Retirement visa for Ecuador

Joseph,
mine was at $1,300.00, not to include the Notary here, and of course the government fees. It did include all the translations and such.
Hate to say it, but probably the best money I've spent in this whole endeavor!
Take Care,
Neil

Neil,

Given the ease and speed of your experience, it sounds like you got a good deal. Is it appropriate for you to share your Lawyer's name here? I think a lot of people would be interested. I dealt a little with a lawyer here in Loja, but found the service lacking (to put it politely). I did a lot of the work by myself with some help from a friend. So, I would not recommend him.

As an aside, I did the translations before I left and when I went to the Consulate in Washington D.C. to have my package reviewed, they noted I forgot to have the translations notarized. They packed them up, with the other documents I had, stamped everything with the Consulate seal, and then stapled them. When I got here, the Ministry accepted the package without comment or question. But, of course, there were other surprised I had to deal with. How can there be fun if there aren't surprises? But, the Consulates' help beyond the norm is why my experience with them was so positive.

Joseph,
The lawyers I used have a very good reputation. They can be found on Gringo Tree under " Recommendations " I originally used them for a property transaction. They are Grace & Nelson, a husband and wife team. She speaks excellent English, Nelson? Not a drop, but he is a very sharp guy, and knows all the current shenanigans with the legal system on the Visa end.
With their reputation,, and my personal experience, I feel pretty confident in recommending them. Yikes.... there I did it!
I would further add, I have NO affiliation with them in a business sense ie: finders fee. Just my reporting my experience with them. Like I said, under a month for the visa is pretty incredible from what I've heard reported.
Best Wishes to All,
Neil
Ps. like all things Ecuadorian, don't think they are ignoring you if your email isn't responded to right away.< a mistake I made>  On the business end, they are very thorough.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Joseph,
Yikes.... there I did it!

LOL. Yep, I know the feeling, and really appreciate the info. I know of them, but have never heard from anyone who has used them. It is really good to share this information. Thanks.

Joseph,
I was actually introduced to them via my Realtor last year. They handled everything flawlessly, so I felt pretty confident in giving them my Visa business.
I realize it's very difficult to put your self in the hands of someone you don't know, in a foreign country, but I had the good fortune to meet them face to face. That made the decision that much easier. All I can say is that it was the right one for me.
And to all, a good night!
Neil

Charlie, would you share your email address with me?  We are going on a scouting trip in September, looking for a place to retire to along the coast.  Bahia de Caraquez is at the top of our list right now and we have so many questions we would like to ask.  Or you can email me at [email protected].  Thank you for your willingness to help us.

Hello , sure email me at [email protected].  We are very happy to try to answer any questions you may have. It is great to be helping fellow North Americans escape the Rat Race.  And Bahia is such a special almost Magical Place. A real throwback to much easier times in our lives!  When we could let our kids play outside and feel secure with our lives.  Hope you have a great trip down here.  Strongly suggest you take the short hop to Manta to eliminate driving time when getting here.  Come join us North Americans and others, life is much simpler here.  Inexpensive and great foods too! I will await your reply. Charlie

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Joseph,
The lawyers I used have a very good reputation... They are Grace & Nelson, a husband and wife team. She speaks excellent English, Nelson? Not a drop, but he is a very sharp guy, and knows all the current shenanigans with the legal system on the Visa end.
With their reputation...

I have never used them, but have heard only good things about them.

Charlie tell us about the weather,,,average hi n low. Is the humidity high....keep hearing people talking dry like Arizona ,,,but with higher humidity kind of contradiction on words

Great weather, average 70' low and 85' highs. Some moisture, but with the breeze daily it keeps you cool.  The breeze is from the Humboldt Current, a low salination  breeze (low salt).  Very soothing and relaxing.  Cloudy some days Sunny and clear others. Even when raining it's warm.  The rain is necessary to keep it green here and the soil is richer because of it.  We like trees and they grow as does everything else here.  Very mild , moderate climate in Bahia.  The Coast gets progressively warmer and drier as you go south, and slightly cooler and wetter as you go north.  We don't like cactuses (Southern Coast), we like trees (Northern Coast).  The area we live in we picked as the most green and good growing areas and still close to everything such as shopping and restaurants.  If you go too far north it gets more isolated.  The next city that has shopping is Pedernales, 2 hours north of here.  The water is warm and feels great in the Ocean here!  Hope that helps folks! Charlie

