Taking US Govt. contracting job in Stuttgart - what costs are covered?

Hello,

I currently live in Northern Virginia. I am looking at Govt. IT contracting jobs in Germany. I am a SQL Server Database Administrator / Developer. Most seem like they're in the Stuttgart area. In the past, I had received some offers, but couldn't do the move at the time. Now we are ready. It is me, my wife, 12 yo daughter, and possibly my 19 yo son. He's in community college right now. Next year he would be starting his 3rd year at a school that offers Industrial Design. With that major, I am of course going to try to get him to consider coming to Germany. Or maybe, for graduate school.

Anyway, what kinds of costs are covered with these OCONUS contracting jobs? COLA, HOLA, Int'l school, tax-free, moving there and back, shipping car? I need some specifics.

Thanks a lot.

-Steve

Hello Steve and welcome on board Expat.com :)

Hope that soon enough some members will be able to help you!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

I am not aware of USA government jobs in Stuttgart, but maybe at one of the military installation there are some. If so, the USA military always have rules that are very different from anything else in the country they reside and you are not likely to find somebody here who knows them in detail. Please ask them directly!

If you are talking about "normal" IT jobs in Germany, here are some pointers:
- Schooling (including university) is of course entirely in German language, although I heard there is an (expensive and inconveniently located) international school (up to secondary school) in Fellbach near Stuttgart.
- Any income is of course taxable. German taxes and social security deductions (incl. compulsory health insurance) are high and complicated. Get a good tax adviser!
- It makes no sense to ship a car to Germany: The formalities, cost and effort to bring it up to European safety and environmental standards will be more than the cost of buying a comparable car here.
- All other additional benefits are up to your employers goodwill and your negotiation skills. It is not common to get much more than a one-time relocation assistance.

Yes, I am talking about a position with a military base, that's why I said US Govt. contracting.

I know these types of jobs provide for the things I mentioned (HOLA, COLA, etc.), I was just looking for someone that might know details (in general), or who might have had a position like this recently.

Thanks anyway.

Steve

Sorry, these rules are very specific and usually contradict German laws (no idea how they can get away with that?!?), so nobody here will be able to advise you. Ask the military administration directly!

The only specifics you can get are directly from the potential employer.  You did not state if the employer is the US military/other US agency or a contracting company for the military, so your question must be directed toward the hiring agency or company. The benefits and privileges (such as px, commissary, gasoline ration purchase allottment, cigarette ration purchase card, coffee ration purchase card) you may receive will depend upon your employment status and are governed by the status of forces agreement between the US government and the Federal Republic of Germany.  Contracting companies of US agencies are usually extra-territorial employers in Germany (and those are a big "if" concerning benefits and privileges).  Just remember one thing; the base closure and readjustment act is valid for all US posts worldwide; not too many of them are left now in Germany and there are still plenty of 25bravos who left the army with a European discharge and work directly for the military/some US agency or most probably their respective contracting companies. Limiting the number of contracts that are offered as a result of the downsizing of the wars will have an effect as well.  Competing for these postions which you are looking at right now are also those ex-army 25bravos who are currently in the European theater whose contracts have been or will be canceled in the near future.  They defintely have all the necessary current required courses already completed and valid security background investigations still on record.  They are already on site in Germany and therefore no extra high cost of moving is involved.  Oh yes, the budget and benefits are greatly reduced, thanks to sequestration, etc. One anecdote:  they don't even pass out towels at the gym anymore on the bases like they used to 3 years ago, you have to bring your own.  That is to say that budget reductions are the big thing now and a security background investigation for you will probably cost as much as the total move would cost and these take a long time to complete - there are lots and lots of rules and regulations to follow, remember that even if you are a civilian who is only "employed" by the army, i.e. not a soldier, that you are also "in the army now" - it is not just a silly line from an old song - it is a very profound statement.  Instead of asking questions like "how much Hola, Cola, which international schools, will the goverment ship my car?, etc.", my advice is to find out if you want to get into something like that first, to get yourself a clear concept of what you will be getting into, since you would be overseas and it is not the kind of a job you can just walk away from if you decide it was a mistake; your status would change literally overnight with no protection from the US goverment in a foreign country whose language is different and without a clear understanding of local law with which you would immediately have to deal.  If you decide to apply, then be sure to contact someone who knows how to apply for these kind of jobs (there seems to be almost a ritual to follow) and if somehow you get really, really lucky and do get the job, then you can ask your employer all the questions your heart desires about that stuff like Hola, Cola, international schools, "will the goverment ship my car?", etc. If the employer is not going to give you what you want, no one is going to force you into the job.

I know others have said this, but these  are answers you can only get from the govt contracting company or, if a civilian government position, the government agency itself. Not all benefits are across the board the same, and what someone got when they pcs'ed here three years ago might not be the same as what the same position gets today. As for base privileges, I personally don't know any government employee or contractor who does not have access to base privileges such as the PX, gas, VAT forms, etc. That includes civilians working for contracting companies. They all have  privileges. However, there are special tax situations that apply to contractors that don't apply to gov and military employees. I do have to disagree with the sentiment that you'd be suddenly without US protection in a foreign land. While you absolutely would be required to follow German law, American base legal services are here for the explicit purpose of supporting US forces/employees. You're most certainly not without legal support. But regarding the original question, it's true that no one can give you specific information besides the government or contracting agency. -sincerely, kari - karilogue.com.