Moving to Jo'burg with older kids for July and August

I'll be in Jo'burg for July and August with my 3 children. (10, 13,14). My husband will be working. Is it worth getting house with pool or will it be too cold, even if heated? Could kids join local rugby club? (they play at home). Would ideally like to live in safe area (parkhurst looks nice), but where I could walk into "village' for a coffee or browse in vintage/book shops. Also would like to be near a tennis/pool club to do something with kids during the day or will go mad from boredom. Where best to meet expats with kids the same age?

Hello Ceppy.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll be advised by other members soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hallo
I just got back in Europe after living in Joburg for 9 month.
I lived in Sandton. I learned there that walking on the streets in not as normal as it is in Europe. If you want to walk, only during the day and you have to know the way.
I think you'll live in a boomed area or an estate. Almost al these places have a pool, some of them even got a tenniscourt. If you got all this is your estate, your kids can even walk there on their own.
I don't know where you come from, but august and July are not really the month you want to go swimming. The people from Africa even think it's freezing when it is 15 degrees. And after a few weeks you are cold yourself.

I loved living in Africa and miss it a lot!
Go and enjoy your time there!

You must have a car so you can travel where ever you want. Nice things to do with you kids:
Lesedi cultural village, goldreaf city, steamtrain, horse riding near hartbeesportdam, apartheidsmuseum, zoo, pilaansberg, lionspark or lion and rinopark, going to a township with a guide.

I volunteerd at a very nice orphanage, you could go there like ones a week with your kids? if you would like that, send me a message and I'll give you more information.

Enjoy your time there!

regards
Mirjam

Hi mirjam, thank you for replying. I'm coming from Ireland - we sit  outside even if there's a hint of sun, which is not very often. Hope more for a heated pool though.  Parkhurst looks quite expensive. Have started looking in rosepark and other nearby areas. Can you recommend any in particular preferably with walking distance of street side coffee shops, little books and vintage shops? Ive read a lot of restaurants are in big malls - not my cup of tea! Also I would like to be near a  tennis club/pool/sports complex for the kids. Really interested in your orphanage work. Where do I enquire about this?