New Zealand

If any one is planning a trip to New Zealand or is interested in moving to NZ feel free to contact me with any questions and I will try and answer them.

Or perhaps you could ask one of the many Kiwi's on this site???.  I'm going for a reluctant trip there in March 2014.

NZ is a very beautiful country :))

Hi bernard.uk,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that your post was moved on the New Zealand forum for better visibility.

It would be much appreciated if you could share your experiences and advices by posting them directly on the forum so that the members can also benefit.

Thank you

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hi

How are you.

My name is Sandeep Maan and i am from India

I plan to come to New Zealand on student visa.

The course will be GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (level 7) from Waikato institute of information technology in Hamilton.

I would like to work there after completion of my course as i will be entitled to get a job search visa for 1 year.

Will i get a good job after completion of this course in New Zealand
I am also learning  SAP MM in India.

Please guide me about the job market for IT field in new Zealand.

And also the part time job for students and what are the things to consider before coming to New Zealand and after coming to New Zealand.

wait for your reply

thanking you

Sandeep Maan

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Post your advert in the Housing in New Zealand section.]

Please forgive me because I do not know the etiquette for messaging. I'm new... I saw your post and my wife and I are thinking of moving to Costa Rica, Panama, or New Zealand. Do you have any advise or information that could assist. I guess what I really asking is how is the life in NZ. I'm looking for an affordable place to retire. I  don't know much about the land or even the places to move. I only speak English is that a problem? LoL  I'll quit
Thanks

sandeepmaan. 

Regarding work you could contact the Institute to see if they know of anything, or check out www.seek.co.nz

jadeB

You could check out www.numbeo.com which will give you cost of living and other information for many countries around the world.

jadeB wrote:

Please forgive me because I do not know the etiquette for messaging. I'm new... I saw your post and my wife and I are thinking of moving to Costa Rica, Panama, or New Zealand. Do you have any advise or information that could assist. I guess what I really asking is how is the life in NZ. I'm looking for an affordable place to retire. I  don't know much about the land or even the places to move. I only speak English is that a problem? LoL  I'll quit
Thanks

Look the NZ immigration website, it will inform of everything you need to know,  just like most countries, you can't just pick and choose where you want to live, ( unless you are Muslim with plenty of money and like traveling by boat ), you will have to meet some sort of criteria.
  PS,  NZ is an expensive place to live, ( having a little Pacific Isl/Maori blood will ease this ),  just ask the 100,000s of Kiwi's that live in Aussie.

Why reluctant to visit NZ ?

Why do you say NZ is expensive ? Compared to where ?

bernard.uk wrote:

Why reluctant to visit NZ ?

Why do you say NZ is expensive ? Compared to where ?

Mainly because of the hassles of getting there, trying to get connecting flights, etc, ( I'm over sitting at Airports waiting, always more time waiting than flying ).
   Try comparing NZ prices to VN, etc.
Why do you think there are 100,000s of Kiwi's living in OZ, it's not only the climate.  Only problem is that Oz stopped PR for Kiwi's back in 2001, no PR , no Citizenship, ( or PR ),  then no access to many benefits, including Govt employment. ( this is why I live in VN now ).  Retirement age will soon be 67, ( same as OZ ). What I don't understand is WHY the $NZ is so high at the moment, practically no manufacturing is done there anymore, very few resources, ( no oil anymore, but that was only about 60 barrels a day ), my elderly parents , and other family members still keep me up to date, ( plus Yahoo NZ ).

Hi thanks for the reply, interesting.

I wonder why 200,000 Aussies & 50,000 Kiwis live in the UK.

On a positive note NZ is one of the safest if not the safest country in the world to live.

It is fair & safe society for a family's to live & prosper.

NZ offers stunning countryside and coastline, a healthy climate and the freedom for all to enjoy it.

Stable and corruption free government & police force.

A good medical & education system that is virtually free.

NZ is virtually disease free.

Unemployment remains low and employment & business opportunities are still good.

Whilst house prices have increased interest rates are quite low.

NZ is consistently found to be one of the top 3 places in the world to live.

NZ is the largest dairy producer in the world worth $20 billion a year and its exports to Asia are growing. It has the best education system of any English speaking country which is worth more than $2.5 billion a year.

I would say the reason the NZ$ stays strong is because of good governance, a well educated & flexible workforce and the great potential of Asia.

No country is perfect but NZ ticks a lot of boxes.

Take a look at school fees in Vietnam for English schools, US$1,000 to US2,000 a month scary. Compare Vietnam house prices with Thailand, Vietnam looks expensive.

Enjoy your trip.

Kind regards
Bernard.

bernard.uk wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply, interesting.

I wonder why 200,000 Aussies & 50,000 Kiwis live in the UK.

On a positive note NZ is one of the safest if not the safest country in the world to live.

It is fair & safe society for a family's to live & prosper.

NZ offers stunning countryside and coastline, a healthy climate and the freedom for all to enjoy it.

Stable and corruption free government & police force.

A good medical & education system that is virtually free.

NZ is virtually disease free.

