cost of living in Indonesia

#4 09 June 2011 10:53:08

mas fred
mas fred
Jakarta

Re: cost of living in Indonesia

Cost of living depends on lifestyle.
I'm here with my wife and 3 year old so that should work out expensive but not really so.

House rent - 25 million/year for a new 3+1 bed house in a secure estate.
Service bills - less than 1 million/month and nearer 500,000
Food at supermarkets (Including taxis) - 2 million/month
Other food from kaki lima stalls - 300,000/month

There are foreigners who pay 20+ million per month in rent but I'm sure they can't help being daft.

#6 10 June 2011 16:57:52

sybel_23
sybel_23
Jakarta

For a simple living in Jakarta, one can live up with estimated 3 million a month.

If you choose to live in a kost (boarding house, it will only cost you from 1 million-1.2 million depending on the facilities and the room size.

For the food, if you are living alone and opt to cook, 600,000 to 1 million is fairly enough especially if you buy your groceries in the local market.

Transportation will depend on where do you go. As for me, I spend around 500,000 for a month weekly taxi fare in going to the church and to the mall.

#8 11 June 2011 11:38:52

mas fred
mas fred
Jakarta

Single person's house in a secured and pretty new estate will cost 10 to 12 million/year. BSD/Bintaro and similar)

Cheapest street food from Rp7,000 per meal.

#9 11 June 2011 17:46:45

sybel_23
sybel_23
Jakarta

mas fred wrote:

Single person's house in a secured and pretty new estate will cost 10 to 12 million/year. BSD/Bintaro and similar)

Cheapest street food from Rp7,000 per meal.

Wow! 10-12 million/year for a new estate...that's a good deal.

#10 12 June 2011 07:44:42

mas fred
mas fred
Jakarta

The 10 - 12 million house is pretty common if you're outside the centre of Jakarta.
I'll snap a photo of a couple and post them here in the next few days.
I found them while I was looking for a house in BSD. Mine is a brand new 3+1 bed at 25 million/year.

Note - houses are commonly noted as 3+1. That's 3 bedrooms and a maid's bedroom (Usually very small).
Same goes for bathrooms. This is 2+1. The "1" is a squat toilet with a bucket to shower from. That's "kampung" (village) style.

Last edited by mas fred (12 June 2011 07:45:24)

#11 04 July 2011 06:19:56

ochie
ochie
Jakarta

for single person ,if you are living around kelapa gading,rawangmangun,cempaka putih,pulomas

fully furnished small apartment/flat with 2 bedroom : 2000000-3000000/month (included maintenance+tv cable)
fully furnished studio apartment/flat : 1250000-1750000/month (included maintenance+tv cable+electric + waterpam)
semi furnished small apartement/flatt with 2 bedroom : 14 million-18 million/year (included maintenance+tv cable)
unfurnished small apartment/flat with 2 bedroom : 8-11 million/year

not so far from busway stop for public transport,also there is shuttle bus for tenant to go to mall near by or busway stop near by

#12 04 July 2011 06:21:01

ochie
ochie
Jakarta

ah ya for fully furnished 2 bedroom : 18-25million/year (included maintenance+tv cable)

for food hmm so many kind of food around there, local or non local food.

start 5000 =>nasi udukkk hehehe but small size hihihi

Last edited by ochie (04 July 2011 06:24:27)

#13 06 July 2011 02:22:40

LouroFitness
LouroFitness
Boston

Very useful posts so far! Thanks! Any insights on finding work over there? Or would I be better off buying a place and operating a bed and breakfast/hostel?

#15 06 July 2011 05:52:35

ochie
ochie
Jakarta

try to check out this expat.or.id/info/buyingproperty.html]buying property for foreigner

and this expat.or.id/info/ownershiprights.html]Foreign Ownership Rights

Last edited by ochie (06 July 2011 05:54:28)

#18 02 November 2011 12:53:21

b.allen5494

Hello fellow expats (or soon to be),

I am moving to Jakarta at the end of this month and have been offered a job with EF Central Jakarta. After searching through various blogs, I get the impression that they aren't the best employers. I have been offered accommodation at 7million rupaih. Are they a good company to work for?
Are there better employers?
Are Wall Street or Midwest any better?
Is is worth coming and applying when here?

Thanks,
Bethany

#21 28 January 2013 11:12:49

mehan123
mehan123
tyler

b.allen5494, can you tell me more about EF? 7 million for the accomodations..what did that include? what were they like? How much did ef pay? what was the overall experience like?

#24 22 February 2013 17:59:23

yogeshvk
yogeshvk
Nasik

Hi Freinds,
I am YK from India. I am having a job offer & will be working as an expat in Jakarta in one MNC as OperationS Manager in Engg company. They have offered me net salary of USD 2850/Month(take home after tax). Apart from this they are offering me a free accommodation, a car & driver(driver is optional), children education expenses. I will be shifting with family of five(self, wife, one daughter, Father & Mother).As per cost of living in Jakarta,I need your advise whether I will be able to live comfortable life there? Will there be good saving potential with this offer.

Kindly guide me so that I can take final decision. I would appreciate your reply within next 2 days as I have to take final decision.

Best Regards
YK from India

Expatriate health insurance Indonesia
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Indonesia.
>> Click here
Expat banking Indonesia
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Indonesia
A few tips from professionals about moving to Indonesia.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Indonesia
Don't worry and travel happy across Indonesia.
>> Click here