Notice to all expats

[Moderated: 3-letter name towing company]

Towing 200 metres costs Rs 1000.

You'll first be told it will cost Rs 500 to tow it back to your place then the guy will change his mind and quote Rs 1000 for every 200 metres. So that's 5k to the kilometre.

From Quatre bornes, where I had a flat that could not be changed as the tool to release the spare wheel was missing, to Floreal where I'm living, that would have cost Rs75k (roughly 15km distance)

As the breakdown happened on a single carriage one way street, I had no other choice than to accept the charge to tow it out of that street so as not to block the traffic. So yes, around 200 metres towing was charged at Rs 1000.

To add insult to injury, the tow truck driver swiped a bunch of tarpaulin on the back of the bed (Isuzu Dmax) and calmly walked to his truck, while I had clear view of him :/
Had to point it out to him and his reaction was to grin like an absolute idiot and put it back.

So on top of quoting ridiculous rates, he's a thief as well.

Called in three different mechanics who came and none were able to release the spare wheel. 
Eventually, another Isuzu Dmax passed by and I stopped the car to ask the driver if he could lend me the tool to release the spare wheel. The chap was really nice and insisted on doing it himself and changed the wheel for me.

When I got home, I noticed that the only thing the tow truck guy gave me was a vehicle reception check list. No receipt for the payment. Nice!

So guys, stay well clear of [Moderated: 3-letter name towing company].

I'll ring their office up tomorrow and see if I can get hold of the director to see what's his take on this matter.

A list of scammy and dodgy local companies will be useful. I think I'll start one.

Spangles!

Thank you for sharing your experience.  It is very helpful. :top:

Estherkw wrote:

Thank you for sharing your experience.  It is very helpful. :top:

Hello Estherkw!
Glad my little adventure today is useful to you :)
Don't hesitate to share any mishaps with local companies.
It will be more than useful to all of us so that we don't fuel those dodgy companies and avoid falling for the same scams.

Hi
What a bad experience you had with [Moderated: 3-letter name towing company].
I have to say I have had fantastic customer care with them for the last 14 years.
They turn out for any breakdown within 30 mins usually.
They towed our vehicle on one occasion at 11.30 pm.
The best thing is the cost as it is only R900 for a years membership which includes 5 breakdown vists and some discounts on products.

maurilady wrote:

Hi
What a bad experience you had with [Moderated: 3-letter name towing company].
I have to say I have had fantastic customer care with them for the last 14 years.
They turn out for any breakdown within 30 mins usually.
They towed our vehicle on one occasion at 11.30 pm.
The best thing is the cost as it is only R900 for a years membership which includes 5 breakdown vists and some discounts on products.

Glad you had a nice experience with them for the last 14 years...I hope you did not buy a vehicle in such a bad shape you needed their services that often for the last 14 years?

Towing at 11.30pm or 3 am...if that's what your membership fee is for well hey I guess that's what is expected as standard right?

Good thing they turn up within 30 mins. Any longer and I'm pretty sure the driver would end up past the coral reef, if you get my drift (no pun intended)

In any case, a company is as good as the worst service it provides.

Spangles!

We have used them for different vehicles and maybe called them out 3 or 4 times.
I suppose its the equivalent of the British AA.(Mauritian style ha ha)
Did you complain to the head office?

Hello all,

Just to inform you that some Insurance Co's provide towing facilities together with the car insurance that you bought and you just have to call the provider and they need to come without any charge...

Hope this may help in the future..

Bernard.

spangles wrote:

[Moderated: 3-letter name towing company]

Towing 200 metres costs Rs 1000.

You'll first be told it will cost Rs 500 to tow it back to your place then the guy will change his mind and quote Rs 1000 for every 200 metres. So that's 5k to the kilometre.

That is utter BS and they know it. You really don't have to cope with this shit.

I would have just refused to pay and tell them to go to court, especially since they gave you a different quote to start with. In fact I might have threatened to file a complaint with the police myself.

Same kind of dispute happened recently to me with a scummy, sleazy taxi driver type. You know, the kind that wants you to "start some business" with them, who asks if you need some prostitutes, and who brags about having some family in the government.

Normally drive from the airport to la gaulette is maximum Rs 1,500. I payed taxi for an american friend who came to visit on holidays. But this guy wanted Rs 2,500! WTF? I take this airport -> la gaulette ride and nobody ever tried to charge more than 1,500.

Just because my buddy is American he thought it's ok to slap a $100 fare for this ride. I gave him Rs 1,500 anyways which he was very unhappy about. He phoned his bossed and I told him that I wouldn't take any of this abuse, that he would have to file a complaint with the police, and that we'd need to take this to the court.

Some insults followed from his side, to which I replied "this is how things are now, if you are not happy, let's go to the court".

No news since.