Internship

Few days back I had some discussions with friends about possibilities of doing internship here for a few months.

What is your knowledge about it, can foreigners do that ??

If so, what kind of visa would be the right one to apply??

My understanding is that it is actually not possible (paid or unpaid) but I might be wrong....

Anyone has some ideas??

An internship for a foreigner at a commercial business is not going to be favorably viewed by immigration unless it is being done as part of a university study program.

Volunteering at a licensed Yayasan/NGO is another matter, and no problem regardless of the visa.

Thanks your feedback Ubudian.

So it is actually not recommended for a company having a trainee around, it may depends also what exactly they are doing.

Hello Happyhour

Welcome to this site. You will find that more enlightened Western HR managers will jump at the chance to employ someone from a region where work skills and ethical behavior are endemic.

Please tell us how you are getting along. :)

As for Human Resource managers jumping at the chance to hire a hard working German, this depends a great deal on where in Indonesia you are planing on living and working.

Being desirable to "enlightened Western HR managers" is one thing, the ability to be issued a work permit is quite another.  ;)

Indostocks, that is now going out of original topic since the original question was related to internship and the right visa for it no question about employment.

Replies to date:

As for Human Resource managers jumping at the chance to hire a hard working German, this depends a great deal on where in Indonesia you are planing on living and working.(Ubudian)

... Somewhere, I heard that there was a "hard working" German who even established a hotel, restaurant including German bakery on some some islet off Sulawesi. I take it on trust that any trainee, whether local or another foreigner, who works successfully for this business, would be snapped up in a second by any 4 or 5* F&B manager in Jakarta, Bali or more developed jurisdictions in Indonesia. To point out the obvious, HR managers who possess capacities for lateral thinking are going to look for local or ...pace Ubudian...imported candidates who possess skills.

Being desirable to "enlightened Western HR managers" is one thing, the ability to be issued a work permit is quite another.  (Ubudian)

Plus: Promising candidates will always find ways to be able to contribute to Indonesian society through their labour regardless of impediments put in their way by incompetent parasites.

Indostocks, that is now going out of original topic since the original question was related to internship and the right visa for it no question about employment. (happyhour)

Happyhour, I enjoy reading your comments and rejoinders to Ubudian and Mas Fred etc. However, in your missive concerning my comment I really think that you have lived up rather much to your own moniker  :huh: . Internship has nothing to do with employment...puhleeze!

"I take it on trust that any trainee, whether local or another foreigner, who works successfully for this business, would be snapped up in a second by any 4 or 5* F&B manager in Jakarta, Bali or more developed jurisdictions in Indonesia."

Local trainees, sure. Foreign trainees no, not at those basic positions simply because there is enough well trained local staff for F&B positions available most anywhere there is a thriving hospitality industry in Indonesia.  In Bali, you wont find foreigners working as waiters/waitresses, bar tenders or in the kitchen unless that foreigner has an ownership stake (partnership) in the business.

Moreover, a foreign trainee would not be allowed to even train in that establishment unless the internship is part of a college/vocational school/university program. 

"Promising candidates will always find ways to be able to contribute to Indonesian society through their labour regardless of impediments put in their way by incompetent parasites."

If you are suggesting illegal employment, that person had better be aware of the consequences up to 5 years in jail, a fine of $50K US and mandatory/permanent deportation.  Regarding these incompetent parasites if by that you mean the folks who work for the manpower development offices (just guessing), it's their job to protect employment opportunities in Indonesia first for Indonesians.  I personally support that objective wholeheartedly.

I don't really care what you think.... :cheers:

Have no worries happyhour.  His avatar kind of sums it up.   ;)

:lol: ....that's true indeed

Happy Hour, change your advatar to anything else. Its dull. Off topic I know, so be quick before this message is destroyed.....

Luke!  Speaking of avatars...your new one is AWESOME!  GREAT photo! 

Cheers, Roy

Ubudian and happyhour, you really get your knickers in a twist concerning Avatars. You really must be leading interesting lives... :par:

From the looks of your highly distasteful avatar, it would appear that it is you who is leading the interesting life.   :rolleyes:

Not sure whether he has an interesting life at all.... :dumbom:

Not sure I care

Not sure I do either...(ainsi de suite)