Be careful from scammers

I have received the below Email one week ago. Thought it honest but it is a scam..

Hello Dear I saw your page from my searching of friends in this https://www.expat.com, i stop to drop you message for i will like to communicate more with you, i hope you don't mind email me to this email address at: [email protected]) so that I will tell you more about me and send my pictures for you to know who I am because friendship is base on truth and trust  I will be waiting for your response to my email inbox, Thanks good friend. Rita

Hi there,
Can you explain a bit more how the scam actually works?

Hi John
Do you honestly does not know?
I saw a past thread talking about it.

The poster mentiond he received emails similar to this one above.
My intention was to warn people from this email if they received it.

Lion R.E wrote:

Hi John
Do you honestly does not know?
I saw a past thread talking about it.

The poster mentiond he received emails similar to this one above.
My intention was to warn people from this email if they received it.

Hi Lion,

1). I know something but I want to know everything.
If I had received a message like that, I would have exchanged a few e-mails to see how bad it gets.
Every time I smell a rat, I want to see how big and close to me it is.

2). Thank you for warning, but remember: the mind of fools is always the greatest source of wisdom.  :D

Welcome John,

Searching for wisdom never ends. Sure your curiosity can't be described as a kind of fool mind.

Actually, I have give it a chance saying it might be true. I replied to the email at its time and received a strange email.  But deep inside I knew it is fake from the beginning.

Too much emails of same type are being roll over and sent to a lot of persons with many different stories. All of them includes high amounts of money, and the owners need you to aid them to get it and in return they give you a portion or percentage of that sums. Asking you a full personal information and transferring money and your bank accounts numbers.

They are sick persons try to steal people's personal information to use it badly or even hurt them.

This lady saying she is hurt and inherited a huge amount of money from her killed father...
... I need you to send me your full name, nationality, phone number, your account number, and to facilitate the process she needs me to transfer some hundred of dollars to help her in the official papers....

So, John have a smart day !! :)

Lion R.E wrote:

.... This lady saying she is hurt and inherited a huge amount of money from her killed father...
... I need you to send me your full name, nationality, phone number, your account number, and to facilitate the process she needs me to transfer some hundred of dollars to help her in the official papers....

So, John have a smart day !! :)

Hi Lion,

In 1993 we in this small island where I live began receiving letters for what was to become the big Nigerian scam later.  There was no Internet here at that time, and flooding mail boxes surely meant somebody spends on postage stamps heavily.
The issue has been debated on local TV and in the media.  Everybody got irritated at what was to become ‘classic spam' later on the Internet.
Not me.

I replied that the offer was an interesting one and that I appreciated dealing with such great amounts of cash (US$20M in 1993 was a lot of money).
I wrote back to the sender that I need US$10,000 to start processing his request and that I shall provide the information he needed upon receipt of that small fee.  What is US$10,000 when you deal with a pile of cash?
Guess what, I never heard from him again, which was my undisclosed goal.  I began receiving less and less mail while others kept getting more and more letters in the mailbox.

The Internet arrived and now it's much easier to send such silly requests, not to say that the cost of Internet connection fee which is a small fraction of postage stamps costs 20 years ago makes it easy and faster for typists to e-mails out.

Yes, I too used to get suspicious Nigerian e-mails in 1996  – 1997 and I replied to many of them by copying and pasting a similar text like the one I used in my past letter with the same gleeful effect that the scam e-mails stopped coming.

I do not get spam since 1999 when I already mustered the knowledge how Internet works and how spam can be avoided.  Since then I never got criminal e-mails anymore. What I get over the past 5-6 years is only one offer for SEO (search engine optimization) services once in 3-4 months because of the special way I handle my e-mail system.
Different from the Nigerian scam e-mails, I do not reply to SEO offers at all and they get deleted automatically.
I appreciate honest work but I still have no use for SEO services.

I still believe that the best way to deal with fools is not to instantly delete their e-mails but rather to beat them with their own weapon and make them waste their time at the smallest amount of wasted time on my part.
Build their hopes high and then drop s**t on them, that's my answer.  :cool:

http://www.419eater.com
Scambaiting - nice hobby, but I don't have time for it.

I moved this post under the new topic 'Be careful of parasites' at https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 53#1740791

Until now I see nothing suspicious.

Sounds like MLM - which we don't allow here (too many issues and abuse from these companies)

Primadonna wrote:

Is the fact that none of them tried to prove me wrong not enough for their threads and posts to be suspicious?  ;)

What exactly do you need to become wary?  :mad:

Julien wrote:

Sounds like MLM - which we don't allow here (too many issues and abuse from these companies)

Hi Julien, :)
You surely can easily delete them, but I suggest you leave them on, add a warning message in a post such as

DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN PLANS LIKE THIS,

and close the topic.

If stupid people want to take advantage of forummers here, we can certainly turn the tables and educate forummers showing them what not to respond to.  :top:

John C. wrote:
Primadonna wrote:

Is the fact that none of them tried to prove me wrong not enough for their threads and posts to be suspicious?  ;)

What exactly do you need to become wary?  :mad:

I try to say that on this moment there are no alarm bells ringing by me.
For me that is a very good indicator.
What I see now is that they opened a thread with their introduction.
I realize that this is the only thing what they have done, even when others replied to them.
Their silence can mean something.
I don't know what  happened behind the scene, that is a task for the team.

I am not interested in making big money so this kind of "offers" is nothing for me.
But I want to thank you for warning us, special for those who have big dreams about how the spend the big money.
It is up to them if they want to get involved in this kind of "business" but not through this blog.

Primadonna wrote:

I try to say that on this moment there are no alarm bells ringing by me.
For me that is a very good indicator.
What I see now is that they opened a thread with their introduction. ............

Hello Primadonna, :)

The perpetrators apologized and promised not to bother us forummers here again.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 30#1741459