Sat Nav

My wife is getting a car and her sense of direction is very poor. Although Bahrain isn't big, she really needs a sat nav to assist her and make her feel more comfortable.

I've never used one so I am totally ignorant on them. Any recommendations?

She prefers one that is very user-friendly and can verbally tell her what turns to prepare for.

Is there an Android app that would be just as good?

Does anyone have a used one for sale?

Thanks.

My husband downloaded an android app called RMaps.  This allowed him to download all the google maps of Bahrain onto his phone and then the app acts as a satnav for us.  It is pretty good and by downloading the maps we don't use any data.  I don't know how much it cost, if anything, but I do know he bought a larger SD card to make sure that it would hold all the data without any issue.

Hope this helps

Sarah

I bought a small Android tablet and I mount it on my car and use Google Maps itself as a GPS as it is always up-to-date and is the most user friendly I've ever come across with. If she has a smart phone with her, she can share its connection with the tablet and use Google Maps. Also, the tablet will allow her to play music through it. You can also connect it to your car's auxiliary port and listen to it through your car's stereo.

If you want a standalone GPS device, Sharaf DG in Bahrain City Centre has plenty of it.

Being electronically-challenged, the tablet method sounds complicated. I'm sure it is not though. But does Google Maps actually have the assistance that a Sat Nav gives (i.e. calculating/recalculating routes and voice instruction)?

In the meantime, I'll check out the RMaps thing.

I get emails from an electronics store in the US that I have bought stuff through for family there. I just got one for an Easter sale. A Garmin that Sharaf DG has here is about BD 30 cheaper there. I wonder if I can buy it online and get it shipped here for less? I think yes, but I waited to the last minute and kind of need it quick so that might not work.

Stakan wrote:

Being electronically-challenged, the tablet method sounds complicated. I'm sure it is not though. But does Google Maps actually have the assistance that a Sat Nav gives (i.e. calculating/recalculating routes and voice instruction)?

Yes it does have all. And since it's online, it can reroute you if the original route has a traffic jam. It's really not complicated as long as your phone can share its connection wirelessly. Or you can get one which has built-in 3G so you won't need your phone for the internet, but that means it's a separate expense (albeit cheap) for the tablet alone.

In addition to Google Maps on a tablet, you can get all other bells and whistles that come with a tablet, such as streaming music or watching something (while not driving of course ;))

I use a Garmin satnav bought from Carrefour and it's brilliant, very easy to use and about BD60 to buy

My wife she is using her phone NAV with the voice direction , but the best GPS is husband ;)

egarti wrote:

My wife she is using her phone NAV with the voice direction , but the best GPS is husband ;)

Agreed.
But while the husband is the best quality GPS, he isn't always the best overall choice. Somehow the wife doesn't always listen to the husband and then she gets mad at him for for getting frustrated by that!

Stakan wrote:
egarti wrote:

Agreed.
But while the husband is the best quality GPS, he isn't always the best overall choice. Somehow the wife doesn't always listen to the husband and then she gets mad at him for for getting frustrated by that!

My wife goes ballistic with me sometimes when we are in the vehicle and she is not even in the drivers seat. :)

Josnuggles wrote:

I use a Garmin satnav bought from Carrefour and it's brilliant, very easy to use and about BD60 to buy

I checked Carrefour today and the only one is stock was BD 130. So I went upstairs to Sharaf DG. They had one for BD 69. However, the guy gave me a little demo and let me play with it. It doesn't work like Google Maps. In Google Maps you can type a name of a place and usually find it. The Garmin required an address.

Jo - is there a way around this with yours? Did the guy at Sharaf just not know how to use it fully and you really can type just a name and find your destination?

As for the phone option - I'm not very good with this stuff. I'm reading on the internet and getting more confused. What is the best way to get your smartphone to act as a Sat Nav with voice instruction? RMaps (mentioned above) doesn't seem to do this. It is just downloaded maps. I would want to set up real time updates like a dedicated sat nav unit would do.

Please consider that you are writing to a 5-year old with any replies. I need it that simple!

Google Maps is your best solution here. It is always up to date as it gets its information from the Internet. As one of the Map editors for Google Maps, I know it is updated several times a day.

You can simply buy a tablet or use your phone for directions by using the dedicated Google Maps application. Both iOS and Android operating systems will do the job for you.