Living in Durban

You are an expatriate living in Durban, or you used to  work and live in Durban.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Durban?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Durban?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Durban?

Thanks in advance for your participation

I'm not sure whether anyone views/replies to these forums but I'm hoping for a bit of advice?

My name is Martyn and I currently live in the UK but I'm considering a great job opportunity in Durban.
However I've read a few stories on the web about violence over there.  Before I emigrate I need to ensure I'm not moving into an area where I will feel like a prisoner in my own home.

Does anyone reading this currently live in Durban?  Do you have some personal experience of living here?  Can you offer any advice?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Martyn

It's quite safe, You just need to know which area's are suitable to go into.  contact me if you need more info

Durban is a great place to live... the city can be a bit dangerous at night, if you are concerned about safety.... best to stay in Durban North,  I stayed near Virginia airport which I was working at, at the time, enjoyed it... but had to move back to the UK to go back to my old job as I simply ran out of cash, please message me with any particular questions and I will answer them best I can..

cheers 

dave

Hi,

Durban is a great city with a fantastic climate... in fact, Durban doesn't know the meaning of 'winter'. :lol:
I was chatting to a guy the other day who said he was surfing in shorts in June (middle winter).

Like Davey said, the city centre, at night, should be avoided, and certain areas are better than others.

Have a look here at a Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.za/) Street view to get an idea of what it looks like. :)

Durban is the great place to be, and weather-wise, probably, the best place in Souh Africa.  Security-wise it's also, apparently, better han a lot of places, Johannesburg for example. But if you don't have a car, you are bound to be feeling like a prisoner in your own home, I lived like that for the first year after I came here and, boy, was it horrible. I've had my licnese for a year now and every time I drive, I still feel happy that I have my freedom back. It's especially back if you come from Europe or, in my case, Russia, where you used to the fact that you can go wherever you like whenever you like.