Comfortable Living as an Older Gay Man in Cuenca?

Hello Everyone. I am planning on retiring within the next 2 years and moving to Ecuador. I am debating between Quito and Cuenca. [I will be visiting Ecuador Dec 2012  - Jan 2013 and hope to visit a few more times before I make a decision between the two cities.]

I am an older single gay man and I would really appreciate responses from forum members on these two questions:

1) Is it reasonable/unreasonable to expect to live in Cuenca as a gay man? At this time of my life, I am not interested in night clubs, etc., but I _do_ need to be able to let friends know who I am. By no means is being gay the only part of my identity, but it is an important part, and I know that one cannot make real friends while keeping such a core part of myself secret.

2) Is there a community of gay men in Cuenca? I ask this because I would like to have the opportunity to meet other gay men for friendship/community. I know that a low likelihood of meeting other gay men would be a negative for me as it would mean a significant gap/loneliness in my life.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses,
Jim

Hey Jim,
2 disclosures: I'm not gay, and I don't live in Ecuador as yet, but plan to move there in the next year. I have visited, and found it to be a very cool country.
As to the gay issue, and the acceptance, I would think it would be an accepting society. I spent most of my time in Cuenca, and saw a number of gay/ lesbian couples. They seemed to blend in with all. In my lifes experiences, it seems the more a community is into the arts, the more accepting they are of all. Cuenca is a very art oriented culture.
You may also want to purchase a DVD that was produced re: Cuenca Ecuador.  There are a number of them, under the series  " Live or Retire Overseas " and of course, it's the Cuenca Ecuador addition you would be interested in. There is a gay man that is on the video, and he seems to feel he's truly found a second home, and does not run into any homophobe issues.
I wish you the best in your search. It's a pity that the question you pose, even has to be asked.
Good Luck,
Neil

Hi Neil. Thanks very much for your response and information - I very much appreciate it. I saw some info about the DVD you mentioned and I will definitely order it.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond,
Jim

Would like all info on working and living in Cuenca

erichendrickson wrote:

Would like all info on working and living in Cuenca

This thread is a great introduction to life in Cuenca:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250920

In Ecuador, catholicism has very deep roots. With all what that includes. Specially in the highlands.
I will be wondering, ecuadorians acepting a guy person renting from them.
Some people does not show openly discrimination, but they do by making things "complicated" to handle.

I talk by experience.
Please, talk to people and keep asking in forums before you decide to do your moving.

I just read your post and realize it was quite sometime ago. Did you finally move to Cuenca or Quito. I would be interested in your experiences there.

I have lived in or near Cuenca for 9 years.  I am an older gay man but do not live a gay life style.  I did all that baloney in my 20's' and 30's.  If you want the gay life with bars and more it is here.  But I prefer not to engage.  Most Ecuadoirians are very open minded about sexual orientation, but I would only tell very good friends afterr you have known them for a while.  The gay life, while legal here, is viewd by the majority of the people from a strong Catholic orientation.  I would choose Cuenca any day over Quito, Guayaquil or other parts of Ecuador.  Loja is a good condsideratin although I do not think there are my gringos living there.  If you want io have a coffee or something one day, please let me know.  My name is Dave Nichols and my email is ***.  Bye the way, there us a faily sizeable group of married gay men and married gay women already living in and around 'Cuenca....Hasta luego, David

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post your contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
@Asarlai
Hey Jim, my name is Scott and I'm a 71 yr old single gay man.  I lived in Costa Rica for five years when. Was in my 40's.  I'm traveling to Quito and Cuenca for first time visit with n two weeks.  Leaving my Sept 28 and will be in Ecuador for three weeks.  I am looking both cities as candidates for peaceful retirement potential.  Let's stay in touch and share what we each learn and ndependently ofter our first trips.  Interested?
As other have mentioned the Catholic background of the majority of people in Latin America will pre-dispose them to not look favorably on homosexual lifestyles.

As a practical matter, Colombia is quite open to homosexuals for the most part, and Ecuador a bit less, in my experience.  If you live a quiet life and don't flaunt it, you'll be fine.  There is greater acceptance and tolerance in the bigger cities.

I'm sure all homosexuals are able to feel the "vibes" around them when someone does not like them, for whatever reason.  In Spanish if you hear words like "maricón", "marica" and "pato" (all offensive terms for homosexual) being spoken around you, it's probably time to move on out of the area smartly...

I'm an older (68) active gay man as well and looking to explore Cuenca for a long 3 or 4 week vacation.. I just found this thread and although the original post is from 2012, I see that others have posted in 2022. The hundreds of choices on Misterb&b, Airb&b, etc just get me dizzy,,, LOL,,, I wouldn't mind even staying with a gay friendly household or hostel. ,,, I'm not a "loud American", nor drink or "hook up",,,, I'm pretty low key and probably more interested in the vegetarian options of Cuenca and finding connection in the gay community there..