4-wheel drive rental car from San Juan

Hi,

Can anyone offer advice on a good 4-wheel drive rental car option for a 7 day trip?  I was told 4-wheel drive is needed to handle the island's hilly roads.  I'll be driving from Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport ("SJU") to Rincón.

1. If I choose from among the available options at the airport, will I pay too much? 
2. Regardless of which rental car company I use, will I be able to choose "4-wheel" drive as a option? I wouldn't know which cars have 4-wheel drive unless someone told me.
3. Cómo se dice "four wheel drive" en español: "impulsión de cuatro ruedas"? "traccioón en las cuatro ruedas"?  Una frase diferente?
4. If the rental car companies at the airport are the most expensive ones, can anyone recommend a cheaper option close enough to get to by taxi from the airport?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

In my experience your only option with 4x4 is a Jeep Wrangler. Many companies rent them, but they are usually the most expensive thing you can get. Some of the rental places will tell you not to engage the four wheel drive (they don't want you going 'off-road'), but it is not actually disabled. (You are thus better off not telling them you will being using the four wheel drive.) Do not get a non-Jeep SUV as these are generally not 4-wheel drive.

Cuatro-por-cuatro means four-by-four, but you will probably find that agents working at rental car place speak perfect English. (Many people on PR, particularly in rural areas, do not speak English well if at all - however people working in the tourist industries often speak excellently.)

Charlie Car Rental (closest location is Avenida Isla Verde, I believe) and Target Car Rental (closest location off PR-26 in Santurce) are home-grown chains that probably also rent Jeeps. They may or may not be cheaper than the U.S. companies. At least Charlie Car does airport pickup. Target Car Rental is a $20 taxi ride from the airport (although they may also pick you up).

You may not need four wheel drive. If you are being extremely adventurous on the high mountain roads the gradients can be very steep, in which case four wheel drive is reassuring, although front wheel in a standard car would probably cut it. Also, many of the rural roads are paved but in bad shape (potholes, etc.) so having higher clearance in an SUV or Jeep is helpful, although rarely absolutely necessary (you can also carefully navigate the potholes if the roads are really rough). Where on the island do you plan to go so I could give better feedback from my own experience?

At a minimum, i'm just driving along that northern most highway from San Juan to Rincon (and back again, obviously).  Then, I'll mostly be looking at apartments, a few gyms, grocery stores, in the Mayaguez/Añasco area, near the coast, because I'm planning on moving there for 6 to 12 months.  I haven't yet decided what kinds of excursions I'll partake in when I'm not "working" on scouting the area.

Driving from San Juan to Mayaguez the roads are fine & you have nothing to worry about. Even the rural roads near the coast should be fine with a standard sedan. A sedan over an SUV also has the added security of a trunk. Good luck.

Yes, I would say you would be fine with just a standard vehicle.  We've rented from Charlies Car rental with great service and also, with Enteprise right at the airport.  They were wonderful and quick to check you in and out.  I'd say yourself some money and just rent a regular car (we used a Yaris last time and it was just fine).

Have fun!

Are you moving for work or just a long term rental?  I'd love to hear more and how you will transition.  Bless!

Just a long term rental.  Taking some time off.

Good for you, I wish you all the best!