Need to try a Japanese SIM card - please help! (URGENT)

Hi everyone,

My name is Sachi and I am a Japanese-Canadian music teacher. I have been working at international schools abroad and I currently live in China. I'm moving to Kyoto with my partner at the end of July, and we are trying to figure out the cellphone situation.

We bought our cellphones in China, and after big struggles we finally figured out that they are not locked. We will be able to use them in Japan as long as Japanese SIM card works on our phones. The problem is that there is no way to check if it will or not until we insert one, and the stores won't let us try it until we buy one. (We called many companies and they all said the same.) We just need a kind person to lend us a working Japanese SIM card for few minutes so that we can try it on our phones. We don't want to pay for the SIM card and find out that it doesn't work with our phones... (Our phones are Samsung Galaxy Duos GT-S7562)

I will be staying at a hotel close to Fukakusa station in Fushimi-ku for a week from the 28th of July to look for an apartment. Please message me here if you will be able to meet up with me to help me with this on the 29th or the 30th. I speak Japanese too so if I can help you with something in return, I will be more than happy to do so.

Thank you!!
Sachi

Hi Sachimo,
I might answering you when it's too late or you might figured it out but here it is. Simply you cannot use a SIM card in Japan unless you buy a phone with a SIM card as a contract BUT there is a way :)

As soon as your flight arrive ask for SIM cards rental people in the airport will lead you to them and you will rent it from there. It might be costly like 9 GB + free massages for 270 USD/Month if you bargain you might take it for 210 USD or 200 USD it depends on you. Be carful No international calls allowed on the SIM.

Happy stay in Japan.

Thank you for your reply, Melebaao! I'm very sorry for the late response. The notification went into my junk mail.

I ended up getting a cheap phone in Japan because I didn't want to risk tons of money, but my partner was able to use bmobile sim card he bought in Japan on the same phone as mine (Sumsung).

Thanks anyway!