Unemployment remains low and employment & business opportunities are still good.

Whilst house prices have increased interest rates are quite low.

NZ is consistently found to be one of the top 3 places in the world to live.

NZ is the largest dairy producer in the world worth $20 billion a year and its exports to Asia are growing. It has the best education system of any English speaking country which is worth more than $2.5 billion a year.

I would say the reason the NZ$ stays strong is because of good governance, a well educated & flexible workforce and the great potential of Asia.

No country is perfect but NZ ticks a lot of boxes.

Take a look at school fees in Vietnam for English schools, US$1,000 to US2,000 a month scary. Compare Vietnam house prices with Thailand, Vietnam looks expensive.

Enjoy your trip.

Kind regards
Bernard.

Safe?, depending on where you live in NZ, there are many gangs, ( the Police only carry guns on ' special ' occasions ), a lot of racial tension you will never read about, ( actually reverse racism ), if the Maori had their way, you would have to pay them first, to go to any sea side, breathe the air and drink the water, etc, etc, the employment rate is low?????, one of many reason why NZers go to OZ, not just the higher minimum wage, and 9% weekly compulsory Employer Super contribution, and penal rates, Housing interest rates are much lower in OZ, the medical system is ok , if you are young or in the workforce, your waiting time for an op, etc, will only be a few days/ weeks, but if your old, you can wait months, ( I think they hope you will die first ),  I always say , NZ is a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there, ( unless of course you are a Doctor, or similar ).

If you want to check out the cost of living in NZ www.numbeo.com
As an ex Kiwi myself,I agree with bluenz's last post.

WOW you really don't like New Zealand.

I have lived & worked in the UK, Middle East, SEA, USA & NZ

I have dual nationality British & New Zealand. I spent 10 years in the Bay of Islands and 2 years in Auckland. During that time I sailed round NZ, rode round it on my motorbike, and drove round in a car a couple of times. I have visited every city & town worth mentioning.

I built a backpackers, an apartment building, a couple of small houses, a couple of waterfront homes, sub-divided some land, bought an immigration business and helped several hundred family's migrate to NZ and I have never meet anyone with such a negative attitude about the country.

Yes there are some gangs, however, if you are not involved in illegal activity in my experience you are unlikely to come across them. This is much the same with any criminal element in any western country.

I found the medical system to be excellent.

I like Australia, however, housing is not cheap in Sydney or Perth.

It seems your experience and mine are very different. With all due respect could yours be a little out of date ?

Lets agree to disagree.

How are you enjoying Vietnam ?

Bernard.

bernard.uk wrote:

WOW you really don't like New Zealand.

I have lived & worked in the UK, Middle East, SEA, USA & NZ

I have dual nationality British & New Zealand. I spent 10 years in the Bay of Islands and 2 years in Auckland. During that time I sailed round NZ, rode round it on my motorbike, and drove round in a car a couple of times. I have visited every city & town worth mentioning.

I built a backpackers, an apartment building, a couple of small houses, a couple of waterfront homes, sub-divided some land, bought an immigration business and helped several hundred family's migrate to NZ and I have never meet anyone with such a negative attitude about the country.

Yes there are some gangs, however, if you are not involved in illegal activity in my experience you are unlikely to come across them. This is much the same with any criminal element in any western country.

I found the medical system to be excellent.

I like Australia, however, housing is not cheap in Sydney or Perth.

It seems your experience and mine are very different. With all due respect could yours be a little out of date ?

Lets agree to disagree.

How are you enjoying Vietnam ?

Bernard.

Yes I would say my world and yours are very different,yours sounds like you are fairly well off,( above middle income, they don't need to leave NZ, as life's pretty good for them ).
  Ask most of the Kiwis in OZ what they think of NZ, ( otherwise why would they still be in OZ? )
  My problem was going back there in 1992 , ( after nearly 10 yrs in OZ ), I felt like a Foreigner in my  own country, so many things had changed, ( for Pakeha's mainly, which is actually an insulting name for a Whiteman ).  Housing in Akld, and most NZ cities has skyrocketed, rates are huge compared to OZ.
  Have you been to Papakura?, etc, murders every week there, when I lived close to there in 2003, every night the police chopper would be overhead.
Adelaide is a much safer place, with over a million people, maybe cops having guns does work.
  Gangs don't just stay in one place, you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, anywhere, and get assaulted by one these cowards. ( different story when its one on one, believe me ).
  By the time my father had his Hernia op a few years back, he was up for a double hernia , ( I still picture him in agony lying on the floor trying to get his trousers on ), he can tell you of many others that have gone through the same misery, maybe with many more Kiwi's moving to OZ in the last decade , the waiting lists have dropped, but with the influx of Islander and their ' special ' health requirements , I can't see that ever happening.
  I returned to Oz in 2003, ( only because I would have lost too much money on my 2 properties in Dunedin ), and never looked back, pick of jobs, plenty of affordable housing and no reverse racism. And Medicare, ( Bulk Billing = free Doctor visit ).
  Most Kiwi's I know are only still in NZ because of family, etc.
Nearly every one from my school days is in Oz.
   Now I've been in VN for 3 yrs, I know it is pointless to complain about the way of life here, ( but it's good to vent and compare experiences with other Foreigners, who mostly think the same ), I've learned to laugh at the crazy things they do and their way of life.

