The personality you admire most is ... ?

In the financial markets, special mention

Leo Melamed

There are many great men in the arena of financial speculation.

Leo stands apart.
He is credited for having invented in the 1970's what we call ‘options' today.
In a nutshell, using options can protect your large investment in securities, provided that (I hurry to add) one is not as foolish as to invest all his money leaving him with nothing with which to hedge.

I know private options traders who make a fulltime living out of trading options outright, not for hedging.

Leo had no financial training, yet Destiny chose him to the inventor of something so great that it moves the markets.

He is not mega-wealthy, but country presidents consult him and he has a good life at which most people cannot even dream.

My hat off to you Leo!  :top:

Read the short article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Melamed and perhaps you will understand one great thing.  ;)

stumpy wrote:

Me, myself, my shadow and I, the whole four of us....

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.

There is no harm in discussing the religious personalities int he forum so long we don't hurt others feeling and know where to draw the line.  For example, Mike Hart's placed Prophet Muhammad at number one in his 100 influential persons on earth.

I love Prophets Muhammad, Prophet Jesus, Prophet Abraham and all prophets of God Almighty who taught only good to human-being.

Other than religious personalities, I love and salute every single person, irrespective of race, religion etc, who love and help other fellow-human, help the needy without any expectation and anticipation.

We should try not to hurt anyone even by hard words. This is what is the world I am imaging to live in.

smrkeerai wrote:

There is no harm in discussing the religious personalities int he forum so long we don't hurt others feeling and know where to draw the line.  For example, Mike Hart's placed Prophet Muhammad at number one in his 100 influential persons on earth.

I love Prophets Muhammad, Prophet Jesus, Prophet Abraham and all prophets of God Almighty who taught only good to human-being.

Other than religious personalities, I love and salute every single person, irrespective of race, religion etc, who love and help other fellow-human, help the needy without any expectation and anticipation.

We should try not to hurt anyone even by hard words. This is what is the world I am imaging to live in.

Hello smrkeerai,

This is the reason we don't discuss anything about religion........everybody shows their own way of beliefs and faiths and praises the personality they love and admire and if any discussion arises it hurts the persons those who discuss...

Regards,
Anil

smrkeerai wrote:

There is no harm in discussing the religious personalities int he forum so long we don't hurt others feeling and know where to draw the line.

Correct.
The big trick is - understanding and respecting everyone.

Who do I admire? all those who promote peace and understanding.

aryavrat wrote:
smrkeerai wrote:

Hello smrkeerai,

This is the reason we don't discuss anything about religion........everybody shows their own way of beliefs and faiths and praises the personality they love and admire and if any discussion arises it hurts the persons those who discuss...

Regards,
Anil

Not to say that any discussion can and does lead to insults.  As such, let's eliminate a topic (religion) which is 100% bound to create more animosity than we need here.

Instead of going to church, people would do better to visit the neighbour and help the child with homework.
This very afternoon, a lady sitting next to me told me she goes to church nearby and asked me if I cared to join.  I flatly refused and asked if she ever helped a child in the neighbourhood with his homework.
She smiled stupidly and said "No".

If any forummer has a theological personality, OK, go ahead and post it here.  I, for one, shall not comment on that post.

I already mentioned the Stylites (see post #27 above).

The majority prevails guyz,
If we feel that something might hurt someone's feeling, it is better not to do it.

But my answer to the title "The Personality you admire the most is...?"
1) All the Prophets of God Almighty
2) All the Great leaders those who shaped the world
3) All the Fantastic scholars and scientists
4) All the Good people those who help needy people

Have a wonderful day ahead to all my fellow human being from North American region (it is 10.20am in Toronto/New York - Eastern Standard Time) and others from different parts to have a super duper evenings and nights.

Good Evening and good Night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Multitalent

Grosseteste was "one of the most dazzling minds of his generation, lauded by his successors as a mathematical genius, theologian, politician and church leader; he was the bishop of Lincoln from 1235-53.

How a Medieval Philosopher Dreamed Up the 'Multiverse'
http://news.yahoo.com/medieval-philosop … 48565.html

This goes to show that not everybody who lived in the XIII-th century was smart, the same way not everybody who lives today has any bearing whatsoever on the future.

