Virgin visit to Chiang Mai

Good day people!

I'm new to this forum, this is my 1st post. My name is Jay, 24 years old, Chinese, and I'm a civil servant for Singapore. Hope I don't get busted out here for being a Yellow. Haha :P

I have been to Thailand twice, for the past 2 years. I've been to Bangkok and Phuket. Traveling there has made me fell head over heels with the kingdom :cool: . So much so that I have decided to retire in my late years in future. Singapore is just wayyyyy too stressful to retire there.

Coming this April 2013, will be my 3rd visit to the Kingdom. I'll be heading to Chiang Mai. I heard that Chiang Mai host the most fun and crazy Songkran. As a vivid lover of Thailand, I wana experience the craziness of Songkran in Chiang Mai personally. I'll be going with another Indian friend as well. We do not have any Thai friends to show us around :(

We hope to receive some tips from you guys here, about the experience of Songkran, retail hours during Songkran, entertainment/ shopping outlet during Songkran. I wish to know if most of the shops of Chiang Mai will be closed for how many days as I will be staying for a week. I wanna make full use of my stay there, not forgetting the nightspots as well.

Hopefully we can make some Thai friends and of course, you expats as well. See you at Songkran 2013 at Chiang Mai! :D

Hello Jay.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

Hope other members will give you some advices soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello Aurélie

Thank you. Hope to hear from someone soon :)

Welcome notyourexpat and No one's racist here, not that I know of. Thailand's New Year surely is approaching soon. I have spent a few years back in Bangkok and know of the festival pretty well. Just be sure to expect lots of water and chalk, and a huge load of traffic jam!! :)  But, i am sure you will enjoy the festival and so, สวัสดีปีใหม่

Hey thanks Benjaminvasosky.

songkran starts on 13th april if im not wrong, i heard that chiangmai actually will start to splash as early as 10th april. if that really happens, i'll be expecting a massive jam from airport to my hotel.

hope that will not happen!

Hi
first advice is to booked your hotel now before it too late.. i was there last year during Sonkaran.. it was grate fun.. some shops were closed during that time , but u can find your food easily. Don't worry about that. be ready to get wet during 3 days.. lot of people both local and foreigners .. i am sure you will have a grate fun .. i will be there to with my friends .. have a nice trip..

Lasan

Good day Lasan!

I have already booked a hotel. I'll be living in the heart of the city. I am expecting to get real wet in the first 3 days. But I hope I can still manage to get around without being too wet from the 4th day onwards though..

I am kinda worried that the shopping malls/ sites will be closed for the entire week. I cant imagine not being able to shop when i'm in Thailand. Thailand's such a shopping paradise!

And, I do not have any Thai friends over at Chiang Mai. I cant speak Thai really well, I only know the basics. Are you Thai? Will you be able to show me around if you are a local staying there?

Hi
i am not a Thai but i understand little bit of Thai . you will find lot of Thai friends here who can show you whole city. let me know if you need any help in this regard. i know few Thai people who can speak good English
. i am from Sri Lanka and working here almost 2 years now. i am sorry that i can not remember that big shopping malls were open during those days. i am sure on 4th day most of the places will open and u can do some shopping.

Keep in touch

Lasan

Hi Lasan.

I will PM you again if i need any help. Thank you for all the information!!