Veliko Tărnovo

Hi in the Next few months we are hoping to relocate to our new home near VT, can anyone recommend a good builder and window fitter, also has the airport opened for commercial use yet ?
Thanks

Hello Stantheman1.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Bulgaria forum.

A longer introduction would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Stantheman,the airport hasn't opened yet unfortunately although they were in talks with at least one company looking to fly from Gorna Oryahovitsa I believe.

There are a lot of builders in the area, some good and some terrible. Which area of Veliko Tarnovo are you moving to? I can recommend builders and a window fitter if you'd like to PM me for details that would be great.

Hi Sir
I am Axinia Milanova bulgarian citizen. My husband is Belgian an is renovating properties over here for people from abroad . I can send you pictures from his projects if you like . At this moment he is in Belgian by is sister but next week he is back. He has still a lot of work for the next months . You can contact us when you want

Sincerely yours

Axinia Milanova

Hi Axenia,
Thanks for answering our post.
If you could please send some pictures of your husbands work that would be good. Please send them to ([email protected])
We will wanting work done May or June
Again thanks
Tracy

Hi,
I try to send you pictures to my yahoo mail but it's not working ?
Why ?
                                   Axinia

Hi ,

Can you send me a mail to find out what is the problem ??

[email protected]
                                    Thanks

Hi
we currently live in Turkey and before xmas we sent our blood tests off for Rabies on our 3 dogs, we have just found out that they have lost the blood tests and have taken them again today to have there bloods taken again, is there any way we can get into Bulgaria in the next few weeks without having to wait 90 days from the date the blood was taken, i know you could go into Bulgaria from Turkey with out the 90 day clearance up to july 2012 but i then got told it changed,
any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Hi
We ( myself & my wife) are also on the move to VT in the next few months ( depending on how quick we can get the house selling process moving a bit quicker)i am a builder & have a fair few references behind me, i was going to advertise when i arrive to see if anybody needs a good honest fair builder, so if & when you ever need a builder , please feel free to sound me out.

Regards Nigel

Nice one Nigel. I'm also waiting for the house to sell and move to VT area. Had it sold in Dec but deal fell through. Waiting on confirmation of my early retirement package as well but hope to be in VT by summer with a bit of luck. May need a reliable builder so keep in touch or send me yor details

Ron

Hi Nigel
thanks for your reply
looks like you might be there before us.
what village are you moving to (not that i know alot)
we are passing through Bulgaria in May on way to the UK then should be back in Bulgaria June sometime, we will deff be in touch.
is there no job too big or too small?
speak soon
Tracy & Craig

Hi Stan,

Re. The dog situation. When we came in 06 we had a cat in the car from the UK and the BG customs had no interest at all in animals. I know someone who came in with six dogs from the UK two years ago and nobody was interested. I would be surprised if things have changed but maybe a recent arrival could update the situation.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Yes i know that you could take them in with no bother, we came all the way to Turkey with our dogs and noone looked at any papers for the, but last july Bulgaria changed to Eu rules, and it does state that then can destroy your dogs so we not going to risk it.
thanks

Hi Tracey & Craig
Sorry for the delay in replying, yes by all means give me a shout if & when you require any advice or work done. We are still chugging our way along on the selling process, which seems like it is taking for ever, it really is holding things up, but hopefully we will get there soon.

Kind Regards Nigel & Molly.

Don't take the chance with any animals, Bulgaria is part of the pet passport scheme and if your paperwork is correct there won't be any problems.

I could write huge amounts about builders, but by far the best thing to do is come over and ask to see their work, talk to previous clients and don't part with any cash until you are satisfied and know the job will be done correctly. There are many cowboys around eager to take your cash. A good builder with experience and qualifications is worth his weight in gold.

Get quotes from more than one as prices can vary hugely, some thing they can earn a UK wage in Bulgaria, while others just want a decent days wage for a good days work.