Be afraid: what you know is little and could be 100% worthless to you, to other people and to the future … Maybe your mind is not blessed like Grossetteste's mind …

good day all..
1- my mother
2-anyone help the humanity in anything .

durust1 wrote:

good day all..
1- my mother
2-anyone help the humanity in anything .

Hi Durust, :)

Why do you think humanity is always hungry for help but in fact cannot help anybody?  :/

The technical writers

I mentioned above just a few of the money managers giants just for forummers to see what could be achieved.

Hardly is there anything somebody who wants to start cyber-investing on his own could learn from any of the multibillionaires in the field of financial industry.

The ones to learn from are those traders and money managers who – even if not billionaires – cared to write about technical analysis.  They are the ones I admire most because of their work for the public and posterity.

Richard D. Wyckoff
A.W. Cohen
Arthur A. Merrill
Gilbert Raff
Joseph Granville
Richard W. Arms, Jr.

Too many to mention.
Those persons interested in learning must search for them on the Net as the first step toward their growth and change.

The great technician writers may have passed away already, yet they left behind something of great value anybody could use: trading wisdom.  Yes, money and high score is good, but knowing how to get to them is even better.  :top:

In the military field

The Spartans for their endurance, special training and (almost) lifelong army service.
Their high-profile commandant was

Epaminondas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epaminondas

Kofi Anan - ex UN General Secretary.......

In political field

Nobody.

People talk and some of them talk big, for one and only one reason: they cannot trade securities online.
If they could, they would talk and act differently.

This is the best words in this thread Sir...........In Political Field ...........No one
I like it........

... but of course his explanation why he says so is predictaby nonsensical.

Personally i don't like politics as well as politicians.....

In artisanship

Watchmakers - a dying art

Clock / watch makers took a serious blow when cheap, plastic watches have been mass produced.
They took a second big blow when cell-phones have been introduced.  Sales of wristwatches dropped dramatically starting a downtrend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker

Only the old Swiss horologists seem to manage for now.  For how long though?
Someone from Diamonds International tempted me with a Longines selling for US$100,000, the most expensive wristwatch in SLU where I live.

Not many people wear expensive watches.  Most wealthy persons buy them more for value preservation than for daily usage.  I believe such toys will slowly vanish because there are better value preservers out there than them.
I can only think at how many years it takes a watchmaker to produce a masterpiece only for the cold fact that it won't sell easily to sink in.

Horology will continue as a profession and atomic clocks will not die anytime soon ...

If there will be a wrist watch with mobile facilities will run more sucessfully............i think samsung has that .....may be i am not sure.............

aryavrat wrote:

If there will be a wrist watch with mobile facilities will run more sucessfully............i think samsung has that .....may be i am not sure.............

http://www.acemprol.com/super-cool-mobi … t2864.html

Cool.....thankx Mal..

"The men people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars;
the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth."
~H.L. Mencken

Those who tell us the truth we try to escape from them when they are alive but after their death we worship them and we pray them..........now we can manupulate their sayings and though they are not there so how one can prove this is right or wrong..........thats the reason .....  "The men people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth."
~H.L. Mencken

Regards,
Anil

In sailing

Columbus

The Americas have been 'discovered' by indo-Asians 20,000 (?) years ago crossing the isthmus which connected Asia to Alaska across the Behring Sea.

The Americas have been 'discovered' again by Vikings (edit added: some 1,500 years ago. Canada has Viking ancient sites proving it).

Neither of these two discoveries meant too much to the world of those times.

Columbus discovered the Americas only when the need to sail far and wide became overpowering.
He got the glory.

No more Americas can now be discovered.  Geographical discoveries of that magnitude are now a closed topic.
One may sail anywhere but he will come back empty (or near empty) handed.

In sailing, special mention

Jimmy Cornell

The Romanian who organized transatlantic sailing events since 1986 for private yachts (race and cruising).

If Columbus sailed the high seas with a handful of ships on behalf of the King of Spain, why should the modern yachters not sail west in as large numbers as voluntarily desired on their own behalf?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_R … r_Cruisers

(Edit added: biographical info about "Jimmy" can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Cornell ".

His own web site is at http://www.cornellsailing.com/about-us/ … y-cornell/ )

In Jobs i like myself not because of getting good jobs and doing well but for loosing jobs and get ditched by the employers......... :D

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR