Help me learn how to become an expat to the Philippines

Just starting my research to move to the Philippines.  Please share your experiences and knowledge with me.  Visas, moving, best and worst areas, things to avoid, common scams, taxes, buying/renting a home, transportation, dealing with the govt, ship furniture and a car or purchase there? etc...

I am a 48 year old white heterosexual male, never married, retired at 42 and will NOT be seeking a job.  My plan is to "scout" the Philippines this summer and determine which area might best be suited to my lifestyle.  The ideal setting for me is a safe location near cultural activities, seaside areas are a plus, access to good health care, low cost of living (compared to the western world), in or near an American expatriate community and close to some nightlife.

Please allow me to learn from your experiences...............

Thank you very much

Mabuhay! Let us know first a little bit about yourself, how old you are, if you are a retiree, if have pension, savings,or need to look for a job, are you marrried,divorced, with kids, etc. This will help us find out how we can help you.
When ar eyou planning to move?

Get the basics done, and I will send you more information. Try to look as well for some of my posts here. I have already helped a lot of people here one way or another.

Sincerely,

Pinaymentor

Mabuhay! Let us know first a little bit about yourself, how old you are, if you are a retiree, if have pension, savings,or need to look for a job, are you marrried,divorced, with kids, etc. This will help us find out how we can help you.
When ar eyou planning to move?

I have updated my profile to include the information that you suggested.  I am 48 years old, never married, white heterosexual male, retired at 42 and will NOT be seeking a job.  My plan is to "scout" the Philippines this summer and determine which area might best be suited to my lifestyle.  The ideal setting for me is a safe location near cultural activities, seaside areas are a plus, access to good health care, low cost of living (compared to the western world), in or near an expatriate community and close to some nightlife. 

I appreciate your comments and encourage everyone to share some of their experiences.  Even a short note to say; don't let this happen to you or watch out for that, is very much appreciated.

hope we could be friends my e-mail [email protected] 09209094209 celphone can i get your yahoo i.d messenger id or e-mail address
tahnks a lot,
rosa

are u here in the philippines already?

Hi!, I am considering moving to the Philippines in the future; I am interested in any information about living costs in Northern Mindanao, (Zamboanga Del Norte). I am married to a Filipina from Dipolog City, and we have a son who is five. Our plan is to possibly move in one year, and we are researching as much as we can about the cost of living and necessary paperwork to complete.
Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks,

BMeehan

Hi Rodger,

It is a good thing that you will take the time off to do a little bit of research here in the Philippines. Here are some suggestions that you may consider. We can create a travel package for you so that you can see the Northern part*Subic, Clark) and Southern part of Luzon ( Batangas, Tagaytay)Cebu, Boracay, Palawan and other areas you wish to see. I am 45 and my hubbie is 44 and are semi-retired.

The only places that we recommend are areas where there is a US standard hospital nearby, near the beach, golf course, great resort with amenities like swimming pool, jacuzzi,bar, spa, safe locations. When you say cultural activities, what exactly do you mean by that?

Everything will depend on your monthly budget. If you intend to retire here, and if you have a pension, if you have at least $50k to invest in, you can qualify to our Retirement Visa program.

Let me know where you are at, and where you want to go so we can assist you more effectively.

Sincerely,

Pinaymentor

What is retirement visa program

You want a bigger city but not to big. Under 1 million. That has a visa office there. Plan on a week or 2 in a hotel or lodge. 300 peso a day up for a room. 1000 peso for a decent room up. A taxi drive around town and you will see many in that range for rent. Spend a week look the town over. Lots to do here if you know were to look. Are willing to travel by buss and like a simple life. Beach's there are many. Most small seashore towns have 1. Travel by bus they are cheap to outlaying towns, get on face book read the paper and watch the news for events. illigan city has a festival next week.  CDO. I go to the circus Sunday here, most towns have a few intertainment areas, depending on what you are looking for. The thing is you need learn a town and area here. A taxi driver just to drive around looking at what is for rent is adviswd they don't advertise here. 10,000 peso a month up for unfurnished house.  Take out a 6 month lease learn the area if you don't like it there. Move to a different town or area. It is what you make it here. Buy a car here import tax will kill you. Crime is low here.  I would advise do not move to far out of town. That is were the city life is and be close to it. To far out and well you are to far out.