Dog Faeces

I understand this may be an issue would anyone care to comment ?

Maybe you can be more specific?

Do people pick up dog logs in Gib ?

It is an annoying point of Gib, there are some lazy gits who probably believe its the Governments job to clean up after their dogs.   The fine now is £250 but has anyone ever seen anyone be fined?  I have seen dogs fowling the paths and responsible owners, usually visitors and ExPats do seem to care.   As for some long term locals???? why they don't care or look after their habitat is a great shame.   Gib in places is a Sh*t Hole and its a huge shame when tourists say this because this has to change.

Hi Andy,

Irresponsible dog owners who don't clean up after their pets are not a problem restricted to Gibraltar by any means. It even happens in so-called DEVELOPED NATIONS all over the world. I'm sure you'll find streets fouled in Scotland and Cyprus too. I know that these lazy and ignorant pet owners are to be found here in Brazil, in my homeland Canada and in the USA too.

Somebody once said, we can't change other people - we can only change the way we deal with them. I think this is quite true. If the problem really bothers you so much the answer is quite simple. Make sure that when you leave home you have a good supply of small plastic bags with you; when you run across one of these idiots then offer them a bag and announce quite loudly.... "Here you go, I know you don't intend to leave that disgusting mess for somebody to step in, now do you?" That should give them the message loud and clear. If it doesn't then nothing will and you're wasting your time and energy in worrying about it.

Also, there are probably many other much more serious issues in life to worry about. I'm soon to be 65-years old; I've stepped in my share of the charming little presents left behind by dogs doing what dogs do naturally. It hasn't killed me yet and I'm sure that the world hasn't stopped spinning on it's axis yet as a result.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

I live in La Linea now and the biggest shock has been when ONE guy cleaned up after his dog. Seriously if you're walking home it's safer walking on the roads than the pavements.

I reply to the expert.

Firstly, this is an ex-pat site, so the comment initially made was about the situation on a small rock in Europe where its hot and in the summer where it does not rain.   Therefore the effluent, which as you say a natural movement for poor little darling, is awful for others to have to tolerate.   

Secondly, your advice to carry bags and educate those that don't care is probably ill advised on an Ex-Pat site as we are seen as outsiders, we are trying to fit in and the last thing you want to do on a small Rock is alienate the local population.   However, you can broadcast the fact on this site and stimulate debate and hopefully the powers at be will start to round up the culprits, after all THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW, a fact the so called EXPERT failed to appreciate.

:)   But what do I know, I'm not a dog owner or an expert, I'm just an Ex-Pat

Interesting comments if GIB wants to raise its profile perhaps this should be looked at just as closely as persecuting people for legally buying tobacco and then travelling to Spain. I know which one seems more anti social to me although I would also happily ban tobacco.

You think Gib has a problem with dog fouling?? Have you ever been to Paris, specifically Notre Dame and the artists quarter? Now THAT'S truly disgusting - dog s*** literally all over every inch of pavement and in the roads. Vile. Gib is spotless in comparison, believe me.

Actually yes but that was many years ago; do the streets now abound with faecal finery ?

Ha ha don't know - haven't been to Paris for years. Hopefully it's better these days.
I walk my dog down at Europa Point when I'm in Gib, and that's pretty clean down there. I see lots of dog owners with little bags clearing up after their pets, so that's good.