

On An Island wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry

They didn't say which July though.

that is very good lol :)

robpw2 wrote:

The new cards are only free until the end of this year though, then it's €5.

I'm blind!! I've just noticed that Explore option too, €21 for a 7 day ticket, unlimited use, so €3 a day. Slightly more expensive than the €6.50 you can currently pay!! They did say the prices would be going up though. So the €15 card must be for 12 separate journeys, not day trips, but that one is valid for up to a year.

On An Island wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

The new cards are only free until the end of this year though, then it's €5.

I'm blind!! I've just noticed that Explore option too, €21 for a 7 day ticket, unlimited use, so €3 a day. Slightly more expensive than the €6.50 you can currently pay!! They did say the prices would be going up though. So the €15 card must be for 12 separate journeys, not day trips, but that one is valid for up to a year.

you also get night tickets included on the explorer card so thats

1.50 current day price +2.50 current night bus price  (current prices) meaning its actually cheaper overall  if that makes sense
those with a tallinja card would still have to pay 2.50 to use the night bus

robpw2 wrote:

you also get night tickets included on the explorer card so thats

1.50 current day price +2.50 current night bus price  (current prices) meaning its actually cheaper overall  if that makes sense
those with a tallinja card would still have to pay 2.50 to use the night bus

Ah yeah, didn't spot that either. So handy for the younger generation who want to get hammered in St Julians every night, not so useful for old grannies who'll be in bed with cup of Horlicks by 10pm though.

On An Island wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

Ray

The last scheme Arriva used (Resident vs Non-Resident price differences) was deemed illegal by the EU, and they were forced to close it. So I guess it does matter.

But then we all know that the EU wastes time and money on things that are not important.

If they put as much effort into the illegal shooting situation in Malta, there would have been no need for a referendum!

Ray

back on topic...maltese guy explained to me today why you cant register with your passport at Valetta bus station. They have no facility to scan your passport page or take a pic of you to upload. I was like oh yeahhhhh der lol

we registered at Valletta OK, 60+ & resident, no ref no though; now we wait for a letter from local council to collect card. watch this space!.

halank wrote:

we registered at Valletta OK, 60+ & resident, no ref no though; now we wait for a letter from local council to collect card. watch this space!.

Its easy to do online now they have ironed out the "glitches", it recognised our E residency and our OAP card. :D

Terry

I assume no one has heard anything about cards being ready yet, it's now 3 weeks since the launch and I have yet to here of anyone.
Beginning to look more like eResidence all over again!

Ray

they did say it wouldnt be till june lol its still only the 18th may lets try and give them some chance he he

robpw2 wrote:

they did say it wouldnt be till june lol its still only the 18th may lets try and give them some chance he he

They did not say June to me when we registered, nor did we get any confirmation or reference number.

Checked in Victoria today and was told June earliest and not having a reference did not matter. - Where have I heard that before?

Only took us 8 months to get eResidence maybe this will be quicker but I am not holding my breath!

Ray

robpw2 wrote:

maltese friend of mine said the local council will email the email that was on the application form in June to go and collect it. some people just panic

F0xgl0ve wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

They did not say June to me when we registered, nor did we get any confirmation or reference number.

Checked in Victoria today and was told June earliest and not having a reference did not matter. - Where have I heard that before?

Only took us 8 months to get eResidence maybe this will be quicker but I am not holding my breath!

Ray

ok on website its says june ,,, i got a confirmation email so maybe some are and some arent

June of which Year ? :whistle:

Junkyard Angel wrote:

June of which Year ? :whistle:

2016 of course!

:top:

I would greatly appreciate it if anybody could tell me where to check the rules to apply for the tallinja card. Yesterday I tried to apply at Valleta without success. 
I live here for 5 months each year but not continuously, usually I come two times a year during 2.5 months each time. I do not hold an e-resident card (instead I intended to apply either with my Spanish ID card or my passport). I have no proof of address in Malta as I stay at my partners who lives here.
When I asked the lady which other options, apart from the tallinja card, would be available for people in my case, she said there will be single day journey tickets available on the bus at 2€ summer/1.5 winter which I consider quite expensive for a long stay of 5 months.

Thanks in advance for any info

Apply online using your passport/ID card

Thanks a lot for your guidance. I'll do so