2 Months in Chiang Mai

Hello everyone

I have posted many times here and love this site, as it has helped me many times on answers I need on my future quest to retire to Chiang Mai (end 2014)...thank you to you all

In November this year I hope to visit Thailand for about 2 months. The idea is to live as much like I would when I retire, so to give me a better idea of what it will be like, rather than do the touristy thing.

What I am asking is, I was going to originally plan to spend the whole 2 months in Chiang Mai, probably the 1st week in a B&B (use one I have stayed in before) then stay in a rented apartment, probably Riverside or something similar. Does anyone have any advice in relation to me doing anything different to this? I will eat as per retirement, which is street Thai food all the time (already visited 22 times, so not first visit).

Many thanks

Howie

Have you visited anywhere other than CM in your 22 visits? If you want some options it would be good to know where else you have been in Thailand. Saves writing stuff you already know :)

November is the peak of the tourist season, and I would be skeptical an apartment will rent to you for such a short period.
It's been my experience most apartments have a six-month or one-year lease.

~

There are some very good 'serviced apartments' in Chiang Mai that I suggest would work better.

You need to book well in advance of your arrival.

jon

I have visited Bangkok everytime (mainly due to the fact the flight came into Bangkok)and I do love Bangkok. Also stayed in Pattaya several times (in my early years). Also stayed in Chiang Rai. In Issan I have stayed in Lahan Sai (Sth of Buriram). Also Visited Krabi twice.

I am sure that Chiang mai will be my chosen retirement destination, however just wondered if anyone had any ideas, not particularly on a destination, but more of how I could spend my 2 months from this November in Chiang Mai to get a flavour of retirement.

However if I was to spend only 1 month in Chiang Mai, I could spend the other month, yes, in another location to test it out, so any ideas would be most helpful.

Thank you

Howie

Howie 2

Seattle 99 makes a good point about somewhere to stay.  Another option would be getting a monthly rate at a nice guesthouse.

Sounds like you are sold on CM, but you might like to explore the East Coast along the Gulf of Thailand Hua Hin south to Chumphon. Some really nice beaches and very laid back.

You made me smile with saying "to get a flavour of retirement." I guess retirement can be whatever you chose to make it.  But I will say one thing, you do need something to do, a hobby or similar because you will have plenty of time on your hands.

A lot of retiree expats fail because they get bored or worse they spend their days boozing and the like.

I agree

I am starting already with my hobby list. Doing a blog, touring around Chiang Mai, language school, art class and eating lovely Thai street food...just to name a few.

ooohhh and not having to get up at 6am every morning!!

Howie

howie2 wrote:

I agree

I am starting already with my hobby list. Doing a blog, touring around Chiang Mai, language school, art class and eating lovely Thai street food...just to name a few.

Howie

Glad to hear you are planning things in advance, definetly a good idea. 

Do you run a blog already?

I have 5 web sites that keep me busy but they focus on the things I like doing so maintaining them is fairly easy.

Tread carefully on the language school front, there are a few that like your money but don't give much in return. Also avoid the ED visa route if you can.

Watch the Thai food too......it can help you put on a few pounds :) mind you I can think of worse way to get fat!

I don't know what you do for fitness but its a good idea to inlude that in your plans. I cycle for my daily dose of "fun." Bikes are cheap enough here unless you want an expensive import and although I haven't cycled in CM I have visited a few times. It looks like you could cycle around a fair bit if you avoid the traffic hotspots.

Hi Howie2,

I have apartment available now for NOV-DEC.

Living in Chiang Mai > housing section please (or you'll get moderated)

thanks julien

Hope you have better luck then me then !!!

I still wake up 05:30-06:30 every day here in Thailand, after i Early retirement, Think my body do it Automatic, as that the time i "normal" get up back home when i was working.. :P

Not sure if your up to it, but there is a lot of small town/city a few km outside CM, IF you want to see something else..
I know some people start living in CM, move outside after X years, only a information IF you want to check it out, In the small town/city outside, you NEED some Thai or someone with you that speak Thai, must people there donŽt speak English, so i am not sure if that be a problem for you..

