Buying a car without driving licence.

Hello all in Malta,
Can anyone give any info on buying a car.  Does the buyer need to have a driving licence to buy a car?  The buyer intends to just buy the car on his name but not drive it.  The question is odd but licence is required to drive a vehicle and it shouln't interfere with someone buying.
Thanks

No you don't need a licence to buy a car  and you can register it in anyone's name.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

No you don't need a licence to buy a car  and you can register it in anyone's name.

Terry

Thanks a lot Terry.  This is what I wanted to know.

We did not manage to buy a car without a driving license as we were told TM would not register an unlicensed owner or something like that. Luckily got the license in time then.

Then again if you know the right people I am sure things could be sorted. :)

But probably best to call Transport Malta and confirm.

You only need a licence to DRIVE a car not to buy one.

Terry

Thanks, I know the meaning of a driving licence.

Nonetheless, we bought a car this January so I described what we were told. When was the last time you bought a car without having a driving licence?

If there are people who managed to buy the car without have a licence, good for them, I still think it is best to call Transport Malta and see what they say in this regard. We did not bother doing it at the end as sorted it out.

For buying a car you only have to provide your name, address and ID card on the backside of the vehicle's logbook.
Also the witness and seller does not necessarily need to have a driving license, only an ID card and an address ... and the indicated address also must not be the same as shown on the ID card.

To register and license this vehicle with TM you need to provide an insurance certificate (which is usually issued only to persons having the proper driving license) of the person in who's name the vehicle has to be registered.
This means YOU can also go to TM and register and license the car which YOU previously bought to register it in the name of a person who has the correct driving license ... and insurance certificate.

And not to wast your time with waiting at TM, you give 20,- to your insurer and he will do the whole registration and licensing process for you.

I have never ever been asked for my driving licence in 6 years......!!!!!