Thank you Charlie

Charlie, what kind of shopping do you have there?  Super Maxi's, fisherman on the beach, a local grocery store, fresh produce markets?  Are there good seafood restaurants?  As long as I have all of the above, I'm good to go!

BahiA sounds ideal for us.  How do we get there?   INTO QUito the n take a bus?.  Should  We rent a car from airport?   We will be there after Easter 2014.  Would like to contact you.  Are there many pats in Bahia?

Ok, so we have right now a Tia Market and several smaller Grocery Stores.  They are building a Passeo Mall with more stores and movie theater, and of course shopping like clothes etc.  They say completion 12/13 but.......this is Ecuador so we'll see when it is done. Lots of great seafood and fish here.  Fresh daily.  Restaurants lots and a very nice Central Market with all the veggies, fruits and meats all fresh of course! We go to Manta or Portoviejo now about once a month if we need major stuff.  So yes we have all we need here and they are building more!! All fresh and all healthy.  100% grass fed beef here!  All free range chickens, and of course lobster!! I bought 16 lobsters from a fisherman for $40.00, that's $2.50 each and they were still alive! Good sized ones!  Cheap to  live here except cars and electronics are expensive.  Come see us when you come!! Charlie

Can't wait. We'll be in touch. How about nail techs &hair dressers and rental Prices?

I suggest a plane from the US LOL. OK sorry just a joke I couldn't resist. From Quito take the short hop (plane) to Manta then either taxi or hire a driver. Not safe to store your luggage on the bus down below. They stop a lot and open it up.  Ecuadorians friends insisted on us bringing our luggage by car and we rode the bus to protect our stuff. You can rent a car as well but get full insurance coverage and be prepared as Ecuadorians drive very fast and pass on corners and any time! Kinda scary at first.  I own a car but just let them pass and I  stay to the right as I am used to it. There are several expats here from USA and Canada.  Most people walk here and just enjoy the City and it's quiet peaceful streets. Five minutes to anywhere.  Love to see you if you come here, look us up.  With the new housing developments going in here outside of town there will be lots more expats as well. We live in a Condo. now renting. We are going to build in Canoa just 15 minutes north of here, a new home on the Ocean!  We love the Bahia area so nice and no traffic to fight. We escaped the rat race !! Love it here!! Charlie

Yes believe it or not they have nail techs and hair places. Our good friends Own a salon in San Vicente just across the bridge.  They are Ecuadorian but were in New Jersey for 20 years so are bilingual and they are much cheaper here. She has a nice shop in her home and does only a few per day so likes to talk and take her time with you . Very nice family. We are friends with a whole group of them! They made us part of the family now, so I guess we get the Cerveza and lots of fresh food on Holidays, Yummy!
Not sure what you like but it's very laid back here!
OK rental prices.  From $250 to $1000 per month.  Varies by Ocean View or not # of bedrooms and furnished or not.  Downtown Apts. start at $250, on the Malecon Ocean View/Ocean front $600 on up.  Penthouse 3 bedrooms Ocean front $1000 (all per month).
You CAN get Mortgages here for 70% loans on new homes.  As I am sure you know your US Passport gets you a 90 day visa automatically!  Enjoy Ecuador!  We do ! We have a 10 year old and he loves it here too! Charlie

If your social security payment is more than $800 without deduction (Medicare,etc.) but just less than $700 with health insurance subtracted, what should one do? Would an additional "income" to show more than $800/month in a bank account be required for the retirement visa? Should you arrive on a tourist visa and notify Social Security that Medicare will not be needed before applying for the retirement visa? When should one notify Social Security that Medicare will not be needed?

