I want learn English.I still feel nervous speaking English to others.

I am not an Expat but I really want to learn to speak English. I still feel nervous about speaking English to others. I don't practice speaking as often as I want to because I'm afraid that I will make a mistake or be laughed at. I want to improve my English, I need to be confident. What should I do?

The first thing you need to do is to stop being nervous about trying to speak English.

So.. To do that you need to spend time talking to natural English speakers, and not Filipinos.  Unfortunately, English speaking Filipinos tend to make new English learners nervous.

You will find that most Overseas born English speakers will not laugh at any mistakes, after all, we don't want you laughing at us when we try to speak Filipino ;)
Most of us would prefer to help you to speak English, so that we don't need to learn another language :)

So.  Try, and don't worry.

Unfortunately I have come across many that are too scared to try, for that same reason you gave.  But those that did try have all done very well. One is now an Australian Senior Nurse, and another works for the Australian Federal Government.  It wasn't the confidence that they could speak English, as they did need to learn, but it came down to being prepared to try.

Oh dear! Your posting in English was so clear. You have me worried now. :/

I agree with ABCDiamond. You need to spend some time talking to natural English speakers. They are not likely to laugh at your mistakes, or correct your grammar or pronunciation, simply because it is impolite to do so. So don't get wrapped up in getting pronunciation and grammar correctly. And besides, it also helps natural English speakers to  understand what Filipinos mean when they say certain words, like "green witch" is not about what the character in "Wicked" looks like, but Greenwich.

Filipinos sometimes have a tendency to talk fast. It's probably because they're used to talking fast. Tagalog words, especially verbs, have more syllables compared to English verbs. "Talk" in Tagalog has 3 syllables, "talked" has 4, and "talking" has 5. Maybe you can try talking in English at a slower pace to relax, gather your thoughts, and express yourself better.

My wife to be from the Philippines speaks English but talks so fast I am challenged to understand her. Speaking a slower pace than the usual rapid pace helps and like everyone has been saying, practice, practice, practice. I currently live in Houston and confronted with people attempting to speak English from many other countries. I respect the people attempting to learn.

Practice makes perfect. So try to speak english as often in order for you to be comfortable in doing that.

The first thing is to LISTEN to English and notice how the words fit together.

Its then good to learn set sentences off by heart, so they trip off your tongue.

It is important when you are alone and listening to English to say words outloud so you get used to how you sound and actually making the words and being able to repeat them quickly. But as above, slowly first, then when confident the words will flow more smoothly.

Listen and Repeat (Parrot) are good basic methods for self-taught people.

Shane, I want to add my encouragement to ABCDiamond's. Just do it.  Every westerner will encourage you not laugh at  you.

Just be confident. Improve your English by watching TV shows or movies in English language. Or read articles and stories that are written in English.