Vegetarian, vegan or a meat-eater?

English2Francais wrote:

We as humans are omnivores. Our body is naturally built to eat everything.

That can't possibly be true.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
English2Francais wrote:

We as humans are omnivores. Our body is naturally built to eat everything.

That can't possibly be true.

LOL  :lol:
I should have specify "every food groups".  ;)

Unless Twinkies are a food group.  Our bodies were definitely not built to eat that junk.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Unless Twinkies are a food group.  Our bodies were definitely not built to eat that junk.

I disagree.  :D
Where's my Twinkies

hello,
i am a vegetarian and love the huge variety it offers to balance your diet perfectly. i dont preach this concept to others, but my simple logic is non violence in mind speech and action. i would not like to see an animal suffer only because it could be tasty.... i love veggies, soya, tofu, nuts, fruit platters, and never suffered from b12, or protein or calcium deficiency ever.

I've read that you can get every little bit of vitamins and protein you need from produce and grains.

anuma wrote:

hello,
i am a vegetarian and love the huge variety it offers to balance your diet perfectly. i dont preach this concept to others, but my simple logic is non violence in mind speech and action. i would not like to see an animal suffer only because it could be tasty.... i love veggies, soya, tofu, nuts, fruit platters, and never suffered from b12, or protein or calcium deficiency ever.

ecological balance was there before you and I. They eat greens, I eat them. Like the lion and the wildebeest. It's just a matter of taste. No one is right or wrong.

As a boy I once watched a bull being killed at my uncle-in-law's cattle station in Central Queensland. I have never forgotten the shock. A very large beast it was, in a pen maybe thirty feet in diameter; a couple of dozen employees and their families leaned against the fence and watched the show. A man with a rifle – an old Enfield .303 – waited patiently on the fence for the beast to stand still and in the right place, then shot it in the forehead. To my surprise, nothing happened. The man lowered his rifle; the bull stood immobile, as did the spectators. It was eerie. After five seconds – maybe seven or eight – the front knees wobbled slightly, then it collapsed in slow motion in a cloud of dust.

In my personal blog, a while back [November 2012, titled The Man from Snowy River; I just looked it up], I wrote about how my Dad used to kill a sheep every ten days, for meat. Dad carefully scraped out the brains – a finicky job that he hated. In that post I noted the difference in attitude between townies and bushies towards the lives and deaths of animals. There are few vegetarians in the bush.

It's only natural that individuals' life experiences influence their attitudes towards controversial topics - not least, towards meat-eating. I'm a rather squeamish chap - as a kid I once threw up while plucking the feathers off a hen I'd beheaded for Xmas - but I have never felt any embarrassment about eating animals.

That brings up an interesting point.  Some people say you shouldn't eat if if you're not willing to kill it yourself.  How many people who eat Big Macs are willing to grind up the cows and mealworms?

But most of us eat things we didn't farm ourselves.  I can make a pizza at home, but I'd rather go out and buy one.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

But most of us eat things we didn't farm ourselves.  I can make a pizza at home, but I'd rather go out and buy one.

Nah. Much nicer if you've caught the anchovies yourself, though, Hailey.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR