Can I bring Iaito to Vietnam?

Hi everyone, I am a fairly new iaidoka and am going to Vietnam for a few weeks. Can I bring my iaito (steel imitation sword to practice iaido) to Vietnam? Anyone has any experience please share.

(I've got some fear that Vietnamese customs could confiscate my sword and even fine me. In fact, the iaito is just a sport instrument, just like a tennis racket...)

Thank y'all!

I have no idea what a iaito is.

I would imagine that your first problem will be checking it in at your airport.

When you make it to vietnam, your challenge would be to get it past customs, which you probably can with some dongs.. Then getting it out of Vietnam again.. Even more dongs.

It's a hassle, and it's only a few weeks. If you practice swinging a sword in the middle of a park, someone might call the police.

Surely not , when my brother did the same bringing one from Japan.

Saigon Domaine: Oh, you mean I can't? What happened to your brother's iaito?

Simon: Thanks, at my end it should be alright, I've got my iaito ordered and delivered to the US from Japan.
I may stay a few weeks, or more... can't be without training a day, so it's important to me :-)

Call the airline you'll be traveling on and VN customs. Personally, I think it will cause you more than a few problems and will probably get taken away.

For such a short visit I'd also leave behind your surfboard, ninja throwing stars, and your PlayStation. If you get board you can always play iaidoka with a broken broom handle.

He came back a business Trip from Japan. a Japanese friend gave him a sword as a souvenir. He stuck at the airport because of this. After spending hours for answering so many questions, he was released without the souvenir. However, after a month and finally he can get it back because his friends knowing someone working at the airport.

Adhome01 wrote:

Call the airline you'll be traveling on and VN customs. Personally, I think it will cause you more than a few problems and will probably get taken away.

For such a short visit I'd also leave behind your surfboard, ninja throwing stars, and your PlayStation. If you get board you can always play iaidoka with a broken broom handle.

Thank you, i've got a bokken in Saigon... A wooden sword it is, enough for training, but I'd miss my sword badly... Anyway, you guys were more than helpful! Thanks so much :-)

Saigon Domaine wrote:

He came back a business Trip from Japan. a Japanese friend gave him a sword as a souvenir. He stuck at the airport because of this. After spending hours for answering so many questions, he was released without the souvenir. However, after a month and finally he can get it back because his friends knowing someone working at the airport.

Oh I see, it's a clear message for me then, I'd be better off without my sword :-)

Thank you!