Probably moving to Surabaya for a year to teach

Im an ESL teacher and Im currently talking with English First to teach in Surabaya (Yes, I know most of the things about English First and some of their schools...however I have heard that the Surabaya branch is great)

One thing Im a little worried about is the food.  Im not big on spicy foods and researching the cuisine 90% has been about the spice haha.  Anyone know if thats how the majority of dishes are??

Hello,

I used to live for 2 years in KL / Kuala Lumpur and I have been many times to Indonesia as salesman. I really like spicy food and it is true that South East Asian food can be quite spicy. But it is no problem to have unspicy lunch/dinner. In Asia most of the people have lunch outside and you will probably do ... For example if you take fried rice (Nasi goreng) there are many things in it and it is a bit spicy. However you can get everywhere (Nasi putih) which means white rice without spice ... with Ayam kampung = wild chicken ...!
Most of the time, the chili is available on small cups and the cooking itself does not contain so much spice.
Do not worry anyway for instance in Indonesia there are a lot of fast food like KFC, Wendys and all burgers are available with original recipy or spicy recype...

Have a great time.

Pierre

You are right the EF in Surabaya is a great organisation to work for. I have heard many good things and met the people in charge of the schools and they are very good.
spicey food here is really up to you, tidak padas normally gets you food without spices and also there are as Batu said many other places to eat. I am not the most enthusiastic person when it comes to eating spicy food and after4 years living here thats not really changed yet I do eat daily Indonesian food and  find its all great.

Hi

Nice to hear that you got an opportunity in Surabaya.  Myself living in Jakarta but I have been there couple times. 

Surabaya is quiet busy city like Jakarta where traffic everywhere and also the heat unbelievable.  Don't worry about the food.  You are correct Indonesian food mostly spicy or even hot.  But as Surabaya is East Java so mostly Javanese food are little bit sweet.  However, still you do not need worry as still you can find rice, fried chicken, potato or vegetables easy.  In fact, Kentucky, McDonald, CFC or Pizza Hut are every corner in Surabaya.

Welcome to Surabaya.  I believe finally you will love the Indonesia food.  Good luck.

Bye

Hmm.. I m sorry of late post.. but hopefully it would be helpful for you Step, And you know.. I live in Surabaya, and sometimes I work as tour guide for someone who know me from cyber / internet (especially via YM) hehe..

Well.. I will not charge you hahaha.. because to sight seeing and walk around is my hobbies.. I ever took Malaysian man to have trip around Surabaya and Malang.. then He came back with his big family to travel in Surabaya.

O

Don't worry about the spicy foods.Because most of them are Javanese,means that they don't eat spicy foods.Their foods are a little bit sweet.I don't really like it,I do love spicy foods!:D

Welcome to Indonesia anw. :)

EF in surabaya was awesome, i used to study english there for about a year.
I live in surabaya for 12 years, and i can tell you that the food there was super. Some of the foods are spicy, but mostly you can ask them to separate the chili.
IMO some food that u have to try:
- soto ayam cak har
- soto madura gubeng
- bebek goreng tugu pahlawan
- nasi gudeg
- nasi pecel dharmahusada

that's my top five list. i hope you enjoy your stay in surabaya

regards,

Riyan