I know what you mean about Vietnam, I have been in and out for the last 4 years. My son is married to a Vietnamese girl he meet at Auckland Uni and they now have 2 children. I have been going out with a Vietnamese lady for the last 8 months so still getting to know Vietnam and far from understanding it. I am enjoying the cultural shock most of the time but find I need to escape quite often. Lets have a beer sometime. All the best Bernard

@bernard.uk

I don't dislike NZ at all. It is my country of birth and I always tell friends it is a great place to visit. But forget a good well paying job there.

I have lived and worked my way around the world for many years now and still enjoy a trip home to NZ to visit my elderly dad and the odd friend.

I have dual NZ / OZ citizenship and a house in OZ but choose to live in Laos where I have a wife and family.

And again I agree with the last post from bluenz.

I'm just getting older and looking to an inexpensive safe place to retire (suggestions welcome) NZ looked good on paper.

Hi!... iŽm planning to travel to new zealand next year and i have a lot of questions. When could you log in to chat?. Thanks

jadeB

NZ is not cheap to live in. www.numbeo.com will give you cost of living and other information.

A great country to visit. Have you given any thought to an Asian country.

Cambodia is reasonably cheap and visas are not a hassle at all. Check out the Cambodia forum on this website.Or alternatively a South American country. Just check them out on this forum.

Try me on Skype after 15th November in Singapore until then.

Best regards

Bernard

Hola: saludos nata88; feliz año nuevo ...... No dude en preguntar cualquier cosa es posible que necesite saber sobre Nueva Zelanda y tendré el honor de ayudar a todos ustedes la información en cuanto a sus necesidades y consultas. Saludos ........ tienen un hermoso día

Rev2014
As this is an Anglophone forum could you please post in English so that everyone can understand your post and offer information or assistance. Thank you.

It is mainly housing that is expensive in NZ. Similar cost of living as California or Hawaii. Also much safer here than in America. Kids walk or ride their bikes to school without fear of abduction or getting shot. People sleep with the windows open at night. Of course their is some crime here in NZ and prudence pays off. ( I wouldn't go jogging alone at night)

New Zealand is lovely but hardly inexpensive. Cost of living is similar to California or Hawaii

prettywitty wrote:

It is mainly housing that is expensive in NZ. Similar cost of living as California or Hawaii. Also much safer here than in America. Kids walk or ride their bikes to school without fear of abduction or getting shot. People sleep with the windows open at night. Of course their is some crime here in NZ and prudence pays off. ( I wouldn't go jogging alone at night)

Never been near Papakura or Manurewa have we????? The police helicopter keeps people awake at night. Even down south, we locked our doors and windows after the 70's.  Shooting's are common, even with very strict gun laws, I'm always reading/hearing about murders, ( recently overseas students and tourists ), for the population size , it's probably not much different than the States.

Never been near Papakura or Manurewa have we????? The police helicopter keeps people awake at night. Even down south, we locked our doors and windows after the 70's.  Shooting's are common, even with very strict gun laws, I'm always reading/hearing about murders, ( recently overseas students and tourists ), for the population size , it's probably not much different than the States.

No I have probably never been in the towns you are speaking of. It sounds like downtown Kansas City Missouri there. I live and work in the CBD/ North Shore areas. Why doesn't the news report it then? Like I said it is not crime free but I only hear of 2 or 3 murders a year nation wide and perhaps 1 or 2 abductions a year. In the states we have shootings and murders on a daily basis nationally and several times a month in the state I am from which is really quite low compared to most states.  Thanks for the tip though. I will stay clear of the areas you speak of.

bernard.uk wrote:

If any one is planning a trip to New Zealand or is interested in moving to NZ feel free to contact me with any questions and I will try and answer them.

Hi,

I am a 31 years old Lebanese citizen, I occupy the position of factory manager in a furniture factory in Lebanon which is a very nice country with plenty of internal and external political and religious issues affecting the lifestyle and the progress potential of almost all of its young people. I was always fascinated by everything about New Zealand and would be a proud and happy person if I could make it my home.

I need to know about any firm/person that can help me get a job or give me the best approach in order to facilitate my relocation to NZ.

Many thanks in advance.

bdouaidy wrote:
bernard.uk wrote:

Hi,

I am a 31 years old Lebanese citizen, I occupy the position of factory manager in a furniture factory in Lebanon which is a very nice country with plenty of internal and external political and religious issues affecting the lifestyle and the progress potential of almost all of its young people. I was always fascinated by everything about New Zealand and would be a proud and happy person if I could make it my home.

I need to know about any firm/person that can help me get a job or give me the best approach in order to facilitate my relocation to NZ.

Many thanks in advance.

You first need to find out if you qualify for a visa. www.immigration.govt.nz  for visa information and applications