Chinese New Year in Nha Trang?

Hello. I have been traveling around SE Asia for a few months as I am contemplating a move here. I just arrived in Nha Trang and really like it! I am traveling solo and will be here for the new year. I wondered if there was a location where many ex-pats hang out? I would love to chat with people about their experience living here. And - if anyone has a recommendation on where to spend the new years celebration?

Thank you!
Stephanie

Sailing club is a beach side pub famous for travelers and expats.. try it out.  open all day and late night.

good food.  coffee, drinks. Google a bit about it.

Thank you so much! I went there last night to check it out and loved it. Seems like a great place to go for the new years. Interesting the celebration doesn't seem to be just one night like we do in the US -- seems to go on for about a week which is fun. Again, thank you for taking the time to give me a suggestion.

Have a great time here.. vietnamese people are so friendly and outgoing.  hope you will carry great memories with you.

I enjoyed so much the time I spend in Nha Trang. This was for sure the best new year ever. I even made a lot of photos with things with astrology, I mean all animals. I am thinking to go and next year, but now to find a partner for the rest of my life.

Now, try to say Lunar New Year instead of Chinese New Year if you want make Vietnamese friends  :lol:

WillyBaldy wrote:

Now, try to say Lunar New Year instead of Chinese New Year if you want make Vietnamese friends  :lol:

I believe the distinction is more than semantic or even political.   Don't ask me for a detailed reason but apparently there are different astronomic ways to calculate when the new year falls that sometimes result in different dates in China and Vietnam.

THIGV wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

I believe the distinction is more than semantic or even political.   Don't ask me for a detailed reason but apparently there are different astronomic ways to calculate when the new year falls that sometimes result in different dates in China and Vietnam.

Well, from personal experience I can tell you I offended a few Vietnamese before when calling their celebration "Chinese New Year", and it was not for the reasons you mentioned but there can be two truths :lol: Their reasons: "we're Vietnamese, not Chinese, okayyy!?"

I also offended at least one person on the forum when I called it Chinese New Year.
I was in Saigon and Hanoi for the Lunar New Year of 2018 and was expecting a festive time. I have to say it wasn't my best trip. A lot of the restaurants were closed and it didn't feel very festive. If you have family in VN, then yes, it will be very festive. Same when I flew to Hanoi. Taxi ride from airport to Old Quarter was expensive but the ride back from Old Quarter to airport after the new year was way cheaper. Just my experience. Hope yours is spectacular!

On New Year's Eve, I often go to Lunar Lounge Bar - Nha Trang.
Because this great place to watch fireworks, This is the culture of our country.

I hope see you there on new year's Eve.

Nha Trang seems great for Tet. I think Rach Gia will be totally dead. I'll need to stock up my fridge with food and beer!!

THIGV wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

Exactly.
Just call it Tet and everyone will be even happier.