Internet restrictions?

We'll be moving to Jubail by the end of the year.  I have an adult son that will be coming with us.  He has Asperger's Syndrome, which is on the autism spectrum, so socialization is difficult for him.  To re-charge, he spends time online, doing gaming and role-playing.  He's concerned because he's heard that there are a lot of restrictions on the internet in Saudi.  Can someone expound on that for me?  Is it just information (news, etc.) that is restricted, or is online gaming through game systems (like the PS3) or internet-based gaming platforms like Steam also restricted?

Thank you so much for any information you can give me!!  With autistic people, knowing as much as they can as far in advance as possible helps them to cope.

-Rose

Gaming is no problem.

Its only adult sites which are blocked

Anything he could want to get to will be accessible. If you wish to make him more comfortable by allowing access to sites such as HULU you will need to sign up for a VPN (such as Witopia). I have HFA so I wish y'all the best!

Thank you both so much!!  What is a VPN and HFA?

texas rose wrote:

Thank you both so much!!  What is a VPN and HFA?

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network.  Here is a link to some information regarding VPNs.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

In the context of what you mentioned regarding your son's condition, I am thinking that HFA stands for high functioning autism.

In much simpler words (and in the context of this post), VPN is a service that when used makes your computer located virtually in a country other than the actual one. So, all locally applied restrictions does NOT apply.

You folks rock!!!  I totally should have caught the HFA reference.  lol!

get a vpn and you just use trg internet snd sign on us server. you can get everyghing like in the USA