New guy here

New to the fourm but not the lifestyle, lived in Thailand for 5 years in Hua Hin. (I like quiet). Been in Dumaguete PI for 5.
Concidering Nha Trang. Made a few trips to VN. Hanoi, Ho Chi Min, Sapa, Danang, was stationed there in 65-66.
I love the country and the people. Got a real thing for asian women.
I don't drink and don't smoke, I do like to meet people and photography.
Hopefully will meet some local expats that can give me some good advise on where to go to find companionship and stay out of trouble. If there anything I've learned in ten years it "stay under the radar"

I lived in Hua Hin about 10 years ago, and then in China, Cambodia , Nha Trang and Dumaguete and now In Vung Tau, Vietnam. Vietnam is the most difficult place to live because of the total lack of English. Nha Trang has been taken over by Russian tourists and they are an unfriendly group of people. The Vietnamese people are superficially friendly and shy to talk to foreigners. Most don't want to talk to you. Very rude and inconsiderate. Traffic is the same as the rest of Asia. Terrible. Also, the girls are the same. Bad girls and good girls (their words). It is very difficult to meet the good ones because of the total lack of English. I really like Da Nang. It has been developed nicely now and there are lots of things to do and places to go.  You can reach me at [email protected]

Hi and welcome to the forum.
If you love photography, perhaps you'd consider starting a photo thread about the country.
I'm pretty sure it'd be a popular topic.

A bit like this....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 573#527221

mas fred wrote:

Another slow day in Indon?

garyww wrote:

Vietnam is the most difficult place to live because of the total lack of English.

Wow! Talk about a fighting post. I wonder why some people stay here after reading your list. 'Total lack of English' - how's your Vietnamese? I know 4-5 year olds who have good command of English (for their age). When I used to pick my daughter up from night school, numerous VNese children would approach me and speak fluent, colloquial English to me as we waited.

How about the street kids who used to swarm the tourist areas? Youngsters, many under 10 years of age, who could carry a conversation in colloquial (as opposed to book) English. Made me feel ashamed.

You have been nowhere in this country, based on you post, there are so many places Foreigners rarely go. Cities, in any country, are hardly representative of life in more rural situations. Is New York representative of Colorado, New Mexico or Nebraska? The same applies to VN.

garyww wrote:

Nha Trang has been taken over by Russian tourists and they are an unfriendly group of people.

Russians, too, have language problems and, naturally, like many Foreigners, tend to 'flock' and 'huddle'. They most likely have similar opinions of yourself. Many Russians spent service time in Cam Ranh Bay, too.

You will also find Russians congregating in Phu Quoc and Mui Ne (Phan Thiet). Better avoid them, too. (And all along the coastline between VN and Sihanoukville)

garyww wrote:

The Vietnamese people are superficially friendly and shy to talk to foreigners. Most don't want to talk to you. Very rude and inconsiderate.

Vietnamese ARE friendly, and they ARE generous, and they ARE welcoming.

Could it be that they detect and reflect your attitude to them, back to you?

The VNese went through hell and back both during the American War in VietNam as well as for many years because of the US-orchestrated financial boycott. Yet not many carry grudges. Compare that to the West where several countries are still fighting WW2.

I have been invited to share a meal, or a mat on a floor by complete strangers - hardly fitting your description.

garyww wrote:

Traffic is the same as the rest of Asia. Terrible.

You can make it better, drive as you would back home, observe speed limits and signs. You can derive a vicarious satisfaction following the Rules of the Road - they do have them - drives other drivers horn crazy.

garyww wrote:

Also, the girls are the same. Bad girls and good girls (their words).

So the USA doesn't have Bad girls and Good girls? Get real, VN is little different than most other countries. Your comment is sexist.

And what is your definition of either a Bad girl or a Good girl? Is it assigned by you based on whether they accommodated your needs or not?

Recognise that you likely walk around with clothing and electronic goodies that represent well over a months pay, to them.

I take it you don't know Bad 'boys' or Good 'boys'.

garyww wrote:

It is very difficult to meet the good ones because of the total lack of English.

Bad girls and Good girls, adopting your classifications, often have basic English and many have fluent English.

How's your Vietnamese?

Jaitch wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Another slow day in Indon?

Not at all, I just noticed a potentially very interesting new poster, so I wanted to welcome him to the forum, and suggest a possibility that may encourage his interest in photography and allow members from other countries to understand daily life in Vietnam.
I know of no photographer that doesn't like to show his pictures and, if it becomes a popular forum topic, it helps everyone.

It seems so much better than a moan and rebuke.

Pfotoguy wrote:

I don't drink and don't smoke, I do like to meet people and photography.
Hopefully will meet some local expats that can give me some good advise on where to go to find companionship and stay out of trouble.

Welcome to VN.

An ideal man! No drink no smoke.. Not good,  beer is tasty.

What do you mean companionship?

stay out of troubles? I grew up from troubles and realize that the best way to stay out of troubles is making connection with right people who have experiences. Those can be a lawyer, a doctor and someone has high position in the government.

Regards

Thanks for the comments guys. Dumaguete is just getting way to overcrowded. As for English? I've spent some time in VN and never had a problem. If fact lots of time students will ask if they can practice their English with me and befor you know it I've got 30 students all chattering away.

Attitude has a lot to do with how people perceive and react to you. A warm smile and pleasent hello will take you a long way. Same in Thailand with the language some places speak very little English but I've always got around.

Hopefully I can meet a few of you and get some good info about living there.

:)

I don't mind having a cold beer or two with pizza or spicy food. But I haven't been drunk in over 45 years, see no reason to start now. I think I have as much fun and enjoy life as much as anyone.

Companionship? Been married 3 times. There won't be a fourth. Had a live in in Thailand for 4 years, had one in the Phills for 3.

But it's nice to have a meal and share a sunset with someone.

At 68 and a bad back sex isn't at the top of the list anymore. It's still there but just lower on the list.

Sorry Jaitch, you obviously want to argue. My statement about the lack.of English is about the lack of most adults having any English skills. I have lived in almost all countries in Asia and find Vietnam to be the Asian country with the least Englush skills. The good girl/bad girl comment was, as I stated, a term the girls use, not me. I have helped start a free English Club here and try to engage people  in English at every opportunity. I find that doing every day business difficult because of the lack of English. I also go to.the park in HCMC whenever I am there to.help the students with their English.

Got lots of pictures. What I don't have is good internet. The Philippines has some of the worst in the world. Along with they're airport and 3rd highest electric in the world. But I will post some later.