You can cancel the Medicare part B but it takes effect the month after. So you still pay another month more. Call them for more info.

Nancy, if you cancel Part B and for whatever reason you're return home and wish to re-install part B you based on everything I've read you in all probability pay a penalty of 10-30% increasing the current $104.50 cent monthly charge for part B by the penalty percentages I've used.
Be very careful with this health care issue particularly with the boys in DC  looking to slash and burn any dollars they can!

Pay attention to the details on the cancelled downside of part B it can and will almost certainly cost you later if you go home.

Timo, unless the law has changed within the last year (always possible), if you cancel part B and at a later date decide to reinstate it, then they will increase your premium 10% for every year you went with out it. Again this was of last year when my mother was checking out different options for herself.

Thank you all for your replies to my question on behalf of my 89 year old cousin. She is certain she would not return so this probably isn't an issue, though it is good to know and we will certainly inquire about any 2013 changes.

I am considering going to Cuenca  Equador   , possibly getting a pensada retirement visa  after a  visit and staying awhile to see how it is to live there in the country. Any information  about costs involved for the Pensada retirement visa  and any other information would be appreciated. My plan is to go sometime in the next 6 months or so.  Also , the apartments listed on craigslist for Equador , are they legitimate  and safe to check on, I know not to send money , and would check on the apartment  upon arriving  in equador. My retirement income is approx. 1200 a month, so that is what I have to work with and a small savings..Also my plan  is to have some dental work done there. as one reason I am interested  .

Bobby:

Welcome to the forum. Based on my own experience, I would say that $1200/month is enough to live on.

The Craiglist ads are legit, as far as I know, but tend to be mostly higher-priced places. Here are a few other sites:
http://www.trovit.com.ec/http://www.doplim.ec/http://www.adoos.ec/http://quito.blidoo.com.ec/http://quito.olx.com.ec/

There also are some rentals listed here on expat-blog.

Good luck.

I would appreciate any information about the best way to go about getting a pension retirement visa in Ecuador  , and estimate of costs involved

You can do it yourself or hire someone (facilitator) to assist you. We used a facilitator here in Quito. If interested you can contact him [email protected]

My wife and I are currently living here in Tena, Napo, Ecuador. My wife has a VISA through the foundation we are volunteering at however we are looking into either the VISA 9-IV: Religious as I am active with a Veteran to Veteran International ministry that I desire to open up a post here in Ecuador or under the VISA 9-I: Foreign Pension. They are both essentially the same in price, duration and requirements though I know I will need a few more items for the 9-IV than the 9-I paperwork wise. Being in Tena, I think it would be easier (and quicker distance wise) for us to work through Quito however would need to go through a facilitator rather than winging it on our own. All that said, I am putting a call out for someone that can recommend a "legit" facilitator that can help me without ripping me off. That would really put a dent in my day. Open for advice and suggestions, you won't hurt my feelings...unless of course you steer me wrong.

Need help and have some time to work through the process. I have all my paperwork apostilled so not too worried about that end of it, just needing the translated part and the help walking me through the valley to our VISA's.

Thanks

DEAR JOHN
I Could be wrong on this but i believe immigration recently changed the procedure .Before u could do it in Ecuador with tourist visa but now u must go to ECUADORIAN embassy closest to you in your country.
i could check on that next time I go to immigration in quito but trip and time waiting is sometimes all day to get information then as I have discovered sometimes info given  to me in past is contradictory and inaccurate depending who I talk to  at immigration office unless it is their immigration lawyers who give accurate info but takes some time to get appointment.
Website info on ecuador visas is many times not up to date and useless.
So safest bet is contact ECUADOR embassy closest to you in your country.
Study spanish in  QUITO or CUENCA places where you might want to live so u can know is this the sitio for me?
dang

Hello My name is David
I am retired and ready to move to Ecuador .
I would like to get •Fixed Income Pensioners v1 visa.
If anyone can recommend some help thank you .
I have live in Davao Philippines for 4 years love it but to hot .
Not sure were I wish to live seem many nice area to choose from .
thank you
David

I am planning to move to Cuenca in November (or a little earlier). We have a Ecuador Consulate here in Minneapolis, MN, and I will be visiting them in early June to get the most recent requirements, time-tables and expectations to qualify for the pensioner VISA. I'll be posting information as I get it on this forum.

davidjz wrote:

I am retired and ready to move to Ecuador.
I would like to get •Fixed Income Pensioners v1 visa.
If anyone can recommend some help thank you .