Hi there, saw your post, thought i'd drop you a line.  I have a team of builders, including plumbers, electricians, plasterers etc that can do any job thrown at them, but all supervised under UK standards, so the best of both worlds.
I'm in the UK right now, traveling back in a couple of weeks, so please feel free to give me a call.
07552 467 467

I don't think the airport at Gorna Oryavitsa is open internationally yet.  I'm based close to VT too.

Best.

Si

Hi Suzy,
Thanks for your replies.
On a completely seperate issue I was wondering if you knew much about cars in Bulgaria? I have heard lots that contradicts each other and would like to know for certain.
Our plan is to spend about 9 months in Bulgaria and the other 3 months in UK, if I was to get a UK van put onto Bulgarian plates firstly how much would that cost to do? Then how much is it to tax, insure and MOT each year? And once this vehicle is on Bulgarian plates could I (as a UK citizen) legally drive it into the UK for the said 3 months each year? The reason I ask is as you probably know car insurance and tax isn't cheap in the UK and as it was only going to be there 3 months each year it seems a waste.
Thanks in advance
Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Although i dont live in Bulgaria yet i did a lot of homework about the matter.
I wouldn't bring ANY car from UK and put Bulg. plates.
It dosn't worth the hassle. Vans (and cars)are quite cheap in Bulagaria.
To Carry your van will cost you about 2000 euros for shipping, insurance etc. + all the hassle of registering in Bulgaria.

if you open the following webside with google chrome you can have translated a page with cars and prices and you can have some idea.

www.mobile.bg

vangelis

I'd say bring your car, especially if it is something that will not let you down. In my opinion second hand cars can be expensive here, many have high mileage and faults. Plus the Bulgarian roads are not exactly kind on any car.

Registering here depends on the age and KW output of the car, but shouldn't cost much more than 700 leva including vignette, municipality road tax, MOT (preglet) and insurance (3rd party only a required by law). Most places will ask that you change your headlights if it's RHD.

Currently a yearly vignette costs 67 leva per year, standard car. MOT 35 leva approx, municipality taxes are also paid yearly so add another 200 leva approx plus state insurance at approx 220 leva a year. Still cheaper than insuring a car in the UK.

I'm not sure on how many days you can have a BG registered car in the UK, but if it's been registered in the UK previously and you find you need to stay longer than the law allows it's easy to change back to UK plates or so I am informed.

Drive it over yourself and ave on shipping it, petrol/diesel and ferry/eurotunnel costs are much less than 2000 euro

Hi again Suzy,
Thanks for been so helpful.
Cheap compared to UK, sounds like it might suit us to change it.
So as UK citizens we can definitely take a Bulgarian car into UK, your just not sure how long for? Would the Bulgarian insurance cover the vehicle through Europe and into the UK then?
We plan on doing 3 months in UK every year.
Don't mind driving anyway, so wouldn't dream of transporting car.
Again thanks

If you have a good reliable vehicle bring it with you. Getting on BG plates is easier now and all the rest is cheaper. To drive back to the UK you will need a green card which you can get from your insurance company for a bit extra Levs. I'm sure 3 months in the UK is fine on foreign plates. Apparently there is a big problem there anyway with foreign vehicles outstaying their welcome by a very long time. Not much if any check on vehicles coming and going only people.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply.
I had heard about the cost compared to the UK and it did appeal to me. Does changing the plates etc take long to do? Reason I ask is I am actually coming from Turkey with intention of only stopping shortly in Bulgaria before leaving for UK (as I haven't been for a while) I was then planning on staying in UK for a month or so before travelling back to Bulgaria for rest of year. If changing the car only takes a day or two I might change it before going to UK, but if it's weeks then I think I will cahnge it when I get back to Bulgaria. Also you mention the greencard, I was told they had been all but scrapped now as all of Europe countries honour your insurance you have from the country in which it's insured? I don't mind paying extra though to make sure if it's not too much.
Again thanks for info