I donŽt think it is good to rent "long" time when you go there (CM or a city outside), IF your not sure where you want to live when you move there, Then i think it is better for you to stay 1-2 week in this area, then 1-2 in that area and so on, so you can "test" the area you want to check out, sure it cost a few baht more, but to stay and live in the area you want when you move here, is better (i think) then only go and see the area...

DonŽt know if you NEED the ED-Visa when you move here, if you do go out and check some of the language school for the free lesson....To give you a idea about the school...

If you can get you Visa from other way, like Married or retirement when you move here, i say forget about the ED-Visa language school...

If you want to learn Thai, contact the student on some of the university , and have some of them teach you, many want to teach you Thai, if you same time help them on English, only going to cost you some time, maybe a meal, water now and then, As in CM many young Thai really like to teach/learn with Fa-Rang.... 

Other then that, i hope all work out for you, so you soon here in Thailand to relax and stay for LONG time....

Thank you 'never done that'

All what you have said makes very good sense. I will try what you advise regarding the condo rental. When I visit this december for approx 5-6 weeks in Ching Mai (plus 2 weeks Bangkok/Chiang Rai) I will stay in a B&B for a week and take another look at aeras I think I wmay like to live, then rent an apartment for a month.

Then when I retire (hopefully) at the end of 2014, I will again try different areas until I find one to settle in for a year or so.

I will also try the Thai language idea you have given me, to try and find a student that wishes to help me.

Many many thanks

Howie

Hey Howie,

I am going to semi retire there too. My new bride Juli and I plan to be in Chiang Mai in December. Would love to hear from you on places to live short term. We will be moving further north for a few months while I get certified to teach English. And then back to Chiang Mai.  All of this after we get married in Hawaii in Oct.  I was hoping to get some direction from you since you have been researching this for a while

Thanks
Tony

Tony

I have been researching for a while, and have visited Thailand about 24 times, but certainly aren't (and never will be, an expert). However if I can help that little bit I will try. All I did (because for me the fun bit is the research and finding a place to stay) was initially go on Tripadvisor. I know some people don't like it, but for me it has always been very accurate. I wanted somewhere central, basically not too expensive, not because I am stingy, but because when I stay somewhere I wish it to reflect the country I am staying and were I can be myself.
I stayed in Bangkok once in a posh hotel and could have been anywhere, as they all look the same, since then I stay in more basic Thai like lodgings.
The last few times I have stayed in Chiang Mai, I have stayed in a B&B called SK2, it's good for me as its in the old town, walking distance from Sunday Market, Tha Pae Gate and a selection of lovely bars/ restaurants etc. The staff there are very very nice, and for me, it felt very safe, as there was many times I just wanted to wander around at midnight taking in all things Thai, and never once have I felt worried. It also has a pool. The only negative is that the bathroom smelt a little fusty, but at about B800 per night for a double room, I was very happy. Also not important to most people, but there is a little bar open all night, so if you wish to return late, you can have a little night cap.
Anyway, what I would advise, is go on Tripadvisor and put in your search criteria and choose yourself, as there may be many more lovely places .
One piece of advice I do give (as I didn't do when I first started visiting Thailand) is try to eat on the sidewalk restaurants as much as possible, they are very inexpensive, but that's not the main reason, they are places were you eat the most lovely well cooked safe Thai food there is available, it's the way Thai's eat, and you can people watch.
I hope you enjoy searching on the Internet for places to stay etc, I am in Chiang Mai this December so although I am also a novice, we could always say hello in a little Thai bar if you have an evening free
Howie

Anyone have recommendations for serviced apartments or guesthouses Just East of the University?  I'm going to take an ESL certification at a facility just a little East of the Uni.  Desire a single person room with AC/Bath.  Late April to June ~60 days.

Hi Howie

Have just recently retired and am considering spending the Australian winter in Thailand.

Have visited there many times but was with my late hubby then, how do you believe Chaing Mai would be for a single lady .

Also what do you believe it would cost per month to live there. 

Regards
Irene

Very safe//