The correct number for Pensioners Visa is 9-I.

Among the papers you'll eventually need to have affixed with an apostille or international certification, and translated to Spanish in Ecuador, is proof of reliable income.

The threshold is $800 per month for the applicant and $100 additional for each dependent.  Social Security, company or government pension, or annuity income will suffice.  But not rental income.

Expats who can afford it are well-advised to hire an experienced EC immigration attorney to match up against the ministry or Cancillería's assortment of curveballs.  However, among Expats there are a select few (8 percent) who can negotiate the EC bureaucracy and emerge with a residency visa sans professional assistance. 

A less expensive option for assistance is the visa facilitator.  If you need a referral for an immigration attorney or a facilitator, PM me with your preferred Ecuador location.

The official visa-info web page is:
www.cancilleria.gob.ec/visas-inmigrante/?lang=en

The page is coming up in español-only today despite the green language icon.  If that's what you get, perhaps try back later...or grab a dual-language dictionary.

News you can use:  once the residency visa is granted, you may be outside Ecuador for only 90 days during each of the subsequent two 12-month periods.  If you are away longer, you stand to lose the visa and would re-apply to get a new one.

cccmedia in Quito
Investment-visa holder since February 2014

davidjz wrote:

I am retired and ready to move to Ecuador...
I haved lived in Davao, Philippines, for 4 years...love it but too hot.
Not sure where I wish to live...seem many nice areas to choose from .

The cooler places in Ecuador primarily are in the highlands.  This includes the capital, Quito, which is EC's second-largest city...and Cuenca, the beautiful and popular Expat favorite in southern Ecuador, which is the third-largest.  Some beach areas are cooled by breezes and may have moderate temps during the off-season (typically June-November, more or less).

The average daily-high temperature in Quito, on a monthly basis, is 67-68 degrees Fahrenheit, 12 months a year.  Cuenca has similar temps. 68 Fahrenheit translates to 20 degrees Celcius.

Other popular highland cities for Expats include Cotacachi and Vilcabamba.

The suburbs of Quito, including Tumbaco and Cumbayá, are at somewhat lower elevation than here, and daily highs can sometimes be 10-15 degrees (F.) warmer than the capital.  This means more outdoor swimming pools, which are a rarity in Quito.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank all I think warmer maybe better for me .
I love to ride motorcycle spending much time in the Philippine I like scuba.
It sound like I need a attorney what will it cost who is recommended.
Thank you
David

davidjz wrote:

I think warmer may be better for me .
I love to ride motorcycle...spending much time in the Philippines I like scuba.
It sounds like I need an attorney...what will it cost...who is recommended?

Seems like you're more of a beach guy than I first thought, so we're going to set you up to process your paperwork in Guayaquil.  It is not on the Pacific Ocean per se, which is where I suppose you're headed, but the big government offices are right there in Ecuador's largest city, 90 minutes from the ocean.

You'd be working with longtime visa facilitator Dana Cameron.  Her new email is [email protected] ...

