Personalised Car license plates

Dear All

I had heard a few years ago in the 2013 budget speech that -

"A Personalised Registration Mark scheme will be introduced whereby a vehicle owner will be given possibility to purchase a personalized alpha numeric plate consisting of up to 6 letters and a maximum of two numbers for a fee of Rs 100,000".

Any idea if this has been implemented yet?
I am yet to see cars with customised plates around.

Hi,
This has been materialised and I personally know 2 persons in Mauritius having personalised number plates..

I haven't seen any !  Curious to know which numbers they have  :-)

Nadeem wrote:

I haven't seen any !  Curious to know which numbers they have  :-)

"666" or "7M woman"

Just  kidding - out of here  :D

A lucky person and I think he got his number long before this legislation, is a taxi Driver in the Flic-En-Flac area.

He simply has the registration number for his vehicle as  '1'

The numeric numbers were once the only personalised options. you could buy it for Rs10 k. The number 1 was on a Morris Minor and I believe it was the real number. the guy used to tie the car to an electric pole.... :-) .

Yes I have seen that taxi with the number 1 quite a few times over the last few years in the curepipe region. Initially he had it on a black proton. Recently I've seen it on a Toyota Premio, if I'm not wrong.

But none of the customised plates with names, etc seen yet.

Although most of the mauritians I know are very practical and grounded people, I refuse to believe that this scheme, if in use, didn't attract anyone who wants to show off their wealth..

Quite a few people are wealthy around here these days  :par:

Am searching a plate number (MK 1808) and the cost of it.

I4ve seen I think a car with AMIT-01 on it. If you are searchig for a number plate, you can go on the NTA website and find if the number is available. I don't think MK will go because 2 letters stop at FZ I believe. You would have either M or K not both.