A long move to Montevideo Uruguay

Hello all!!! My wife and I are in our early thirties and are currently living in New York City. Due to my freigntening curiosity of other cultures, we are venturing to Montevideo where i will be working for an American investment bank with a small office there. We have two children ages 2 and 4 and plan to enroll them in the International School in Montevideo. This being said we dont have a place to live nor an idea where we should live. Being that we are American and speak Spanish pretty well, we can adapt to almost anywhere, but we will be bringing in a suitable income and can afford to spend up to $6000 USD a month, as my wife will be teaching at the English school. We heard of the Pocitos district but dont know enough about it. Also we are looking for an apartment to rent close to other expats and within walking distance to a synagouge as we are Jewish. Basiclly, we dont know about any of the barrios of Montevideo and would really love to recieve another opinion on this. Thanks

Also, we will be taking advantage of a company condo retreat in Punta del Este for some weekend ventures, so anything we do will need to have some sort of easy parking accesilbility.

Hey,

I recommend looking at Carrasco. The American School is located there and it is arguably the best town in all of Montevideo. You can visit buscandocasas.com or type in "Carrasco Casas para alquilar en Montevideo" into
Google and you'll find some real estate agencies with listings. 

If you need any guidance just call me. I live in Jersey but I've lived I'm Uruguay and visit every year.  My plan is to return within two years.  My cell is 908
868 2178
Or
Email me at [email protected]

You might check here for Jewish info.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/the-jewish … ontevideo/

You can expect to pay a five month deposit for rentals plus one month to the realtor as a commission. Usually there are building costs each month plus utilities. If unfurnished you may also have to buy appliances including hot water tank. Make sure you have heat - many places just have an open fireplace.
Even the high end rentals will probably be below the standard you would be used to.

Hi Blake

I moved to Montevideo from London around 3.5 years ago.  We live in Pocitos, have two little girls (2 and 4) and we are Jewish, so I am familiar with both the neighbourhood, the schools and the synagogues!!

Plus, a bunch of my buddies, here, work at the British School in Carrasco.

Feel free to look me up on FB or mail me at [email protected]

Best wishes
Allister

Hello!
I am Uruguayan and Jewish and live close to Pocitos.
If you need any local info feel free to contact me for advise.
All the best
Mikael

myussim at yahoo.com