If she doesn't respond immediately, it'd be worth your time to be persistent.  After all, she is IMO the hardest-working Expat in Ecuador.  Aside from assisting new arrivals with residency visas, she is a university professor, teaches Ecuadorian kids English in the afternoons*, fund-raises for her mission-work*, and is raising daughters as well.

cccmedia in Quito

*According to La Profesora's website:
ecuadormission.tripod.com

Dorothy,
I am from Mpls., and went through this process some 2 years ago at the consulate in Mpls. As far as your proof of income : If you are using Social Security as your income, all you need do is go to the SS site, print off your statement. .There is a tab for it. If you are getting it from a retirement fund, you will need to contact the administrator for proof of income. You then MUST get it notarized, as it will not have a state or federal seal on it. If you go to the capital in St. Paul, with any document that does not have a seal, you will NOT be able to get it apostilled. Know this: The only document you need translated by the consulate is your proof of income. All other doc's should get translated in Ecuador. When I went through the process some 2 years ago, they accepted a state criminal background check. Very easy... I just went to the BCA in ST. Paul and obtained it in 15 minutes, and I was only 10 minutes from the capital. Now, as you probably know, an FBI report is required. This will be your biggest hold up and most time sensitive issue. The FBI reports are experiencing a back log at this current time. See if you can go on their site and see what the wait time is.
If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to reach out to me.
Best of luck in your process.
Neil
Ps. unless things have drastically changed, don't expect to get results from email correspondence or phone correspondence with the consulate in Mpls. Bring change or a CC. as they don't have parking, so you have to use on street. If you think you're gonna be in there for 15 minutes, plug the meter to the max, cuz there ain't no 15 minute meeting !! Trust me on this.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Now, as you probably know, an FBI report is required. This will be your biggest hold up and most time sensitive issue. The FBI reports are experiencing a back log at this current time. See if you can go on their site and see what the wait time is.

Good "hacks," 'SPIKE. :top:

A way to speed up the FBI background report is to use an FBI channeler.  This is a private company that is authorized by the FBI to provide criminal-background checks such as Ecuador currently requires.

These channelers are located in the Twin Cities, in metro-Cincinnati (where such a company did my report in under one week's time in 2013) and in cities all over the U.S.  Just google:  FBI channelers Minneapolis St. Paul to find multiple channelers in your area, Dorothy.

I received my FBI report via Internet from the channeler.  It was later apostilled by the U.S. State Department in Washington, D.C., to meet Ecuador's requirements.

cccmedia in Quito

Good advise as usual Media.
As I mentioned in my post, the FBI report was not a requirement at my time in the process.
I was thinking with the time frame the lady is dealing with, it wouldn't be that big an issue. That being said, I am also one that takes the least path of resistance, I would probably go with your recommendation were I to do it at this time. The less stress the better, and if I recall, I think the fee is like in the fifty dollar range? Pretty cheap for the peace of mind, especially taking the " time frame " from issuance into consideration.
Good Heads Up !!
Zen

Hi ccMedia,

Being Canadian my requirements are different.  Does anyone from Canada know if I should address the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or some other organization for my federal proof of not being a criminal?

Helen Pivoine

Helen Pivoine wrote:

Hi cccMedia,

Being Canadian my requirements are different.  Does anyone from Canada know if I should address the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or some other organization for my federal proof of not being a criminal?

The website of the Ecuadorian Embassy in Canada says to check for EC residency-visa requirements with the nearest (EC) consulate, as various consulates have different rules.

There may be a consulate in your city, possibly attached to  the Ecuadorian Embassy, that can answer your questions about how to obtain a background check.

Since USA Expats now must submit FBI and state reports, it's conceivable that Canadian Expats would have to submit reports from the Mounties and a provincial authority.

Let us know what you find and what you may still need.

cccmedia in Quito

Just_a_mirage wrote:

Hello. I am a facilitator who helps people obtain visas. I am happy to answer any questions about visa requirements that you might have. The Pension visa is quite easy to obtain. I have lived in Ecuador for many years and am happy to answer any questions you may have about life in Ecuador

Hi, I have all the paperwork I think I need, apostilled, certified etc...I will be at the consulate in Miami for 2 days before my flight to EC hoping to get them to approve or what ever they must do to my SS award letter.  So can they approve my retirement in Miami?  Then when I get to Ecuador I know I have to have all my paperwork translated etc...  So what visa will I get first and how much will it cost either at the consulate or when I arrive in Quinto?
Then once everything is translated how long will it take and what is the Southern most town I can get my 9-I visa at?  Thanks for this information!