Medication question

I recently had the misfortune of catching a skin complaint in Sosua DR , looks like Scabies which from what one hears is quite common here.
So tried to get medication, the pharmacy by Texaco station/Metro office was quite useless, very limited English, but I knew enough Spanish to explain and wrote down the Spanish word, which apparently is "La Sarna" and asked for lotion..so she gave me some tablets which looked completely unrelated to scabies ...something to do with stomach. I said "I wanted skin Lotion not tablets" - "We dont have". ...Yes very useful.

So tried to find another more competent Pharmacy and ended up in Charamicos They seemed much better and got some lotion and quite cheap.
However when I saw the name I was a bit concerned it was LINDANO  ( Made by Jupageva Internacional Santo D, and apparently for Escabicida and Pediculicida -whatever that is)

I then recalled that the chemical Lindane in the past used in shampoos and lotions, has a reputation for being very toxic and is now banned in Europe and many US States.
So worried that this Lindano stuff is related to Lindane (the bottle does not list ingredients)
Anyone got any advice on this matter, whether this Lindano stuff is safe -and if not alternatives and where to get it at a competent outlet?

I cant be of much help here, Bob will help I am sure....

Actually it should work but my recollection is that it is toxic. Maybe you should see a doctor first.

And welcome to the forum

Bob K

Thanks Bob,
yeah could well be toxic, but seems in DR they do not care, as long as its cheap, which this stuff was.

Heard there is a pharmacy at Super Pola? maybe better than the one by MetroBus, one could always ask there I guess, hoping to get better info.

Looking on Net seems Lindane is used as last resort, if other safer lotions are not effective.
And seems it can even kill you in rare cases!!   Yep think we can pretty much assume its toxic - so looks like I wont be using that stuff....better start looking for safer alternative!
If I cant find looks like a case of- itching is better than dying...
-------------------

>Lindane Lotion should only be used in patients who cannot tolerate or have failed first-line treatment with safer >medications for the treatment of scabies.

>Neurologic Toxicity:

>Seizures and deaths have been reported following Lindane Lotion use with repeat or prolonged application, but >also in rare cases following a single application used according to directions.

The pharmacy in Super Pola is a national "brand" but now sure of their expertise.  The pharmacy next to the small Playero in town always seemed pretty good to me.

Bob K

Ah... Bob saves the day again :-)
did not see that pharmacy by Small Playero before... Mmmh, besides medicine, better get some new glasses too :-)

You were indeed correct, that place is much better than the crap pharmacy by Metro office!

Much better stocked and staff who actually know what they are talking about and give correct medicine. The guy even pointed out the details on the package, to make sure it was exactly what I was looking for.
Such Dominican efficiency - I am speechless :-)

So the Scabie enemy has been soundly defeated, thank God!  The itching was driving me nuts!!

Anyway, if anyone has the same misfortune to catch that awful s***,  the stuff you want at that nice pharmacy is called Scabisan (375 Pesos).

!!! Do not touch that cheap Lindano stuff, can be hazardous (or even lethal in rare cases).

Thanks for sharing this info!

Glad they were able to help and you are now itch free :D

Bob K